Author Topic: big family.  (Read 2640 times)

Offline xpq194z

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
big family.
« on: Monday 21 July 14 00:13 BST (UK) »
 Hello
 .      Can any-one point me in the right direction please.had a visit from a family tree member who lives in blackpool.she is 77. told me used to visit me aunt in selby always as a child. she remembers was a big piece on my aunt in the news of the world.as to having the largest family living in selby.
 now with a name like smith.it will be hard to find what year.to search.apart from the two address,
first douglas street.then moved to abbotts road.in selby.but am wondering.how to search.as not on line .and cannot get to London.
                               mike
 ps
 alice smith died in 1949.born 1873.in tadcaster.married 1897 leeds.lived in selby all her married
 life,
selby.yorkshire.
names.smith.hobman.lazenby.earl.abbey.walton.russell.to name a few.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: big family.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 July 14 09:17 BST (UK) »
If you have access to the 1911 census, Alice & Thomas Edward Smith can be found living in Selby, with 6 children.

The marriage was in 1893! ;D

September qtr 1893
Leeds district    vol 9b, page 769
Smith, Thomas Edward
Lee, Alice

Using FreeBMD (.org.uk), and searching for Smith births, with a Mother's maiden name of Lee, period 1912 to 1950, in Selby,  shows another 4 births.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 July 14 09:26 BST (UK) »
Deleted my post as I see I missed reading the end of KGarrard´s post so I drew a wrong conclusion.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 July 14 09:29 BST (UK) »
1901 census: Class: RG13; Piece: 4459; Folio: 62; Page: 6
North of Highway, Eight & Forty, Scalby, Yorkshire

Smith, Thomas Edward  Head  M  30  Brickyard Labourer  b Selby
Smith, Alice  Wife  F  28  b Tadcaster
Smith, Thomas E  Son  M  5  b Selby
Smith, Rose  Daughter  F  3  b Selby
Smith, Florence  Daughter  F  1  b Selby
Lee, Christiana  Sister  F  17  Cotton Card Room Jobber  b York

Info re Eight-and-Forty:
The village of Newport today stands on what was then a 5000 acre fen, or marshy common, known as Wallingfen. In past centuries, forty-eight local parishes had rights of grazing on the common; they met regularly from at least the 14th century onwards in order to discuss rights and regulations. Tradition says that they gathered in a small building at Scalby (between Gilberdyke and what is now Newport), which was known as the 'Eight and Forty House' in recognition of the number of parishes represented. This house was surrounded by several cottages which still today go by the name of 'Eight and Forty'.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline xpq194z

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 July 14 11:07 BST (UK) »
Hello K.Garrad
                Thank you very much.for the information.it was very good of you.but do have all the innformation.about.alice and tom.smith.maybe stated my querry wrong.if so sorry.its whats may have been said.in the news of the world .would like to see.as told a photo of them is in the paper..have 1911 census taken long time ago.but do not have the end pieces.belive to say.what heath etc of family is.often wondered if should get them all again.so thank you again.
           mike
 ps
 sorry did not read the wonderful information about eighty and four.did not have the faintest idea.why called that.thought unusual name,
                          mike
selby.yorkshire.
names.smith.hobman.lazenby.earl.abbey.walton.russell.to name a few.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 July 14 11:19 BST (UK) »
The News of the World is part of News International.
So maybe best to use their Archives? For which a subscription is required!
 http://archive.timesonline.co.uk/tol/archive/