Author Topic: Yvan "John" Lesenko - Ukraine to Canada  (Read 891 times)

Offline stlowrey1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Yvan "John" Lesenko - Ukraine to Canada
« on: Sunday 17 August 14 20:21 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I could really use some assistance tracking down any immigration and travel records for
Yvan "John" Lesenko. He was born in the Ukraine (Russia) 1918 and emigrated to Newfoundland Canada app.1951.
 He is listed on the Canadian voters list living in Longueuil, Québec in 1963 as "Yvan Leasenko" and again in 1965 as   "Yvan Lessenko". Lots of spelling variation happening here.
 I will continue searching.

Thank you for your time.

SL
Lowry/Lowrey surnames Newtownards & Whitehaven
Arnold surname Newtownards & Whitehaven

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
Re: Yvan "John" Lesenko - Ukraine to Canada
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 16:51 BST (UK) »
Good morning stlowrey,

Unfortunately the Canadian passenger lists available right now are only up to 1935. You say he migrated in the 1950s, but did he make trips to Canada before then? To make things more complicated, Newfoundland was formerly a colony and dominion of the United Kingdom and became the tenth province to enter the Canadian Confederation on March 31, 1949, as Newfoundland. You may want to contact their provincial archives at: http://www.therooms.ca/archives/ or http://www.therooms.ca/archives/family_history_collections.asp.

You may want to contact the Archives in Quebec as well - both Quebec City and Montreal are major immigrant ports of entry into Canada.

I hope this helps you.

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline stlowrey1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Yvan "John" Lesenko - Ukraine to Canada
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 August 14 05:43 BST (UK) »
Hello JDC,

Thank you for your kind reply. I really appreciate the information you have provided to me.
 I will take your advice and contact the archive departments that you have recommended to me.
This search was a bit harder than I though it would be, but I will pursue this further.

Regards,

SL
:)
Lowry/Lowrey surnames Newtownards & Whitehaven
Arnold surname Newtownards & Whitehaven