Author Topic: Are any of these family names yours ?  (Read 32903 times)

Offline LAD41

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Are any of these family names yours ?
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 22:00 BST (UK) »
Good to hear from you Avril.
I have the 1841 census which shows the family of girls, but John is mentioned in your chat with Gillig. Do you have a date of birth for him by any chance? and are there other children older than Rebecca?
Interesting that Mercy was widowed when young, as Rebecca's husband, Edward Mayes (my GT2 grandfather), also died young (about 26yrs).  Rebecca re married and went on to have another family, living in the Crew area.

LAD

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 11:22 BST (UK) »
Hi LAD41
From the Family Search site I have a date of birth for John of 9 May 1820.  This comes from the Non-Conformist records, which is useful, as the date of birth rather than that of christening is recorded. The family were Baptists, John's grandfather, also John and father of Hannah (nee Manning) being a minister in Spaldwick.  This site also gives John and his family in censuses from 1841, 1871 and 1881, so shows his children and his wife Elizabeth (nee Burton).  John seems to have been a tailor like his father Richard.  I believe he was the oldest child, followed by Rebecca.

Mercy moved from Hunts after her husband Isaac Fairey died and settled in Burnley, Lancs, where she married James Crow and had a daughter Nellie.  Annie Church (no relative as far as I have been able to find out), widow of Isaac's brother Amos, was also widowed young and moved to join her there.  Amos & Annie's son Alfred Ernest was my grandfather.

Gillg
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 20:37 BST (UK) »
If they are Baptists the one thing you will NOT find is an infant baptism.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline LAD41

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 21:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gilllg & Redroger.  Its great to see that you are still active, gillg.
Being very much a newcomer to roots I had no idea how it all works - and I'm not sure if Gillg will get an email prompt as well as Redroger, since he is the last to respond. We shall see!

Thanks for John's date of birth, I had not picked up on this at Family Search.  Having followed the previous chat I was aware of Rev Manning, in fact his was a name passed on from my grandmother to one of my sisters many years ago, but only recently passed to me.  However we had no idea of where he fitted in.  Rev Manning & his wife were both born a few miles north of where I now live so at the weekend my wife & I took a trip to Yardly Hastings & Braifiel-on-the-Green to see if there was evidence of Baptist chapels. We found none in Yardly Hastings, but in Braifield OTG we just happend to ask the right people - two members of the present congregation who then took us on a guided tour.  They had no idea of its original build date and the only date stone looked like 1880's. Shall have to follow this up.
I hope to visit Spaldwick soon - but I won't try knocking on the door!

The tailoring trade would seem to be well established in the Church family.  I don't know if Rebecca was ever designated a seamstress, but her grandson ( my grandfather) Robert Walker Mayes became a successful taylor in London.

For Mercy to move from Northampton to Burnley seems strange, unless there was a family connection.  Did her husband originate from that area?
Thanks again
LAD

Offline avrila

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 17 April 13 07:43 BST (UK) »
All contributors of a thread get notifications of topic replies (i think), one of Burnley crafts was shoes/boots, let me know if you need any info on this as I believe the Lancs libraries have access to some description of BMD info. I didn't have much luck the other day when I went across to the library as it was on a go slow and I hadn't logged in since January so had problems. If you interested in Lancs stuff I can book a 'puter while my son is at pre-school.

Avril
CHURCH, HUNTER, WEST, ARBUCKLE, SPIERS, DAVIS, SCOTT

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 17 April 13 08:18 BST (UK) »
All contributors of a thread get notifications of topic replies
Only if you tick the box in Attachments and other options
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 17 April 13 22:38 BST (UK) »
LAD
I have not been able to find out why Mercy Church/Fairey moved to Burnley or whether there were already family members there.  I think some of her sisters were living in the London area by that time, though Rhoda remained in Spaldwick.  I only know that when my widowed gt-grandmother Annie Church/Fairey joined her there in the mid-1880s all Annie's family found work there, something which maybe they would not have found easy in rural Huntingdonshire. 

Gillg

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline John Church

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 07 October 13 14:58 BST (UK) »
 :D I have just found out about this site from Avril so many thanks
My name is John Church and my grandfather was Albert Basset Church, son of John Church and Elizabeth Burton. John was a tailor and Albert was shown as a tailor in one census. I think about1881 however he left Easton with a cousin and went to Oxford where he learnt hairdressing and wigmaking which was to become his trade for life with a short period when he was a publican. He was quite a colourful character and as my research has discovered not a particularly nice man I'm really sad to say. Albert died in 1936 the day after the king so I never got to meet him or my Grandmother Emmiline Edith Mary nee Grimson. I have been to Easton briefly and found a grave marked as Elizabeth Burton but if she was the same Elizabeth I'm sure the grave would be marked Elizabeth Church wife of John Church