Author Topic: John Robinson of Dunstable & Elizabeth Rudd of Wandon End  (Read 7838 times)

Offline BlackpoolBelle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Robinson of Dunstable & Elizabeth Rudd of Wandon End
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 November 13 23:11 GMT (UK) »
UPDATE:
Thank you to the contributors - I have subscribed (just for 2 days) to the newspaper archives and have found lots of details, mostly about John & a little about the 2nd Elizabeth.

I still can't find much about the 1st Eliz - any tips on searching please?

Thanks for the link to the marriage announcement Mabel - I now have a firm date for the first marriage, but when I searched myself on Familysearch I couldn't get any documents at all! What might I be doing wrongly? Very frustrating!

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 28 November 13 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Caddington PR marriage on 29 Aug 1850
John Robinson, bachelor of full age, grocer of Dunstable, father John Robinson, grocer
to Elizabeth Rudd, spinster of full age, of Caddington, father William Rudd, farmer
Witnesses : Henry James Staley & Sarah Robinson

Ancestry has his non-conformist baptism record, born 8 June 1823 at Long Buckby to John Robinson & Elizabeth, daughter of William & Esther Haynes; baptised on 18 Sept 1823

Throughout the censuses Elizabeth Rudd was born Wanden End Herts.... but her marriage says her abode is Caddington. In 1841 there are 2 Elizabeth Rudds both having father William Rudd who is a farmer - helpfull!. The first b 1821 parents William & Sarah Rudd at Touches Farm Caddington & the second b 1826 parents William & Elizabeth Rudd of Beechwood Green, Kings Walden. Which one? Wanden End is only 1.9 miles from Kings Langley & interestingly there's a non conformist Wesleyan baptism of Elizabeth Rudd along with siblings Phillip & Mary from Beechwood Green, Kings Langley with her birth date 11 April 1820   
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline BlackpoolBelle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 28 November 13 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much John - all good info.

I think the first reference for Elizabeth is correct as I've found the news report of her death in 1899 which says "of Zouchs Farm" - but still no birth date. Caddington seems to be the parochial registration place for Wanden End, but still confusing as she lived at Caddington. Interestingly, a Google search brought up that Zouches Farm still exists! I think the baptism ref could be right with the birthdate, as being born in the week following the census date could add a year to the "about" date.

The Wesleyan baptism reference is also interesting - I found a clipping which refers to a sampler in the sunday school made by local children, including Elizabeth Rudd aged 7, but Breachwood Green is a relatively long way from Caddington & particularly Zouches Farm - do you think it likely she would have gone that distance to church/school?

As John Robinson was a Wesleyan lay preacher, and the family attended the Waller St chapel in Dunstable, I think Eliz was probably buried in that graveyard - do you have any idea if the graveyard still exists? I know the church was decommissioned a long time ago. Possibly someone with access to graveyard transcripts might have the info.

I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on all this.

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 29 November 13 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello, think we can ignore the Elizabeth Rudd of Kings Walden, daughter of William & Elizabeth. Seems she married Samuel Wilson on 16 Sept 1847 at Trinity Church in St Marylebone (found via FreeBMD & Ancestry's London marriages) on the hunch that on 1851 census, living next door to her parents in Breachwood Green, were Samuel Wilson, Wheelwright & wife Elizabeth born 1820 Kings Walden & then confirmed in 1861 when Samuel & Elizabeth Wison & family had living with them widowed mother-in-law Elizabeth Rudd.

So you now concentrate on the Elizabeth Rudd daughter of William & Sarah of Zouches Farm, Caddington.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------