Author Topic: Brown Family in Service in Rathmoyle, Abbeyleix, Queen's County.  (Read 4608 times)

Offline KennyBrown.NI

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Brown Family in Service in Rathmoyle, Abbeyleix, Queen's County.
« on: Sunday 17 March 13 23:52 GMT (UK) »
My family were in Service in Queens County.

My Great Grandfather's brother (James Brown) was listed as General Domestic Servant for the Swan family in 1901 who were residents of a house 11 in Rathmoyle (Abbeyleix, Queen's Co.)

In the 1901 Census the rest of the family including my Great Grandfather (John Brown) were listed as living in Carrickfergus in County Antrim. It is noted however that his sister (Susan Brown) was listed as being born in Queen's county. Her age in 1901 is given as 5 years old.

By the time of the 1911 Census my Great Grandfather's brother (James Brown) has rejoined the family in Carrickfergus.

I would love to know if the whole family lived in Queens county before returning North. As the family were in domestic service they seem to have moved about quite a lot. Finding Susan's birth record my help to answer some questions.

Is anyone able to help?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Brown Family in Service in Rathmoyle, Abbeyleix, Queen's County.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 March 13 10:21 GMT (UK) »
this birth on the BMD Index appears to be the best match for Susan's birth :

Name: Susan Brown
  Event type: Birth
  Qtr/Year : Oct - Dec 1895   
  Registration District : Abbeyleix
  Volume 3 / Page : 252

see : https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FBFF-RNY

might be worth ordering a cert to check place of residence, father's occupation etc

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline KennyBrown.NI

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 March 13 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shane. Ill have to get onto to that.

Offline KennyBrown.NI

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 March 13 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Okay... So i got the details of Susan Brown's birth records which matches my family.

Name: Susan Brown
Date of Birth: 20-Oct-1895
Address: Ballymullen
Parish/District: Abbeyleix
County: Co. Laois
Mother: Mary Ann Dunblin? (Should be Duncan)
Father: George Brown
Father's Occupation: Gardener
Father's Address: Ballymullen

Does anyone have any information about Ballymullen? From Google maps it looks to be a very small place. Who did he work as a gardener for?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 March 13 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Ballymullen is one of the larger townlands, at just over 1,000 acres. It's located a short distance south of Abbeyleix town.

Based on Griffith's Valuation, the immediate lessor for most of the townland was Viscount De Vesci, who was probably the ultimate owner  also, as he is listed as occupier 'in fee' for one of the properties.

The largest property in the townland is listed to a Michael Campion. He's listed with over  250 acres of land, a house and offices (e.g. workshops, stables, farm buildings etc), seems to fit with the location of Ballymullen house and estate. Possibly where your George worked..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests