Author Topic: Sydserff- East Lothian  (Read 24351 times)

Offline carrumba

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sydserff- East Lothian
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 20 February 11 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Heya Hume,

Thanks for that piece on naming traditions... useful bit of info and I cannot believe I didn't see it before!  Makes sense.

With that in mind, I think Alexander's parents are most likely to be James Sydserff and Agnes Guillis.  Unfortunately, I cannot track down anything on the site you recommended, IGI or Scotlands People for a marriage.  The IGI does have them listed as parents at Alexander's birth (1747 baptised 18 Jan, Garvald) but is all I have been able to find so far.  I'll keep poking about today though in between tidying the kitchen and trying to keep the 4 year old daughter in check!

Thanks for all your help so far... is a fascinating search!

Offline carrumba

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 20 February 11 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Had a look at the Dickson side and found the entries you mentioned for Margaret and Shusan (sic) Dickson born as twins 21 Apr 1751.  Parents were John Dickson and Catherine(Katherin) Henderson of Garvald, East Lothian.

Also found:-

Archibald Dickson 27 Mar 1737- Yester
James Dickson 29 Jul 1739 - Garvald
Robert Dickson 26 Dec 1742 - Garvald
John Dickson 3 May 1745 - Garvald
Isabell Dickson 30 Oct 1748 - Garvald
Shusan Dickson 21 Apr 1751 - Garvald
Margaret Dickson 21 Apr 1751 - Garvald
Robert Dickson 4 May 1756- Yester

20 years of having kids... ouch.

Offline carrumba

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 20 February 11 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Aha!
SP website has a birth for James Sydserf born 20/4/1690 in Prestonkirk, E Lothian.
Parents: Archibald Sydserf & Margaret Farmer

Mind you, on IGI i also have:
James Sydeserfe born in Haddington in 1695 to James Sydeserfe and Catherine Sutie

Only results found for a James Sydserf so far.  Will keep looking though.
Still no luck on James Sydserf and Agnes Guillis marriage certificate though.  I am beginning to think marriage entries for that area have been lost or, like you say, just weren't properly recorded.

Offline sasha97

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 20:42 GMT (UK) »
I have most of the sydserff family tree from Alexander and Margaret Dickson onwards.
Some of their children settled in Leith the remainder stayed in East Lothian and were mainly farm workers. My mother was descended from the East Lothian branch.
I believe there is information that has been compiled by someone else researching the Sydserffs at the family history center in Haddington library although I haven't seen it myself.

Children of Alexander and Margaret were: Margaret 1812, Cathrerine 1814, Alexander 1816, Helen 1818, Peter 1820, Francis 1822 and John 1823.

Margaret, Catherine and Alexander all settled in Leith. Helen, Peter and John remained in East Lothian and the last entry I have been able to find for Francis was in London.

Would be happy to share the info I have - not sure how much detail you want.

Offline carrumba

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Sasha97>

Fantastic!  Any info that you have would be most welcome and i can pass it on.  The person I am researching for is descended through Alexander and Leith.  From what you have said so far, it looks like I have got everything right so far... which is a relief!  Always good to get independent confirmation of your findings.

Anything you could share would be most appreciated.  Message me and I'l pass on my email :-)

Interesting to know there may be more info in Haddington Library.  Excellent!

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Great new Carrumba!

Welcome to RootsChat Sacha  :)

Sacha needs to post at least 2/3 times before the Private Message service (PMs) is activated though. A couple of more posts here on the main forum, Sacha, and you should then be able to exchange personal emails via the PM system.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sasha97

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 23 February 11 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Hope these attatched files work.

Offline sasha97

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 23 February 11 15:42 GMT (UK) »
All the information I have re the Sydserffs have been obtained from the records on scotlands people site, or the IGI plus some family records so should be reasonably accurate.

Offline carrumba

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 23 February 11 19:21 GMT (UK) »
will be interesting to look at so I can check what I have so far.  After my initial excitement I looked at the tree I had created so far and the D.O.B's you'd quoted were in the early 1800's whereas  the births I had were mid 1700's.  Also...couple of childrens names were different.  Could be that I was looking a generation back so I look forward to seeing your trees. :-)  My work too has been gathered from IGI and SP as haven't found anyone else with a Sydserff tree so far!  Heheheh.   ;D

**EDIT**

Phew!  Yes, I mis-read your earlier post and was looking at the wrong generation!  Hooray!  Thank you so much!  There are dates of death, occupations etc that I hadn't found so far.  Much appreciated.  I am in the process of trying to take the line back further - i'll let you know of anything that I can nail down as definite.  I possibly have the parents of Alexander (born 1787) but would like to check a few other bits and pieces out before I commit to it. 

Interesting that you have Alexander dying in Prestonkirk as that is the possible location i have for the birth of his father.  Interesting...  :D