Author Topic: Llewellyn James Jones (born 1845/1856 in Newport, Mon, died in Pontypridd 1913)  (Read 9041 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi, wondering if anyone fancies a bit of a challenge?

I'm looking for a Llewellyn James Jones, born some time between 1845 and 1856 in Newport, Monmouthshire. Can't find his early years and have no idea who his parents were. The earliest record I have of him is in 1895.

What I have is:
- JunQ 1895, son Arthur Godfrey Leigh Jones born, baptised on 22 Oct 1895 at Llanwonno to Llewelyn James Jones (painter) and Mary Hannah Jones (this should be Mary Anne), 40 Park Street, Aberdare Junction.   
- 1901 living at 134 Norton Rd, Pontypridd, painter aged 45 (around 1856) [RG13; Piece: 4997; Folio: 180; Page: 45] with wife Mary A Jones, 4 of her children from her first marriage, and their son Arthur (4) 
- 1911 living at 134 Bassett Terrace, Norton Bridge, Pontypridd (same house as 1901), master painter, aged 59 (around 1852), [RG14; Piece: 32218; Schedule Number: 208] with wife Mary Hannah, 2 of her sons, and their son Arthur (15). The census also says Llewellyn and Mary Hannah have been married 17 years but I can't find any record of this. Mary Anne (nee Thomas) was previously married to Walter Robert Leigh, who died in 1891 in Aberfan and is buried in Brecon where they were living at the time. I have all the details of Walter and Mary Anne and family. 

Llewellyn James Jones died in March 1913 aged 68 (around 1845). He's buried at Glyntaff (13 March) with Mary Anne who died in April 1915 (buried 3 May). Buried with them is a baby grandson of Mary Anne's from her first marriage.

I can't find a birth for a Llewellyn (tried all variations including Llew*) James Jones in Newport, nor any earlier census records either born Newport, or with occupation painter.

Nor can I find a marriage record for LJJ to Mary Anne Leigh, nor anything after 1911 for their son Arthur.

Any help or suggestions with early records for LLJ, a marriage for LLJ to MAJ, or later records for son Arthur would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Deirdre     
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Llewellyn James Jones (born 1845/1856 in Newport, Mon, died in Pontypridd 1913)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 08:45 GMT (UK) »
Not that this helps much, but I notice that the couple were originally listed as widower and widow in the last census and it would appear that the enumerator has crossed this out and listed the couple as married.

Kay

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Llewellyn James Jones (born 1845/1856 in Newport, Mon, died in Pontypridd 1913)
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kay, I hadn't actually read anything in to that before - and they are recorded as married in 1901 - but maybe that's what the real picture was and they weren't actually married  :-\

Thanks, Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 10:08 GMT (UK) »
I can't see a Llywellyn James Jones born in Newport but there is a James Llywelyn Jones born in June Qtr 1852 in Newport Monmouth Vol 11a Page 152? 

I think he appears as Jusins Jones in 1871 RG10 Piece: 5343 Folio: 60 Page: 20

Kay

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Kay, I'll have a look at that.
Deirdre

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 February 14 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Bit of a long shot on 1881, lodging in Chorlton on Medlock, Lancashire

James Jones  26 - painter/decorator b Newport, Mon
Eliza Jones   30 - rug weaver b Kidderminster. Wife

RG11, 3919, 29, 52

Hmm - Eliza Jones, rug weaver b Kidderminster c 1851 is back in Kidderminster in 1891 and 1901, claiming to be a widow.

May be the wrong James, or they've gone their separate ways

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 February 14 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Bit of a long shot on 1881, lodging in Chorlton on Medlock, Lancashire

James Jones  26 - painter/decorator b Newport, Mon
Eliza Jones   30 - rug weaver b Kidderminster. Wife

RG11, 3919, 29, 52

Hmm - Eliza Jones, rug weaver b Kidderminster c 1851 is back in Kidderminster in 1891 and 1901, claiming to be a widow.

May be the wrong James, or they've gone their separate ways

Gosh Mabel, may be a long shot but that looks promising, thanks. If James and Eliza had simply gone their separate ways it would presumably also explain why he and Mary Ann didn't marry.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 February 14 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Looks like James may have had a troubled life

http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/3419938/ART230/james%20llewellyn%20%20jones

Cardiff Time 12 April 1879 - basically a story about him obtaining gold leaf under false pretences, for which he was sentenced to 9 months hard labour

and again in 1886 - this time obtaining books and internal fittings under false pretences

http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/3365300/ART167/james%20llewellyn%20%20jones

Might be connected - story about a mary Jones assault her husband James Llewellyn Jones in Newport in 1878
http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/3440043/ART29/james%20llewellyn%20%20jones

even possible attempted suicides in 1870 and 1874?
http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/3438816/ART2/james%20llewellyn%20%20jones

http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/3068880/ART26/james%20llewellyn%20%20jones

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 February 14 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Mabel, I'll have a look through those now (I've hardly found anything in the online newspapers so tend to forget to look there). 

I was about to post that I've found a James Jones, painter in Bolton, Lancs in 1891, born 1855 (so far, so good compared to your find in 1881), but he's listed as single and born in Liverpool  ::).

Off to look at those articles now....

Deirdre