Author Topic: Robert Christopher Packe (born approx 1827?  (Read 12813 times)

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Christopher Packe (born approx 1827?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 25 November 12 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Also baptisms of the Children of Henry and Eliza our side of the County.

Lamport C of E
26 Mar 1823 (born 19th Oct 1822)
Ann Jane PACKE to Henry & Eliza of Harleston gent

All at Harlestone from original registers.

1. Pg. 24, No. 192
Octbr 8th 1824
Robert Christopher ,Son of Henry & Eliza Packe, Harlestone, Gent:

2. Pg. 29, No. 230
May 31st 1826
Henry Vere, Son of Henry & Eliza Packe, Harlestone, Gent:

3. Pg. 31, No. 244
April 13th 1827
Maria, D. of Henry & Eliza Packe, Harlestone, Gent.

5. Pg. 39, No. 310
Novr 18th 1829
Arthur Son of Henry & Eliza Packe, Harlestone, Gent:

Sandy

Census Crown Copyright

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 25 November 12 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Christenings, St Andrew, Harletone, Northamptonshire to Henry/Eliza PACKE;
ROBERT CHRISTOPHER, 08 Oct 1824
HENRY VERE, 21 May 1826
MARIA, 13 April 1827
CHARLES FREDERICK, 22 Sept 1828
ARTHUR, 18 Nov 1829

Christenings, St Nicholas, Twyford, Norfolk, to Henry/Eliza PACKE;
FRANCES CATHERINE, 05 March 1832
VERE, 11 June 1833
HORATIO, 02 Nov 1834
GEORGE, 22 May 1836
WILLIAM, 23 Oct 1837
EDWARD, 14 May 1839

All have Father as Gentleman, Colonel etc.
(Source FreeeREG)

Trish :)

Sorry, already typed it up!
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 25 November 12 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Whoops missed one.

Harlestone P.C.

4. Pg. 36, No. 281
22nd September 1828
Charles Frederick Son of Henry & Eliza Packe, Harleston, Gent.

As the register actually has it written.

Sandy

Census Crown Copyright

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 25 November 12 13:55 GMT (UK) »
VERE Packe and new Wife Caroline Anna Frances are Visiting in Plymouth, Devon in 1851.
Occp Gentleman.
FreeBMD does not have her name on 1851 March Reg.
She was a THOMAS according to Familysearch.
Gosh he was only 17 when he Married.

Eliza Packe was still alive in 1881 in Marylebone, Middlesex.
Daug Frances C is still with her. She is still Unm in 1891/1901 Census.

MARIA Married a Rector and in 1861 Brother William 1838 and Sister Emilie 1841 are Visiting.
Husband is Charles P BUCKWORTH born c 1821 Clay Hall, Norfolk.
They are living in Hampshire.

HORATIO (under Horalio) is in the Royal Navy in 1861.

EDWARD c 1839 is mistranscribed as age 2 in 1861 c 1859 Twyford, Norfolk (have notified). He is Visiting the Ishams in Lamport, Northants.
1851 he is at a School in Sussex.

Sorry to carry on off track but found them interesting and a change from Ag Labs ;D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline calidris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 25 November 12 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Excellent, very grateful for this information.

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 25 November 12 14:31 GMT (UK) »
 :)

After spending 4 hours this morning transcribing Cemetery Records
it made a change to just look at a Parish Register.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 26 November 12 21:49 GMT (UK) »
The following is an extract from the NA Catalogue:

[no title]  DE3969/25  for 1849 - 1851

Contents:
File containing abstract of the diary of Robert Christopher Packe who emigrated to the Falkland Islands on the "Lalla Rookh", extracts from letters by Sir William Wiseman in command of HMS "Dwarf" to his wife in 1881 re Captain Packe and miscellaneous items re Falkland Islands.

It would appear that Robert was named after his uncle who was a Major in the Royal Horse Guards (Blues), and who was killed at Waterloo.

Martin

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 05:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

The name Robert Christopher, as well Vere & Henry Vere, Edward, Horace/Horatio -  all used in the PACKE family for generations!

As Martin found, Captain RC, had an uncle of the same exact name who reached the rank of Major and died at Waterloo.  Captain RC's brother Henry Vere PACKE was a clergyman who had a son also named RC born 1861. Reverend HV (who married twice, secondly to an ISHAM, poss a cousin?) also had a son name Vere b 1862 - and this Vere was one of the PACKE BROS & Co in the Falklands (if not the only PACKE brother by the time he was there).  and it was Vere's  son RC (born in the Falklands ) who died in WW1 - there is a plaque in the Christ Church Cathedral in Stanley in the Falklands dedicated to this young man: http://www.twgpp.org/information.php?id=2699578

Captain RC, had two other brothers: Arthur and Vere . Both were involved in Sheep farming in Uruguay -  Arthur was originally in the Navy. He died in Montevideo in 1855 and Vere in 1857. There were many British farmers in the the Magellanic regions in from around the 1850's onward , and in the 1880's to early 1900's especially, many Falkland Island families immigrated partly or et al to to Chile & Argentina to farm - and likewise many farmers in the mainland also had land in the Falklands. Arthur & Vere may have been the impetus for  RC ended up in that part of the world also? I don't know if the PACKE BROTHERS company extended beyond the Falklands to South American concerns (I'd suspect it did). There was also a PACKE BROTHERS company operating in NZ around the same times and NZ sheep & shepherds/farmers were also very involved in sheep farming in the Falklands & South America.

