Author Topic: Bletsoe family marriages please  (Read 7820 times)

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Bletsoe family marriages please
« on: Tuesday 24 April 07 13:45 BST (UK) »
Please could some kind person tell me anything about the marriages of these brothers and sister?

John Bletsoe - IGI has a member submitted entry for John Bletsoe and Elizabeth Ward at Ellington 1776.

Timothy Bletsoe - IGI has an extracted record for a marriage to Elizabeth Marsh at Godmanchester 1792, but is he otp or not, and single or widowed?

Charles Bletsoe- married a Jane who was born in Huntingdonshire c1777 (and thoughtlessly died before 1851!). Charles' first known child was born at Easton in 1808.

Kezia Bletsoe born c1763 married John Peacock - died at Potton in Bedfordshire.

All help much appreciated, as always.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bletsoe family marriages please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 April 07 14:30 BST (UK) »
Hunts Marriage Index has the following Bletsoe marriages

1776 at Ellington John and Elizabeth Ward
1792 at Godmanchester Timothy & Ellizabeth Marsh (23 Jan 1792 on BVRI)
1806 at Easton Charles & Jane Plunkett

As no other parish is mentioned then all would have been otp, and similarly with widow/widower, so all were assumed to be bach/spinster

Kezia's marriage is on the IGI (extracted so reliable) on 7 Nov 1784 at Potton

Regards

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 April 07 15:03 BST (UK) »
Many thanks David, your assistance is most welcome. 

Charles and Jane had a Francis Blunkit /Plunkit (he seems to have been unsure)  Bletsoe so that must be the right one.

Wish I could find their parents - I know they are siblings because their brother Thomas names them all in his will, but Charles and Timothy, at least were born in Rushden, Northants, and I don't know how to access info for that place.

Kind regards, Gallium

Offline TedDee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 17:57 BST (UK) »
Re Bletso/e
Charles married Jane Plunket 1806 Easton Huntington, Charles parents are John Bletsoe and Mary Darling.
Children Hannah born 1809,John 1814,Francis Blunkit 1818,Timothy 1822.
Hannah married Richard Browning 1830 Easton,
John Married Phoebe Johnson 1844 Huntingdon
Francis married Susannah Ferrman 12 Jan 1841
Wren,Thomas,Lock,Burns,Hoy,Lambert,Troughton,Gomm,Munns,Collard,

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 18:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that TD.

I have seen trees on Ancestry which give John Bletsoe and Mary Darling as the parents of Charles and Timothy, and I agree that  this couple look likely - but  the trees don't give any evidence for this, and the Rushden baptism records online don't include baptisms of Charles and Timothy.  Do you perhaps know of a record which proves that John and Mary are the parents?

Offline TedDee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 19:11 BST (UK) »
Hi
This family name is one of my own so details of marriage found on Find my past and posted by the Northampton Family History Society. Also details confirmed by a Denise Branks from Curious Fox.
John and Mary Darling has a son William whom married Hannah Hurle they in turn had a son Henry whom as best we could transcribe as Darnell but given the poor writing could have been Darling or the clerks spelling at the time! All the children of John and MAry were found on Northampton parish registers.
I am at present working on John parents Thomas Bletsoe and Mary? Thomas i can find is 1692 in Harold which seems to fit but i have not located the actual record,but at present i cannot locate the marriage to support the LDS information. Sorry i should have said Henry;s middle name is Darnell
teddee

Added to this i have just checked out the source for the dates of births these were obtained from
another family member whose family descend from Charles Sister Kezia. Also there us a Will which is from the brother Thomas where upon his death made Charles executor of his will where he names the whole family. This was a huge help in tracking this whole family.
Kezia married John Peacock in 7 Nov 1784 Potton Bedfordshire
Wren,Thomas,Lock,Burns,Hoy,Lambert,Troughton,Gomm,Munns,Collard,

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 10:54 BST (UK) »
Yes, I can see that John Bletsoe married Mary Darling at Rushden, and that they baptised five children there: John, Martha, Ann, Thomas and William. After William in 1759, there are no more Rushden baptisms for children of John and Mary, although it seems that they lived until 1771 (John) and 1781 (Mary).

Charles and Timothy, who were born c1770 and c1771 respectively, both name Rushden as their birthplace, but seem not to have been baptised there.  These two are definitely brothers, as Timothy names Charles as such in his will.

Thomas Bletsoe of Easton names siblings Charles, John, William,Susannah, Kezia and Timothy in his will of 1806, but there are no addresses given, and as there appear to be a number of Bletsoe families spread across the Hunts/Northants/Beds borders around the late 18th and early 19th centuries, I don't feel that I can be certain that Thomas of Easton and his siblings are definitely the children of John and Mary (although I would like them to be).