Author Topic: Henry McCloskey - Agivey, Aghadowey  (Read 11355 times)

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry McCloskey - Agivey, Aghadowey
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 October 14 10:32 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   I wonder if the Patrick and "Mary" could be Patrick McCloskey and Marianne Gallagher who married on 3 Aug 1879 in Aghadowey Roman Catholic Church.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Purudaya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 October 14 10:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks for Patrick's wedding date to Ann Wade.  And the one mentioned by Kingskerwell is correct for the marriage to Mary Gallagher. Yes there were 2 Mary Jane's in the one extended family. One born 1876 to Patrick and Ann Wade who died in 1877 at less than a year old and one b. 1893 to Annie McCloskey who was brought up by Patrick and Mary.  Annie worked in Glasgow and married Patrick Murray in 1904 in Glasgow.
Thank for the notice from Constitution ? is that a Coleraine paper?  Patrick has not before been described as a skilled workman. Only ever as a labourer.
I also thought that Patrick came to own the land on which the cottage was situated.  I thought it happened resulting from one of the Gladstone Land Acts but clearly after 1886 because he is recorded somewhere as paying rent of 18/- pa for the 'farm'.  Did Patrick get to own the land ? or Mary ?  There is no mention of it in the will and yet I thought I had found it somewhere.
i do have proof of Henry being born but cant lay my hands on it.  I think from PRONI or GRONI whatever it is called. That is how I knew it was 20 Dec 1872 and it would have stated Patrick and Ann Wade for me to be sure.  Thanks....

Offline Purudaya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 October 14 11:21 BST (UK) »
I am mystified as to my sources for Henry McCloskey.  I cannot locate material here.  I shall keep looking. Can Henry not exist after all ?
Re Patrick's house and garden.  I have notes from reading the will at PRONI several years ago when in Ireland, where Patrick is described as a Farmer. it says 'a house and large garden at Mullaghmore bought prior to 1896 from the Ironmongers Coy under the Irish Land Acts. Poor Law valuation at 1.5.0 GBP. Valued at 20GBP when Patrick died'.
What land Act would have enabled Patrick to buy the land ?  What would he have grown on it ? 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 October 14 11:29 BST (UK) »
Have started looking through my sources for the family (not available online).

1886 Ironmongers’ Co. Tenants List- Mullamore townland
Patrick McCloskey 0.3.34 annual rent 0.18.0

Looking back to 1863 Ironmongers' Co. Notes on Tenants (original in Guildhall Library, London) I find the above property under Widow Catherine Heaney (annual rent £1.1s) ”And Widow McClosky, her daughters, and two nieces.
So, there's some connection between the McCloskeys of Mullamore and this widow Catherine Heaney.

Also, here's the marriage notice (the Constitution was also a local Coleraine paper): Coleraine Chronicle, 15 Nov.1862: At the Register Office, Coleraine, on the 3rd inst., Mr. Hugh Henry McCloskey, Agivey, to Miss Nancy Wade, Cullycapple, Aghadowey.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 13 October 14 11:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   The Griffiths Valuation Revision Books state that Patrick bought his house and garden, 3 roods and 14 perchs ie nearly one acre, in 1891.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Purudaya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 13 October 14 11:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that information re the land.  I dont know what the connection between Catherine Heaney and Widow McCloskey is.  And I have not been able to locate other siblings for Patrick apart from Hugh Henry whom you located marrying Nancy Wade. 
Patrick's parents I believe to be Hugh and Mary McLaughlin. I have not been able to find reliable birth and death details for either. I think Hugh was born in 1806 a deduction I think from 1831 Census. I have 1863 down as the year of his death but that is also a deduction.
Ann Wade's death was reported by a Margaret McCloskey, but I tried to find a Margaret as daughter of Hugh and Mary but could not.   :-\

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 13 October 14 12:02 BST (UK) »
From the Valuation Revision Books (see PRONI's website to view the scanned images)- MULLAMORE (under Aghadowey Parish):

1862-1864: 14. Catherine Heney, ho & land
1865-1880:  14. Catherine Heney
1881-1891: 14. Catherine Heney changed to Patk McCloskey 1886
1891-1899: 14. Patk McCloskey in fee 1891
1900-1910: 14. Patk McCloskey, (crossed out in red) Robert Hanna 1901, then changed to Patrick McCloskey 1904, then Mary McCloskey 1909
1911-1929: 14. Mary McCloskey, changed to Rachel Hegarty 1926

Will post more later

Offline Purudaya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 13 October 14 12:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey.... if I have made a mistake re Henry... and I am still very surprised re this but perhaps it is so.....I am left with x3 photos which contain a young man whose name we don't know. 
Before I only had one question re the photos - were they taken at the House in the garden that Patrick and Mary lived in - in one of them...is that Agivey House over the river (if my memory is right) in the background. They were in Mary Arnold's collection and entitled Afternoon Tea at Home. Her family said that when Mary referred to 'home' she always was referring to Ireland.  I was wondering if there was any way I could have the backgrounds checked.  Patrick and Mary lived  near the Blairs I think... certainly Sarah Blair was their  great friend and when I visited I thought someone pointed to the Blair's house nearby. 

But now there are 2 questions ......who is the young man ? 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 13 October 14 12:48 BST (UK) »
Can you scan the photos from 'home' to see if I, or someone else, can recognise the house or locality.

Added- this could be the Blairs you mentioned- in which case there's still a family member about:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Agivey/Mullaghmore/652192

Will re-check existing headstones in Agivey graveyard to see if I can find McCloskeys or Catherine Heney.

Going back to something you posted at the start- "His sisters that I have found - Elizabeth (b.c.1873) Annie (b.1874), Mary Jane (b.1876-1877) and stepsister Margaret (b.1881) attended Culcrow School .  I think I knew of his existence when I checked the schools records but did not find any details for Henry attending this school at the PRONI sources."
Culcrow (Milltown School) is farther than I would have expected to find them. Did you know that boys & girls are listed in separate registers? I would have thought the McCloskey children would have attended Droghed School (demolished when the aerodrome was built during WWII or possibly the girls at Cullycapple School (a female school before c1890 which then became a mixed school).