Author Topic: Phimister / Torey  (Read 13034 times)

Offline Jamesf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Phimister / Torey
« on: Tuesday 16 November 04 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Help! I'm looking for any info on John Phimister who married Janet Torey (b17.6.1781) on 9.12.1801.
Any info on John or his parents would be great. He may have been born in Birnie, Moray.
That's about all I know.
Thanks

James
Ferguson, Carmichael, Patterson, Carruthers, Phimister, Jolly

Offline lesleyY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Phimister / Torey
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 March 05 02:42 GMT (UK) »
John Phimister & Janet Torrie/Torey are my direct ancestors.

ancestry in Aberdeenshire, Banff, Kent, Kincardineshire, Moray and West Yorkshire.

Offline lesleyY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 June 05 01:11 BST (UK) »
have an update  -at last... :D
John Phimister b. 5 Sep 1770 to Robert Pheemister/ Phimister & Margret Dunbar in Birnie (they were married 26 Dec 1766)
he has sister Janet b.24 Oct 1767, and 2 brothers Robert b. 24 Jan 1772 and Alexander b. 7 June 1774

John's father Robert had a brother William Fimister (note the vicar differentiated between the two brothers by changing the spelling of their surnames).
William married Helen Robb and had issue

John is Phimister
William is Fimister and their father and grandfather were Pheemister.
all within 2 years of records... hence difficulty finding them.

But Robert Pheemister's father also Robert Pheemister died in 1770, and left a will of sorts which was noted 2 years later 1772.
It mentions him leaving his possessions to his 2nd wife Isabel McKenzie.
Also mentions that Robert Pheemister Jr is at Newlands of Shoggle, Birnie which is where his son John was also, with Janet Torey till he died.
Robert Pheemister senior and son William Pheemister were in partnership at Bardonside Farm Birnie. with William owning 1 fourth share.

No mention of Robert Pheemister seniors 1st wife and presumably mother of Robert Jr & William.

But at least we've moved back 2 more generations.

BUT as they are the only Phimisters in Birnie Parish, and the Will links all of them together, The odds are pretty high they are indeed the right ones.

This would also explain the names John & Janet gave their children

Margaret, Jean, Robert, Janet,Ann, John, Joseph,Alexander, Isobel, Elizabeth & Mary .
-Margaret married John Baron in Birnie 21Dec1825 and Mary married John Scott 31 Dec 1843.

I can't see me getting any further back on the Phimisters but you never know...
ancestry in Aberdeenshire, Banff, Kent, Kincardineshire, Moray and West Yorkshire.

Offline Jamesf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 June 05 15:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks, for that, any info you can give me on the Torey side would be greatly appreciated.

regards

James

Offline lesleyY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 July 05 18:51 BST (UK) »
Torey info, sorry took so long but my family tree PC was powerless for 4 months.
Mercifully it's back working, so this is taken from it.
It definitely needs to be double checked, as it's so long ago that I got the Torey details.

Janet Torey daughter of Joseph Torrie b.23 Nov 1746 Birnie & Margaret Anderson (I have no info on her)

Joseph, son of George Torrie b.1709 Dyke & Janet Bremor b.15 April 1710 in Rothes

George, son of David Torie b.1681
David, son of James Torie b.1648 in Drainie
James, son of David Torrie

Janet Bremor,daughter of Alexander Bremmer d.1724 & Isobell Roy d. before 1724
both born approx 1685.
They were buried Rothes Kirkyard, and someone did post the monument inscription for them online about 5 years ago, but I can't now find it.
They had quite a large family, and the details gave dates for most of them.

If your investigations throw up any different info for the Torey/Torie/Torrie family please let me know.

Offline Jamesf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 July 05 15:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks again, if I find anything else I will let you know

Offline 5thRanger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 August 05 03:02 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Just curious about some things. My name is Lisa Torey. I am married to Timothy Torey of Wa state. His family line can only be traced to Roy Alonzo Torey of Canada.
My husbands grandfather, was Roy Farnsworth Torey born in Edmonton Alberta Canada. Roy Alonzo m Dorothy Farnsworth (unfortuantely I do not have the dates currently in front of me). We at one point thought that Roy Alonzo came from the descendant line of Alexander George Torey from Scotland in the mid 1800's but the dates do not match up.
Roy Alonzo served in WWI with 16th Calgary Highlanders, but unfortunately his military records did not turn up any birth info, he died somewhere in the midwest US. My husbands grandfather (Roy Farnsworth) died in 1998 and unfortunately did not turn up any information on his father...any help would  be greatly appreciated. We do believe that this line of Torey's is also connected somehow with the Torey's in Massachuesetts and New Hampshire, as Dorothy Farnsworth Torey was from the line of William Farnsworth of Washington, New Hampshire.
Sincerely,
Lisa Torey
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline 5thRanger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 August 05 03:11 BST (UK) »
Leslie,
I noticed you said that Elizabeth m Charles Grant, my husbands grandfather did tell us before his death that his mother said that there was Grant/Frazier linage on the side of Roy Alonzo Torey... just FYI, maybe with your help we could put this together. I will be glad to pull my records out and share them with you. I do know that an article came out shortly after WWI, which stated "Roy Torey visiting relatives in Haverhill, was recently discharged from service with a Canadian Regment." This was from a newpaper in Boston.
Thanks,
Lisa Torey
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline John phimister

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 July 08 19:45 BST (UK) »
 My name is John phimister and i am a direct decedent of phimister/ torey. My great grandfather  james live in and died in Elgin high st, his son James killed in the first world war is misspelt on the Elgin war memorial. My grandfather John ( jack) moved to Fife when the great war finished and the family now lives in Kirkcaldy. I am also  called Jack