Author Topic: Riach & Younie families, Moray and beyond  (Read 42721 times)

Offline Cherrytree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Riach & Younie families, Moray and beyond
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 11 June 05 00:56 BST (UK) »
Sorry I don't have any information relating to Younie family from Rafford at this time. I wish you well in your hunt.
Mine all seem to be around the Knockando area at the moment not that can't change very quickly. My primary family is the Black family from this area.
Wendy

Offline genjunction

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 11 June 05 09:27 BST (UK) »
My aplogies for not writing sooner, not been on and checked for a while.   :-[

Chalmers / Younie

John Younie and Janet Chalmers are in my tree via the marriage of a George Younie and Helen Riach in 1879.

John & Janet being the the great grand uncle and aunt of George Younie b 1850.

The link is

George Younie 1850
James Younie 1814
George Younie 1785
Alexander Younie 1761 **
George Younie 1723
(**George being a poss father for Alexander)

or James Younie 1814 could have George Younie & Margaret Findlay as poss parents.

I seem to have a split line with two  lots of parents 

BUT the George b 1785 seems the most likely as the other parent would only have been 17 - not inpossible or inprobable but I seem to lean towards the older line

I have the line mainly from George Younie 1850, sideways, frontways etc.

:-\

Carol
www.wakefieldfhs.org.uk
Wakefield Family History Sharing
Siddle, Sklinar, Officer, Hebden, Riach, Younie, Mitchell aka McKandie, Algar, Wilkinson, Haverson, Mucklow,
www.wakefieldfhs.org.uk

Offline RBcabal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 12 June 05 21:43 BST (UK) »
Might I suggest you have a look at the Morayshire Heritage Centre, based in Elgin, which has a very informative database. You will find it at : http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp.

Bill
Kelbie, Jamieson, Keith, Williamson, Cameron, Stewart, White/Whyte (Scottish Travelling Families)

Offline Julz MM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 June 06 12:50 BST (UK) »
I have Jannet Younnie, my 5th G Grandmother, daughter of John Younie.

John b. Mar 1756 Rothes
Jannet b. Feb 1781 Rothes

I dont know who Jannets mother was.
Jannet married William Siveright in 1797 in Rothes.

Regards
Julia

Offline Younie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 12 June 06 22:40 BST (UK) »
HI Julia,
Your Janet b. 1781 is the daughter of John b. 1748 ( most likely in Dundurcas Parish) and Janet Chalmers of Rothes, Morayshire.  John is the son of George Inie of Rothes, who farmed at Overton Farm which is part of Easter Elchies now connected to McCallum Distillery, Morayshire.  This Janet Younie married  John Black and had six children.
My husband, Guy is a direct descendant from John who was his 5 gg grandfather.  I have a great deal of information regarding this family and their immigration to Canada and the US.
Would be happy to share information with you.
Pat Younie
Younie, Howarth,

Offline Julz MM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 13 June 06 10:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat

I think then maybe I have the wrong family here LOL. It wouldnt be the first time.

The reason I got this Janet was from her daughter. My Janet married William Siveright in 1797 in Rothes, and I have never found any other information about her, so unless she remarried John Black then I am totally stuck again with this family. And then I searched back through the IGI so probably totally wrong.

As far as I am aware Janet and William Siveright had only 1 child Janet b April 1802 in Boharm. But William did remarry in Feb 1802 before Janet was born (he married Margaret Brown) and i have much information from this marriage. So she could have married again.

If she did remarry John Black i would love to here more from you.

Regards
Julia
Dundee, Scotland

Offline Julz MM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 13 June 06 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat again

Just been on a search on the NAS after reading an above post of yours, regarding George Younie b 1785 and to see if there were any files regarding divorce or something against a Janet Younie.
Regarding murder of his wife in 1856. Mind you he was 71 years old and i can only imagine it was on compassionate grounds at that age. Verdict: Not guilty, Sentence: Assoilzied simpliciter and dismissed.
Probably a very sad story. His wife was Margaret.

Julia

Offline Younie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 16 June 06 04:21 BST (UK) »
Julia,
I think I have some information about Janet Younie and Silverwright.  I need to get into my paper files.  Seem like someone sent me some information about this union at one time and since it wasn't our family line, I filed it.  Will get back to you after I have had a chance to locate the information.
Pat
Younie, Howarth,

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 25 June 06 22:29 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know how I can obtain information about the old Rafford Church in Moray? Elspet Younie, daughter of John Younie (son of William Younie and Janet Duncan) and Elspet Key is my paternal gggg grandmother. I understand she, her husband (my gggg grandfather) James Mellis and her parents (and other Younie family members) are buried at Old Rafford Church.

Am interested in corresponding with others researching Younie family. Does this Younie branch tie into the Riach and Younie family?     
Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Denmark - Alling/Aalling, Lastein, Lund, Rasmussen