Author Topic: REV JULIUS BENN - MATLOCK 1883 Murder - Burial Location  (Read 6845 times)

Offline Moosie100

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: REV JULIUS BENN - MATLOCK 1883 Murder - Burial Location
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 14 June 14 09:34 BST (UK) »
I know about the findagrave article as I wrote it and go by the name of Moosie, but thank you for checking for me and replying.
I will contact the record office on Monday and see what records they hold and thanks for the tip, live in London so could of been a wasted journey.

Offline Trish1908

• RootsChat Extra
  • I am what they made me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 October 14 12:26 BST (UK) »
In the British Library 19th C newspaper archive -The 'Sheffield and Rotherham, Independent', dated Mar 7, 1883 has a long article about the inquest, but then a shorter para re the Reverend's career. This last paragrpah states:

The body of the Rev Julius Benn was taken to London by the train leaving Matlock Bridge at 5.24pm, and will be interred in Ilford Cemetary on Thursday

Hope this helps in your search
T1908
Bone - Leeds/ Tempsford, Bedfordshire
Overment - Norfolk
Skillings - Norfolk
Woodhouse - Kingston upon Hull
Fell - East Yorks
Hulse - Repton, Derbyshire
Cooper - Chapel en le Frith

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 October 14 12:30 BST (UK) »
According to the 1881 census he had a wife and five children, his eldest son attended the inquest so it could be his body was returned to London for burial.

Stan

In the British Library 19th C newspaper archive -The 'Sheffield and Rotherham, Independent', dated Mar 7, 1883 has a long article about the inquest, but then a shorter para re the Reverend's career. This last paragrpah states:

The body of the Rev Julius Benn was taken to London by the train leaving Matlock Bridge at 5.24pm, and will be interred in Ilford Cemetary on Thursday

Just as I assumed  :)

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Moosie100

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 October 14 19:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information  and taking the time to help out. Spoke to the cemetery and they confirm he is in IIford so a mystery now solved.
Thank you