Author Topic: Colchester Work House  (Read 15573 times)

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
Re: Colchester Work House
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 May 11 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hi T Mo.

Good to have a direct rellie who died in Colchester. He was of nearby Birch. The Poor Law Union was founded in 1834 but I have done a bit of reading and it says St Marys Hospital was in action from 1818 to 1993. I suppose it was in the workhouse buildings?

Ben
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 05 May 11 18:05 BST (UK) »
hi ben
i must be honest i hadn,t thought  as to what was on the site of st mary,s before the workhouse was built if anything as the union workhouse was built in 1836/7 and incorporating an infirmary .
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 05 May 11 19:47 BST (UK) »
Hi

I reckon the infirmary was probably St Mary's or something. My ancestor died of bronchitis.

Ben
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline vabbott

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 06 May 11 15:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks Trevor
Yes I can recollect that that building being a mental institution now you have said that and I always thought that the workhouse was on Balkerne Hill which according to www.workhouses.org.uk it was but it still does not explain why on the 1911 census the address is given as North Station Colchester
Hi There
probably because he Essex Hall was actually right alon side the Colchester North Station  When my father was a young soldier coming home on leave (he was stationed here) he was quite proud that lots of girls waved to him and his mates as they left the train lololol Thought he had pulled.No comments from you Trev
Ronnie :)

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 06 May 11 16:35 BST (UK) »
now as if i would  ::) , i wonder did your dad ever say if he came back on the milk train early in the morning about 4 o clock like mine did then have to jump off early as it was pulling in to the station cos he hadn,t got a ticket  ;D .
anyway it,s taken you long enough to pick up on this thread hasn,t it or are you having trouble keeping up these days  ;D ;D ;D, do us a favour next time your in the library see if there,s anything relating to wether there was any sort of building on the st mary,s site before the workhouse was built or if it was open fields which i wouldn,t be surprised if it wasn,t only i would think rawston rd and manor rd were built late in the 1800,s /early 1900,s ,.
good to see you about ronnie it,s been a while now since we had a bit of banter  ;)
trevor

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 06 May 11 16:51 BST (UK) »
In 1904 the Registrar General had the law changed so that every workhouse had to have an address that did not state Union Workhouse.

The law was not changed, it was the Regulations issued for the guidance of Registrars. From 1st. January 1905 Registrars of Births and Deaths were authorized by the Registrar-General to omit all direct reference to Poor Law Institutions in future entries recording births of persons in them, and to describe the place of birth with an alternative address which the Guardians may suggest and as may be approved by him. In 1919 it was also applied to  future entries recording the deaths of persons in them.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline vabbott

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 07 May 11 11:07 BST (UK) »
now as if i would  ::) , i wonder did your dad ever say if he came back on the milk train early in the morning about 4 o clock like mine did then have to jump off early as it was pulling in to the station cos he hadn,t got a ticket  ;D .
anyway it,s taken you long enough to pick up on this thread hasn,t it or are you having trouble keeping up these days  ;D ;D ;D, do us a favour next time your in the library see if there,s anything relating to wether there was any sort of building on the st mary,s site before the workhouse was built or if it was open fields which i wouldn,t be surprised if it wasn,t only i would think rawston rd and manor rd were built late in the 1800,s /early 1900,s ,.
good to see you about ronnie it,s been a while now since we had a bit of banter  ;)
trevor
Hi Trev
\Yes of course I will see what I can find out in the library next week As you say there are so many fields i.e Hilly fields etc  but being just outside Balkerne gateway ther could have een something else there earlier
....I did see the thread but I knew you could handle it on your own  and yes dad did jump off the milk train hahahah
Glad you are still about too  Annabel has been in Scotland tahts why she has been quiet  :)
Take care
Ronnie

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 07 May 11 11:39 BST (UK) »
whato ronnie

good girl i knew i could rely on you  ;D .
blimey annabel gets about then is she searching for your rellies  ? or off on a ramble looking for hers only i couldn,t keep up with you 2 half the time near the end too many pm,s flying about to make sense of half of it mind you i,ve never met a man yet that can keep up with women your a different breed altogether from mere mortals  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D, i,m sure the word tangents was invented just for women you go off on so many  ;D ;D ;D ;D.

think i,ll quit now this holes getting mighty deep .

best wishes
trevor ;)

Offline vabbott

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 08 May 11 12:48 BST (UK) »
Yes you are getting in deep hahaha
We did do a couple of pm's rather than on here as we werent too sure that it was a rellie :-\ John Jenkins  and theresa Anderson were the couple in the murder and suicide and I needed her adress to forward the copies of the inquests etc
People who had been following the thread might have been misled.  I am sure if she find out they were related in any way she will come back on here with details Although we never did get any nearer to her ggfathers birth Jury still out on that one
The Essex Hall was originally built as a Railway Hotel.thought you might like to know that  ;D ;D ;D
speak in the week if I find out anything more on St Marys area
Regards
Ronnie :)