Author Topic: John BOARDMAN and Sarah RANKIN - Rayne  (Read 2021 times)

Offline Melbell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John BOARDMAN and Sarah RANKIN - Rayne
« on: Sunday 21 September 14 18:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Everybody

Over two years ago I was given a lot a help when searching for the birth/baptism of Emma RANKIN in Rayne or Bocking.

I am now almost certain that she is the Emma RANKIN born 23 September 1821, baptised 17 March 1822 at the Independent Chapel in Braintree, the daughter of John BOARDMAN and Sarah RANKIN "of Rayne".

Now I am having problems finding out about these parents.  I presume they were not married (all other couples in the baptism register are listed under the one married surname). 

A John BOARDMAN married Mira HAIWARD/HAYWARD on 25 December 1815 in Braintree.

A John BOARDMAN and Anna THOMASON (can't find a marriage) were the parents of several children, the first of whom was Eliza born Rayne 31 October 1823; the others were born in London.
(Eliza emigrated to the USA as a teenager, and it's easy to find out about her by Googling).

In 1841 Emma RANKIN was living in Bocking with Amelia RANKIN aged 70 (only two in household).  I suspect Amelia was Emma's grandmother.  Amelia CRACKNELL married James RANKIN  10 May 1789 in Bocking and had at least 5 children, including Sarah baptised 18 April 1797 who could be Emma's mother.  But I found someone on line saying that this Sarah had died in 1815 - oh no!

I'm now a bit stuck, and wonder if anyone out there knows anything more about these people which would help me to prove that they were Emma's relations please?

At marriage Emma named her father as John RANKIN but I wonder if that was just for convenience, perhaps an amalgam of John (BOARDMAN) and (Sarah) RANKIN?

Melbell.

Offline shirl100

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John BOARDMAN and Sarah RANKIN - Rayne
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 October 14 16:57 BST (UK) »
Hi there

On familysearch there are:-

Sarah RaMkin burial Braintree  Parish Church 10 October 1815 - from Bishops Transcripts so that might be the burial the on line resource is referring to. (There is another Sarah RaMkin death in 1863)

Sarah Rankin q/e Dec 1865, Braintree Reg District vol 4a page 19
Sarah Rankin q/e Dec 1882 Braintree Reg District vol 4a page 480, age 81years

Also a non conformist burial Sarah Rankin 11 Jul 1841 - might be a good one to check out if she can't be found after the 1841 census which was taken 6th June. I can't find anything yet for the death registration in 1841

Shirl

North,Noble,Harrison,Seller - North Riding Yorks parishes
Brown,Brooks,Watson - Belper/Duffield Derbys
Hole - Ashover Derbys
Webb, Flavell, Mason - Staffs (mainly Sedgley)
Bevan,Beamond - Chirbury Shropshire
Longridge - Northumberland/Durham
Freeman - Hampshire, Oxfordshire,Sussex
Smith - Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Whitehead - Yorkshire
Morris - St Pancras Yorkshire etc

Offline Melbell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: John BOARDMAN and Sarah RANKIN - Rayne
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 October 14 15:31 BST (UK) »
Dear Shirl

Thanks very much for taking an interest in this problem and looking stuff up for me.

There are only 3 or 4 Sarah RANKIN/RAMKINs in the 1841 and 1851 censuses for the area who could be Emma's mother (given their ages) but of course, if Sarah hadn't died she could well have married after Emma's birth.

I am wondering if there would be any information in the parish chest but perhaps if John BOARDMAN openly acknowledged he was Emma's father the authorities might not have had to pursue him for financial support? 

I think I might have to go searching in SEAX a bit more!

Melbell.