Author Topic: Frank McCaffry  (Read 6556 times)

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Frank McCaffry
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 21 August 14 00:58 BST (UK) »
Have you been able to get his marriage certificate or access to the registration. In some cases, parents are listed. Also, is he catholic. That can sometimes help to narrow down the search in Canada. I did try the 1871 census at Library and Archives Canada and most surname McCaffry/McCaffrey come up as living in Quebec and Ontario. Also, many Irish would use a naming pattern for their children, naming the children after parents/brothers/sisters. You may want to look at that angle as well to see if any particular names have been passed down through generations.

I will continue to look at names such as Francis/Francois to see if I can find something.

Val

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 21 August 14 01:23 BST (UK) »
www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/pages/census.aspx

Hopefully, this will take you to the Library and Archives Canada, census site.

1871, Quebec/West Huntingdon/Dundee
McCaffrey, Edward, 56 b. Ireland, farmer, catholic
wife, Margaret, 46, b. Quebec
Isabella, 22
Eliza Ann, 20
Edward, 18
James, 9
Margaret, 5
Francis, 3
Agnuss, 1
all children born in Quebec
This is the only Frank/Francis/Francois that I could find age 3. this may or may not be your Frank. You will need to research further. Look for border crossings, marriage and death certificate/registrations, etc.

1881 census
still in Quebec
Under Frank, age 13

can't find Frank so far in any province in the 1891 census using McCaffry/McCaffrey or alternates.

in 1891, father Edward, wife Marg and daughter Maggie still in Huntingdon, Dundee.

If you can access the marriage registration for Frank, it may list his parents and these could match up. Hopefully, this will help in some way.

Offline Rainne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 21 August 14 22:18 BST (UK) »
val ty im not sure since I don't know franks parents names. I did find some census on hugh mccaffry prob around may 19, 1890. his wifes name is kate and theyre both from Ireland or can you tell me where to look
walker
robb
jay
whyntie

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 22 August 14 15:28 BST (UK) »
Have you tried to get Frank's marriage registration in South Dakota. That may be the only way to find his parents names.

You mention Hugh and Kate McCaffry and census info but don't state which country USA or Canada or where you found it or what the connection to Frank could be. Could you clear that up and maybe give more info if you have it.

Canadian census info is available at the site I gave in my second post.
Val

Offline Rainne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 22 August 14 20:49 BST (UK) »
val I found this from a relative who has since died.  Elizabeth sarah jay birthdate august 1877 brighton twp Cass Iowa . married frank mccaffry 1895 pennington county SD.i have her parents as james henry jay born 1841 perry co ohio her mother was susan anna berry 1854 butler co ohio. can you tell me where to look for this info.   ty for your help
walker
robb
jay
whyntie

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 24 August 14 02:27 BST (UK) »
The Frank McCaffrey that I found in Quebec is not yours. He shows up again on the 1901 Census of Canada in Quebec, single with his mother Margaret and sister.

I am a bit confused about where you find info and then ask where you can look. If you found Hugh and Kate McCaffrey around May 1890, where did you find it. In Canada or in the USA. What do you think the connection is to your Frank.

I don't do a lot of research in the USA but here are some suggestions.
Look for the Vital Stats department for the state you wish to find info in. For South Dakota it appears that registration of bmd's didn't start until 1905. You can also contact local libraries to see what they hold in their genealogy sections. Libraries tend to have access to old newspapers, family histories etc that may not be available on line. Catholic bmd's tend to be registered in the local church so you can pursue that avenue as well. You will need to work back and forth from the dates that you have to trace your ancestors. Certificates don't tend to have as much information as the actual registration documents. If you can access Frank's death registration, it may have his parents listed. It will depend on who the informant was and if the information was known or required on the form.

I would look for Frank in all available census in South Dakota and Oregon, then look for other McCaffrey's in the same area to see if you can find his parents. If he immigrated as a child, you should be able to find other McCaffrey's with him on the census somewhere.

Canadian census years are 1861/1871/1881/1891/1901/1911/1921
From what I have seen the census in the USA would be the year before such as 1890/1900/1910. If available, I would search the 1890 census under all alternate surnames in the area where he married and see what comes up.

Also Family Search.Org and Ancestry are good sites to search for info.

Offline Rainne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 24 August 14 06:18 BST (UK) »
the info I got is from a relative who died 10 yrs ago and it didn't say anything
walker
robb
jay
whyntie

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 09 September 14 14:36 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, the 1890 US census was almost entirely destroyed by fire. 

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 04:05 GMT (UK) »
There are some age descrepancies and place of birth for parents... ( 1905 he says father is born Canada)
Frank has his birth as early as 1863 which covers several of Franks and Francis...Here are the results for 1881 (Ontario & Quebec)You could follow the ones in this age group through the censuses as valerie had done for you. (She went to the trouble of eliminating one for you)
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01eo2/

There is a census entry 1905 for Fort Meade... a Margaret Mary who'd been in the U.S.  7 years... but I haven't traced her origins either...
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11117-115073-50?cc=1477737
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com