Author Topic: Frederick Syer Kings Lynn Workhouse 1901?  (Read 7223 times)

Offline Milliemollie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frederick Syer Kings Lynn Workhouse 1901?
« on: Friday 30 November 12 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi, My great grandfather Frederick George Syer was born in 1892 in Kings Lynn Norfolk. His father was William Syer born and mother Phoebe Duffy. He also had 2 brothers William Thomas Syer born 1885 and Arthur Burden Syer born 1890, as well as 4 sisters 1 died young.

In 1900 there father died of circumstance i don't know (I am going to order his death certificate). The 1901 census shows there mother a widow with only the girls residing with her. The oldest son William Thomas i think may have been sent to bedford reformatory school. The other 2 boys show as Fredk Syer age 10(who i believe is my great grandad) and his brother Arthur Syer age 11 in an institution on extons road, which i think may have been the workhouse as it states pauper on the census.

I know my great grandfather Frederick Syer came to Grimsby by the time they took the 1911 census and married my great grandmother. William shows up in prison in Cambridgeshire but i cannot find Arthur anywhere nor can i find a death or marriage certificate.

I'm new to researching my I was wondering if there are records kept on people at the workhouse anywhere? and also if William Syer was sent to bedford reformatory and then to Cambridge would there be records kept anywhere? If anyone could give me any advice on how to search for Arthur. I am not from the Norfolk area and wouldn't know where to start looking.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou. :)
Deakins
Scott
Syer
Doore

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick Syer Kings Lynn Workhouse 1901?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 November 12 11:17 GMT (UK) »

HI and welcome to roots chat :) i see on the 1901 census fredrick and arthur are together in kingslynn* union work* house age 10 &11

census piece 1890 folio109 page 6

have you tried googling  kingslynn workhouse and see if there are any links from that

Offline Alwina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 November 12 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Kemp. Bloom. Reynolds. Saul. Norfolk
Cathie Durham.Ireland.London
Walker. London
Cutts. Rawlinson. Suffolk
Langmead. London Dorset. Cornwall

census information Crown Copyright.
from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alwina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 November 12 11:35 GMT (UK) »
There was a Fred Syer(but no information about dob etc) died at Flanders 29.9.1916. He was in the London Regiment
Walker. London

from

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 November 12 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello Milliemollie,

The Norfolk Record Office does have some Workhouse records for Kings Lynn as you'll see on the link from Alwina.

There are also some records online, and after having a quick look, I found an entry in the "Religious Creed Register" for the Kings Lynn Workhouse.

It shows brothers Arthur and Fredk Syer were admitted to the workhouse on the 24 February 1900, and it shows their mother was the "Informant".  They weren't "abandoned", as their mother gave her address.
It also shows their Religious Creed as PM.  I'm no expert, but this may mean "Primitive Methodist"

It's not much to go on, but it's a start!   This link takes you to the page in the Register, and if you click the arrow at the top, the next image shows a continuation of the same page, with mother's address, which I'm afraid I can't read.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12062-39808-19?cc=1824706&wc=MMBR-RPC:1257732020

Yorkslass
Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Smowton, Yarmouth/Norwich 1770
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire

Offline Alwina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 November 12 11:58 GMT (UK) »
William Thomas joined the 3rd Battalion Norfolk Regiment on the 4,12,1902. His previous master is given as a Mr Jones in Northamptonshire
Arthur Burden Syer born 2.11.1890 died 18.10.1971 in Vancouver. Canada he married Margaret Emmilia Bynes.
Regards
Alwina
Walker. London

from

Offline Milliemollie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 November 12 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou all so much for your help. I am going to check the links out now. I am assuming then they went in there as her husband died in 1900 too. Thannks again for all your replys. :)
Deakins
Scott
Syer
Doore

Offline Milliemollie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 November 12 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Oh and thankyou so much for the information on Arthur that has been bugging me for so long. You can tell i'm new to this  ;).
Deakins
Scott
Syer
Doore

Offline Milliemollie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 November 12 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Alwina, I have checked out the workhouse link, lots of great info on there thanks makes me really feel for what they went through.  I have also now found Arthur burden Syer death certificate in vancouver. I am now trying to find more information on who he married Margaret Emmilia Bynes. I also found William Thomas joining 3rd battalion Norfolk regiment as well with the information you gave me. I'm thinking i must be mistaken of his location in 1911.

Yorkslass, thankyou for the link. I looked at the religious creed register and it looks like the address said california so i googled that too and as far as i can see i think it may read as, 8 california yard, Norfolk street. I found a little bit of info on the internet about that.

Milliemollie

Deakins
Scott
Syer
Doore