Author Topic: Hugh Mathieson/ Ann Connor.. Meath to Scotland. I'm Stuck!  (Read 6989 times)

Offline Bernadette105

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hugh Mathieson/ Ann Connor.. Meath to Scotland. I'm Stuck!
« on: Friday 02 May 14 03:18 BST (UK) »
This is such an important side of the family and I am stuck. My Great Grandmother Catherine Matheson...(although have seen Matthews) was born in Scotland...and immigrated NYC. She married Michael Francis Clancy in late 1880's ...and together they had 5 daughters.. Michael and Catherine both died about 1900..leaving the girls orphaned including my grandmother Helen Loretta Clancy who was about 2 when Michael died..and not much older when Catherine died. Hoping to find the town/city in meath the family came from

Catherine Matheson
Birth Date:   7 Dec 1865
Birth Place:   Borthwick,Midlothian,Scotland
Father:    Hugh Matheson
Mother:    Ann Connor
FHL Film Number:   6035516

parents and two children Mary and James were born in Meath Ireland. Immigrated to Scotland around 1862 as third child Patrick was born in Scotland 1863

Any suggestions to get back to Meath would really help... Thank you so much...
Bernadette

O'Brien, Clancy, Segrave, Sinnott,Synnott, Brown, Connor, Matthews (Mathieson), Devine, Harney, Bartley, Hogan, Watterson,

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Mathieson/ Ann Connor.. Meath to Scotland. I'm Stuck!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 May 14 04:53 BST (UK) »
A search of the marriage record index on the RootsIreland website shows a church marriage record for a Hugh Matthews to Anne Connor in County Meath in 1859, the parish / district is given as Drumconrath RC.

For those parents' names, a search of the baptismal/birth record index on the same website brings back a baptism for a James Mathews in County Meath in 1860, again the parish / district is given as Drumconrath RC.

The record content is pay to view.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 May 14 05:06 BST (UK) »

Drumconrath is a.k.a. Drumcondra. 

Griffiths Valuation has a Hugh Matthews living in the townland of Greenan in the civil parish (note: civil parish, not RC parish) of Drumcondra, the print date is 1854, he may be related, worth noting for the moment.

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=nameSearch

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 May 14 06:39 BST (UK) »
There is somebody at this website seeking information about "Hugh Matthews married to Anne Connor 1/3/1859 in Drumconrath, Meath", although the contact details are old, it might be worth following up:

http://bbs.mayo-ireland.ie/WebX?14@8.2SQQpB7LoSQ.0@.ee78bd2/77

Offline Bernadette105

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 May 14 19:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Gaffy. I found the posting and sent an email. Who knows if the email even still works.. and I will certainly continue the search with info you found.  The marriage date would defintely coincide with the birth of their 1st child Mary.  The family moved from Meath to Scotland in about 1863 because several children of the children were born in Midlothian Scotland. I found them there on the 1871 census.

Bernadette
O'Brien, Clancy, Segrave, Sinnott,Synnott, Brown, Connor, Matthews (Mathieson), Devine, Harney, Bartley, Hogan, Watterson,

Offline Bernadette105

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 May 14 00:10 BST (UK) »
I had a chance to look further and there is a James Matthews  in our family that the scottish census  1871 says he was born abt 1861. That would match the Roots Ireland entry that you saw. I believe you helped me locate my family. I can't thank you enough.  I have spent many hours searching and it is such a good feeling to have this information.

Bernadette