Author Topic: Munro Ancestry - Ontario Canada  (Read 1650 times)

Offline Danlou96

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Munro Ancestry - Ontario Canada
« on: Thursday 20 September 12 13:55 BST (UK) »
My ancestors immigrated from Scotland to Canada.

I have traced records to Branford,Ontario,Canada.

Margaret Campbell Munro (born 1825 Scotland - died 1913 in Brantford, Ontario).

Can anyone tell me if her husband Charles Munro also went to Canada. He was born circa 1830 in Elgin,Morayshire,Scotland. I can't find a death record in Scotland so Im wondering if he went to Canada also.

I know their son William Munro immigrated. He was born in 1855 in Scotland and died 1935 in Brantford. I assume they went to Canada during the 1890s.
Any assistance about Charles would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Munro Ancestry - Ontario Canada
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 September 12 18:03 BST (UK) »
Is this William at this link to the 1891 Canada Census (near bottom of second page)? If so, he has 2 children b. Ontario, the first Katie w/h/b b. about 1886. This would give an immigration year between about 1883 and 1885-6, judging by the birth of son Charles in Scotland.

http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/1891/pdf/30953_148162-00573.pdf

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Danlou96

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 September 12 20:21 BST (UK) »
hi polarbear
Thank you for that link. It does look like the family im researching. Still no sign of Charles though. Will need to keep looking.Thank you for your assistance.
Danlou96

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 September 12 21:21 BST (UK) »
Hi again.

I didn't notice that the heading was missing from the link above. The record was from Library and Archives Canada and available for free.

In the 1911 census for this family, available for free from automatedgenealogy.com, both William and his mother indicate they came to Canada in 1883.

http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/SplitView.jsp?id=32100

I haven't found a death for Charles in the available Ontario records. Have you looked at scotlandspeople for a death there? There are numerous hints on the RootsChat Scotland board about how to search the website and narrow down choices prior to spending credits to view records and thus keep the cost down.

I have not been able find any of the family on a ship to this point. It's always possible that they came in through the USA.

PB

Added: it is also possible that the ship records are not on line or that they did not survive.
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline doewanna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Did Margaret Munro have a daughter Hughina Campbell Munro married to Peter Barnett

Offline Danlou96

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 March 14 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that information is correct.

Offline doewanna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 March 14 16:01 GMT (UK) »
My Grandfather was Charles Granville Barnett, son of Peter and Hughina Barnett, Grandson of Charles and Margaret Munro. My grandfather immigrated to Manitoba Canada in 1911. It would be so interesting to share any information with you and find out your connection to this family.donnawagner202@hotmail.com