Author Topic: Peter Cameron  (Read 16341 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Cameron
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 14 February 13 10:32 GMT (UK) »
So first of all we need to find a death for Donald, to make sure he is the son of Duncan Cameron and Mary Mackenzie. Then see if there is a death for Peter with the same parents.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 14 February 13 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Got to dash off but throwing these into the mix:

The following baptisms to the couple in Abernethy:

1821 Donald
1822 Ann
1825 Alexander
1827 Jannet
1829 Mary
1832 Duncan

brevitas

(I searched 1810 to 1840)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 14 February 13 10:54 GMT (UK) »
There is a possible marriage/banns for Duncan and Mary in 1814 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XT5C-DHW Hard to say as the names are not uncommon! I would guess given the age of young Robert that Peter, father born pre 1820s?

emjaye, we had a possible 1861 census entry at the beginning for a 'Robert Gow, 21, ploughman b. Rosskeen, R&C' and working in Moray in an area fitting with some of the addresses you have so far.

I would like to throw in another possibility for 1861, searching now for a Robert Cameron b. Abernethy with the new refs we have above.

Robert Cameron, 25, ploughman b. Abernethy
Address: Upper Aikenway, Rothes, Moray - at the farm of John McIntosh.

This Robert Cameron does not appear in any future census which is a positive thing at this stage!

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 14 February 13 11:32 GMT (UK) »
So first of all we need to find a death for Donald, to make sure he is the son of Duncan Cameron and Mary Mackenzie. Then see if there is a death for Peter with the same parents.

Donald was the son of Duncan C. and Mary McKenzie. He died in 1887 in Inverness.

Monica

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 15 February 13 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just to say, if anyone is following him,  that the Peter Cameron born Abernethy circa 1817 and living Rothiemay 1841 -> (wife Hellen)  is probably not 'our' Peter.  I found a death for him and he was illegitimate, son of a Jane Stewart  and no father's name given.

brevitas
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline emjaye

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 15 February 13 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

This is the reply from SP:

I have taken a look in the register but unfortunately my colleagues and I are slightly at a loss as how to interpret what's written. Jane's surname was obviously unknown to the informant, hence the line after her forename, but it looks as if he has attempted to guess at it and the clerk has written it down in pencil. The word in ink appears to read 'Fine', although whether that refers to the surname of something else we really cannot say. I'm afraid the writing in pencil is too difficult to make out with any certainty, although it does seem to start with an 'F'.
I'm sorry not to have been of more help in this instance.
Regards,
Roslyn Robertson
ScotlandsPeople
National Records of Scotland
New Register House

not much help I'm afraid......

milford, greenhalgh, childs, norman, (england) tripcony, drew, thomas, boddy (cornwall), hendry, harrold, riach, gray, grant (scotland)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 15 February 13 11:07 GMT (UK) »
So everyone is struggling with what is written there. Worth checking to at least confirm that!

Monica

Offline emjaye

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 18 February 13 02:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,

Having put Jane ? aside for the moment, I have been doing a bit more digging...trying the 'thinking outside the square' approach.

Having found no death record for Peter Cameron pre 1865 in the non Catholic records in SP, I checked their Catholic records and found that a Peter Cameron, born Tombreck, died in Australia (small world moment...) on 3rd July 1862. I checked the Australian death records and found him in Victoria. His occupation is not given, however age is given as 35, born in Banffshire, parents are Donald Cameron, mason and Charlotte. He has been in Victoria 8 years so arrived approx 1854. He was unmarried.

Libindx has his baptism as 18 Apr 1827, parents Donald Cameron, mason of Tombreck and Charlotte Middleton, matching those 1841/51 Census' for Donald & Charlotte. Donald is his father rather than his brother, and died in Tombreck 5th Jan 1856 (also from the Catholic registers). Charlotte died 20th Feb 1874.

I found what looks to be Peter (mason) in the 1851 Census, listed as a visitor in the McGregor household, Auchindrine, Aberdeenshire. The fact that we haven't found him in successive census' would support his going to Australia.

Now, Donald Cameron married Charlotte Middleton 5th June 1821 and their list of children on SP includes Peter, 18th Apr 1827.

Donald Cameron's entry in Libindx has his parents as James Cameron, born abt. 1755, death 13th Nov 1816 and Isobel Stewart, death 11 Dec 1829. James & Isobel's list of children includes Donald, with a brother William.

Brother William's Libindx entry has him marrying one Penuel Middleton 22nd June 1820 and the list of children to William Cameron and Penuel/Jannet Middleton includes a Donald born 18th March 1823.  It seems that brother and sister have married brother and sister. Both Penuel and Charlotte's death records list parents as John Middleton & Mary Cameron, although the father is incorrectly named as James on Charlotte's libindx entry.

This could mean though that the Donald Cameron, informant on the death certificate of Robert Cameron (1865) is actually his father's cousin but he has thought it easier to call himself uncle. However, I have still not been able to find his death record.

Does all this sound plausible??

milford, greenhalgh, childs, norman, (england) tripcony, drew, thomas, boddy (cornwall), hendry, harrold, riach, gray, grant (scotland)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 18 February 13 07:47 GMT (UK) »
The 1841 census (as on FreeCen) suggests that Donald Cameron married Charlotte Middleton in or after 1841 and that the children on the 1841 census were by a previous wife.