Author Topic: Carolan family  (Read 22996 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Carolan family
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 25 May 13 14:38 BST (UK) »
.....if they descend from the family from Meath, Ireland. Both of my grandparents had Carolan relatives from that specific area of Northern Ireland

Co. Meath is not part of Northern Ireland, it's in the east in the province of Leinster next to Dublin, and has a small coastline with the Irish Sea.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline margym317

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 25 May 13 15:27 BST (UK) »
I doubt my Carlin family came from Meath just because the obits I have read all say County Mayo.  One family researcher made a small reference to Cavan but I don't find them there either.  My next step is to consider Ancestry International but since I have found so many errors in their transcriptions it may take a while to invest.
margym317

Offline McMahon-Lynch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 25 May 13 23:23 BST (UK) »
I was researching via Goolge today and found a link to a Cullen family, also related to the Carolans, who landed in Canada. It might be worth checking out the site:

http://www.cullenancestry.ca/cullenchap1path.php

MacMahon/McMahon, Lynch, Reilly, Carolan, and Dolan families of Carrigagh, Moynalty, Meath, Ireland; Lynch family of Corragloon, Mullagh/Virginia, Cavan; Mulvany, Fitzsimons and Lynch of Edenburt and Whitegate, Kells, Meath.

Offline McMahon-Lynch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 25 May 13 23:26 BST (UK) »
I realize that Meath is in Northern Ireland, I should have clarified that these families ended up in Meath after being dispossessed of their land in N. Ireland. Most had come from NI and moved out from there, settling in and around Dublin. Was getting ahead of myself while typing.

.....if they descend from the family from Meath, Ireland. Both of my grandparents had Carolan relatives from that specific area of Northern Ireland

Co. Meath is not part of Northern Ireland, it's in the east in the province of Leinster next to Dublin, and has a small coastline with the Irish Sea.
MacMahon/McMahon, Lynch, Reilly, Carolan, and Dolan families of Carrigagh, Moynalty, Meath, Ireland; Lynch family of Corragloon, Mullagh/Virginia, Cavan; Mulvany, Fitzsimons and Lynch of Edenburt and Whitegate, Kells, Meath.

Offline margym317

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 26 May 13 00:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the tip on the Cullen Family.  I shall look there ASAP!
margym317

Offline jayjay282202

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 16:47 BST (UK) »
My Carolan tree is the one that is on the site. My GG granfather was John Carolan who married Mary Reilly. The family came from Kilsallagh, Keenagh, Uggool Co. Mayo in the parish of Crossmolina. My G grandfather John had many siblings and one of them Anthony emigrated with his wife Anne Munnelly to Pensylvania where the name was changed to Carlin. My G grandfather John married a Mary Walsh from Keenagh, her father was John Walsh and mother was Kate Conway. Would be happy to share information.

John Carolan

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to protect against spamming and other abuses. Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility. See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline margym317

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 17:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jayjay.  Our Carlin's were probably spelled Carolan in Ireland but there is one signature of James with CARLIN in his handwriting.  Do you suppose there could have been another cousin Anthony?  The mother of James was Margaret David (as the church record says) but her sister Sarah had the spelling of DAVITT s that centers them around Striade, possibly.  Margaret died in 1856 and her records says feu de Antoni David.  French priest, transcribing the Irish brogue so it all gets murky!

My cousin in Toronto was able to track down a land donation composed and filed by the notary but in the words of James and that is where we find the signature.  That was in 1876.  So James was preparing for his death willing the property to his son Thomas.  Now in 1833 the same property of 200 acres at Grenville was sold to a Terrance CARROLAN.  It may be possible that James had a brother or his name was James Terrance or Terrance James   Canadian records don't tell us much either  Wish the family had come to the US!

Can you tell me the dates your family arrived in the US?  I have searched the St. Lawrence Steamboat passenger lists but only find one J. Carlin arriving in 1834 which would be around the right time except that this Terrance (the first) had bought the farm by then. 

'Tis a puzzle!
margym317

Offline jayjay282202

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 19:41 BST (UK) »
My Ggrandfather's brother Andrew and his sister Sally were the only ones to emigrate and they went to Pensylvania. Try Carrolin or Carolin on the 1901 Census and see what comes up, someone gave me that tip and I was able to locate some more of my family.

Offline margym317

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 21:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the tip.  Now I have 14 different possibilities for CARLIN!
margym317