Robert C PACKE, was acting Governor of the Falklands for a very short period of just over a month, in 1880 so not yet retired to England.  He is also mentioned as being in situ in the Falklands in 1881 :
http://archive.org/stream/cruiseofhermajes01albeuoft/cruiseofhermajes01albeuoft_djvu.txt

Edward PACKE of Fox Bay (his brother) has been credited (rightly or wrongly) with shooting the last  native Fox (the Warrah) on the islands, at Fox Bay in 1874.

It is Vere PACKE b 1862 d 1934 (son of the Reverend HV) who's name & memory is probably the one most Falkland Islanders would come up with if asked today - even me, and he died the year before my father was born -  it's simply a name I've 'known' of all my life.  Most probably because he married a local girl Winifred FELTON (who's grandfather, Sgt Major Henry FELTON had come out to the Falklands as  Chelsea Pensioner settler in 1849).  Vere was the face of PACKE BROTHERS for many of the (now older) islanders or their parents. Vere & Winifred & their sons and often a contingent of her FELTON family, travelled back to the UK quite often as was common amongst the Falkland land owning class, incl  in 1906, 1908 & 1912, 1915 - the latter's manifest (which didn't include son their son RC) said they intended to reside permanently in the UK. During  WW1, Vere signed up for the  FI Defence Force Volunteers and as late as 1919, when their son RC died, they still kept their home in the islands (Sullivan House).  Vere & Winifred's younger son Henry Vere eventually married in the UK and himself had a son Christopher (now deceased) who was born in the UK in the 1930's -  Chris came to the Falklands  as a very young man (about 18) and did his farm cadetship at Fitzroy station (where my Grandparents and their many children, incl my Dad, were still sheep farming/ living . Dad was abt the same age and he Chris used to 'run around together' according to Dad, hunting & shooting geese  being one of their pastimes! Chris left the Falklands in abt 1958 and eventually settled in Australia.
http://thetriangle.org.au/fileadmin/sea/registrations/community/thetriangle/new_triangle/2008/august.pdf

So it wasn't just Captain RC and his brother Edward - their nephew Vere was also part of ( the more modern part)  the  Falkland Islands Story. Perhaps he was their 'heir"?

to be continued......
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 05:40 GMT (UK) »
After Vere PACKE left permanently around WW1, The PACKE BROTHERS company were absentee landlords who owned major parts of the West Falklands  right the way up to 1983 - after the 1982 Falklands War  the company was dissolved and the land sold to the FI Government who then split it up as part of a Land Reform and allocated land to the born & bred Falkland Islanders who actually lived there  and in many cases, who had worked that very land all their lives.

Captain RC, back in the 1850's, started off with land in the  East Falklands, at Port Harriet and at Fitzroy camp (my father was born at Fitzroy!) but then moved on to their principal holding in  West Falklands where they farmed at Fox Bay East & Dunnose Head. This was their largest concern. A PACKE also owned  Port Louis  (East Falklands) but I'm not sure who or when; I think they actually lived there - it may well have been Vere.

As to Captain RC's military career.  I rather think he 'became a soldier for the stipend! Perhaps to afford his adventures or hobbies? He purchased his way up the ranks - under the very archaic British system:
http://www.sfu.ca/~allen/army.pdf

He started at the bottom in 1841 and stayed there for just under 6 years when in the space of 9 mths in 1847, he purchased his way from Ensign to Lt to Captain. From the London gazette:
1/6/1841: RC PACKE, Gent., to be Ensign, 34th Foot, by Purchase
3/2/1847: RC PACKE was promoted Ensign to Lt, 34th Foot, by Purchase
12/2/1847: RC PACKE was promoted Lt to Cptn, 34th Foot, by Purchase

Could be wrong, but I would be very surprised if he ever saw many (any?) minutes of 'action' or inside a barracks as a 'soldier'.

I don't believe he was ever in the Falklands as a serving soldier. If he was ever, it would have been  between 1841 and 1848 and he would have left by 1848 at the latest.  In his tenure as the military Lt Governor,  Moody  pre-1848 apparently had among his merry men some Infantry - but later the men were almost exclusively RN sappers and Engineers, not corps or infantry.  RC  is noted as going to the Islands in 1849 on the ship "Lalla Rookh". This was not a 'troop ship' .  I believe the ship went via NZ (this was a common route) (or that he swapped ship in NZ ) and that he has been recorded as "Captain Parker" on board the Lalla Rookh manifest, here:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~shipstonz/auckland1.html

In 1849, the new 'military' force on the islands was  a garrison of settlers taken from 30  time-expired Chelsea Pensioners and their families, arranged by the outgoing Governor Richard Clement Moody in 1848. These pensioners  arrived in the Falklands on the ship "Hebe" (I think) and RC was not one of their number.   These settlers were supposed to be permanent, but a good number were so unhappy that in 1857 those who wished to, were granted leave to return to the UK.  In 1858, the British government had another go  this time raising a company called the Falkland Islands Company Garrison, made up from Volunteers from the active Army and which comprised of 40 men and families who came on a fixed term of 6 years. They left in 1864 (some of them stayed on as settlers though). I believe this 1858 lot all came to the Islands at the same time on the ship "Ealing Grove' Their leader was Cptn. Charles Compton Abbot of the 47th Foot (and one of his men was my 4xgt-gfather who was definitely on the Ealing Grove with is wife & daughter).   I have an incomplete list of 30 names of this 1858 detachment & RC is  not included  - but in any case, he is likely to already have been in the Falklands for some years by 1858.

As a Gentleman landowner/farmer with his purchased title of Captain, RC would very definitely have entertained CC Abbot, the leader of the Garrison in the Falklands - there wasn't much of a society life there, and I'd say any chance to engage in a bit of English society hob-nobbing would have been seized upon.

I hope this is is of interest and helps your picture of the PACKEs!

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)