Author Topic: South Laggan Church  (Read 8319 times)

Offline amh155

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
South Laggan Church
« on: Wednesday 23 July 14 13:17 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Can anyone help with information about South Laggan Church, near Laggan Bridge? There are supposed to be a list of memorials to several deceased persons inside the church, and I wonder if anyone knows the names on the list, as I have ancestors who lived near there from 1850's on.
Also are there any graves as my ancestor died there in 1916.
Hoping to hear from someone.
Regards,
AMH

Offline Agneshill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: South Laggan Church
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 July 14 07:45 BST (UK) »

I don't have photos of the inside of the church but here are a couple I took a few years ago of the outside showing the graveyard.

MacKenzie
MacLeod
Mathesons in U.S.
MacLeay

Offline amh155

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 July 14 08:07 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Thank you so much for these fantastic photos. I'm amazed at what is there. One day I'll have to see whether any of my McKinnon's have headstones.
Regards,

AMH

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 July 14 10:13 BST (UK) »
AMH,  the Laggan website,

http://laggan.com/church.htm

There are a couple of mural monuments inside the church, but to lairds family members as I recall. The Highland Family History Society might have a booklet on the monumental inscriptions in the kirkyard.

http://www.highlandfamilyhistorysociety.org

You might confusing the church with  the old parish kirk St Kenneth's, Aberarder at the head of Loch Laggan, roofless, it has gravestones inside & out, particularly RC's. Sounds more like it?

http://vitacollections.ca/ogscollections/2727585/data

www.scotsgenealogy.com

http://www.cushnieent.force9.co.uk/Moray%20Churches/logykenny.htm

Some parish family history,

http://www.clan-macpherson.org/museum/documents/alang02.pdf

Skoosh.

Offline amh155

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 July 14 07:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you for such great help. I have done some more digging and believe the Church in these photos above is NOT the South Laggan one I seek, as it was too old. I found a photo of a more modest chapel (built 1820) when it was for sale, and there don't appear to be any headstones. No nearby graveyard was mentioned in the specifications for the sale (maybe not a good selling point!).
Using the Highland FHS link I was able to find the next generations of McKinnons buried at Invermoriston. So I can add a few more leaves to the branches.

Many thanks to you both for your replies. This is such a great site.
Regards,
AMH

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 July 14 07:31 BST (UK) »
A mention of the 2 churches here.

http://www.scottish-places.info/parishes/parhistory383.html

Regards

Malky

Offline Agneshill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 July 14 07:34 BST (UK) »
As a matter of interest, what is the name of the church you found and, importantly, in which parish?
I may have a photo in my files.
MacKenzie
MacLeod
Mathesons in U.S.
MacLeay

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 July 14 10:35 BST (UK) »
Agnes,  St Kenneth's is in the parish of Laggan, Badenoch. South Laggan by the way, is in Lochaber, no connection to Laggan Bridge. There are quite a few Laggan's but only one parish of that name.
The chapel you refer to was St Michael's, also Laggan, built by the MacNab laird of Dalchullie for the crofters of Crathie who were RC's. It was taken down when the last of the Crathie folk left when the Spey Dam was constructed by Britiah Aluminium, flooding their fields. No burials at that site, the Crathie folk used St Kenneth's. They were apparently quite easy going in their beliefs, if there was no priest available they just went to the Free Kirk in Laggan. It's a well maintained ruin, (burned down), the former manse is a hotel (The Monarch, closed at the moment), on the opposite side of the Spey from Laggan Kirk.
 If your folk attended the Free Church (most folk did) or the Church of Scotland they would probably be buried at the Laggan church but possibly St Kenneth's if they lived that side of the parish, it wasn't exclusively Catholic.

Bests,

Skoosh.

Offline amh155

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 26 July 14 05:47 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,
Thank you for all this wonderful information. The chapel I seek doesn't seem to have a name, but Col Alister McDonell had it built in 1820 for the workers on the Caledonian Canal. My ancestors were married elsewhere but probably worshiped there, living at Laggan Locks and later Laggan Bridge for about 70 years. It was listed as Episcopalian at one time. On death records for my McKinnons, the district is Glengarry. Hope this clears up the confusion.
AMH