Author Topic: Albin Green and family .. Navajo, Arizona  (Read 1264 times)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Albin Green and family .. Navajo, Arizona
« Reply #9 on: Monday 28 July 14 14:22 BST (UK) »
I found an obituary for Ora Stiles in the Long Beach newspaper.  It said she was a native of Wadsworth, Ohio, had lived California for 61 years, and had lived in Los Angeles Co. for 30 years.  She was survived by son Carl C. Hayden of Fort Worth, Texas. 

This appears to be Carl - http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=46615557&ref=acom  That date of birth seems to fit with the 1900 census.

Offline New Zealander

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 28 July 14 21:53 BST (UK) »
Shelly and Sandra

Thank you for your time and interest.

Slowly I am finding my way about the mass of information available .. albiet without a lot of success.

Have found no record of a marriage for Albin Green on the Chronicalingmerica newspaper site up to 1922 including searching in New Mexico and Arizona as well as California but located his Marriage Application dated 1903 for Albin in California.  Family Search information wasn't difficult at all however a death record for Albin Green still escapes me.

I will e mail a request to the Santa Monica Library.  From all the evidence it appears certain that Albin Green died somewhere between 1918 and 1919.

I have no doubt that the A E Green mentioned in the Las Vegas newspaper in 1896 and linked to Ellen Ludeman and her return visit to New Zealand is my Albin Green .. a brother of Ellen Ludemann.  I do not believe that Albin returned to Las Vegas or Arizona (unless briefly) but made his way from San Francisco to Los Angles area where he married a "2nd time" to Julia A Smith.

Without a divorce from his 1st wife Lydia Jane Fergusson in Queenstown in New Zealand (she is recorded as a widow in 1934) this 2nd marriage for Albin would be a case of bigamy ??? .

Albin had been declared bankrupt in 1892 in Cromwell near Queenstown  and wanted to escape his debt and family in New Zealand and make a new life for himself and so made his way to Arizona where he is recorded in the 1900 US Census .. hence his 1st wife believing he was deceased.

Census records have been noted for their "accuracy" and Albin entered the USA after 1892 (not 1891 as declared) and sometime before 1896 where he then hooked up with  his older sister Ellen Ludemann in Las Vegas, New Mexico.

I will see whether the Santa Monica library can locate an obituary for me.

Again thank you for your help and assistance .. much appreciated.

Alex G :)
Glasgow .. Glennie/Bryce, Aberdeenshire .. Glennie/ Grassick,
Clackmannanshire .. Bryce/Miller
Arbroath .. Spink
Oxfordshire .. Green
Cornwall .. Vincent

Ireland (Cobh) .. Sullivan

New Zealand .. Glennie/Bryce/Grassick/Spink/Palmer

Chatham Islands .. Rewai

Australia .. Glennie/Ross/Lusk

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 28 July 14 23:13 BST (UK) »
Any middle name ? There is a California death record for Albin E Green born 1862 and aged 56 years. Died Los Angeles, California 17 December 1918 ?

Sandra

I think maybe this death date that Sandra found is the right one.  Santa Monica is in Los Angeles Co.

Offline New Zealander

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 00:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Shelly

Yes I believe Sandra is correct as well,  this is my "Albin Green". 

I have written to the Santa Monica Library seeking an Obituary and have found the death on the California Death Index.

Have had a search on Find A Grave but nothing showing yet.

Nothing seems to have been published in Newspapers of the period of the Marriage Application by Albin Green or his Marriage in 1903 and 1904.

Your continuing interest is much appreciated .. thank you.

Alex G :)
Arbroath .. Spink
Oxfordshire .. Green
Cornwall .. Vincent

Chatham Islands .. Rewai

Offline New Zealander

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 05:37 BST (UK) »
Greetings

From the Santa Monica Library Digital Newspapers can be found at:-  http://digital.smpl.org/

A search found a reference to the Death of "Al Green" in the Santa Monica Evening Outlook on 18.12.1918 in his Doctors Surgery.  He was selling fishing bait / gear on the Pier when he took ill.

I didn't manage to locate a funeral notice or obituary unfortunately.

From an earlier post  and the New Mexico State Library I have located a Funeral Notice for George Ludemann published in the Las Vegas Daily Optic on May 2nd 1896.  He was a brother in law of Albin Green.  Nothing on his wife Ellen Ludemann who died in 1913.

Alex G
New Zealand
Arbroath .. Spink
Oxfordshire .. Green
Cornwall .. Vincent

Chatham Islands .. Rewai