Author Topic: Migration Workers 1860's from Norfolk to Yorkshire HALL & HOWMAN  (Read 35092 times)

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Migration Workers 1860's from Norfolk t o Yorkshire HALL & HOWMAN
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 30 August 09 10:43 BST (UK) »
Me again
1911 census for Emily Smith born Hull 1872 +/- 2 years. All these born Hull around this time.

Schedule type Last names First names Sex Birth year Age in 1911 District / other County / other Transcript Original page
HOUSEHOLD SMITH EMILY F 1871 40 Horncastle Lincolnshire   
HOUSEHOLD SMITH EMILY F 1871 40 Sculcoates Yorkshire East Riding (with York)   
HOUSEHOLD SMITH EMILY F 1873 38 Sculcoates Yorkshire East Riding (with York)   
HOUSEHOLD SMITH FLORENCE EMILY F 1872 39 Hull Yorkshire East Riding (with York)   
HOUSEHOLD SMITH FLORENCE EMILY F 1874 37 Darlington Durham   
HOUSEHOLD SMITH GERTRUDE EMILY F 1870 41 Sculcoates Yorkshire East Riding (with York)
HALL     REEPHAM, HACKFORD, GUESTWICK, NFK
HALL     YORK, HOLME ON SPALDING MOOR, E. YKS
HALL     BELBY, Nr HOWDEN, E. YKS
HOUFE   YORK, RICCALL, THIRSK, DURHAM, LANCASHIRE
FEATHERSTONE     KNEDLINGTON, GILBERDYKE, E. YKS
CLAYTON   PATRINGTON, KEYINGHAM, STADDLETHORPE, E. YKS
CAWOOD   RAWCLIFFE, STADDLETHORPE
WALKER     HADDELSEY, EASTRINGTON, SHIPTONTHORPE, E. YKS
BEAN         STILLINGFLEET, ULLESKELF, KIRKBY WHARFE, YKS
TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 30 August 09 11:34 BST (UK) »
 Hi, Both!

Going now! but someone is going to have a lucky find** with this thread! if their family tree latches on to it!

Great research!

Good luck!

Good hunting

Dobby
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Ombler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 17 September 09 20:48 BST (UK) »
All families have there ups and downs. Robert & Caroline Howman's stay in Hull was obviously a down, for this was once a wealthy family, particularly in the Elizabethan era when John Howman possessed land spread over 10 manors in the area of Briston in Norfolk. A decline in the family's fortunes began in the 17th century when John Howman had to divide his lands between the sons of two marriages and among some of his grandchildren. Robert Ainger Howman's grandfather was Peter Howman who was born in Heydon but moved to Great Ryburgh where he married Lydia Ainger. I am a descendant of Peter's daughter Rachel.
I was aware that Robert and Caroline had two sons born in Hull, but only have the 1881 census information.  Do you have the actual dates?

Ombler
Cremer,English,Howman,Langley,Doy,Nelson,Meck,Bailey,Winter (all Norfolk);Evill,Whitaker,Ledyard (Somerset/Wiltshire);West(Gloucestershire);Fenn (Buckinghamshire);Martin,Birkett,Haines (South London);Whiting,Ombler,Harper,Jordan,Harland (East Yorkshire);Bowlby,Haw,Farmery (N Yorkshire);Hayes,Garner,Allen,Gibbons,Dod,Warburton,Royle (Cheshire)

Offline rheme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 17 September 09 22:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Ombler

Have had to leave this thread for a bit - came back from holiday and my uncle had been to see a great aunt of mine and acquired a whole pile of old photographs, birth, marriage and death certificates as well as funeral bills, etc. all to do with another line of the family that ends up linking with the Howmans later on.  Have been scanning all these in and updating the tree as my great aunt is keen to know her roots.  Fortunately she also has a sister who is still alive and has even more information, however, is on holiday at the moment so when she returns my uncle will be visiting her also.   ;D

The info on the two sons of Robert and Caroline is as follows:-

George Howman born 1875 in Sculcoates, Hull.
George married Louisa Brook born 1877.

Joseph Howman born 1877 in Sculcoates, Hull.
He died around 1922.
Joseph married Arabella Buttery b. 1877 from Rillington, Nr. Malton, Yorkshire.
Arabella died around 1960.
Joseph and Arabella married in 1905 (probably St. Marks Church, Hull).

Joseph and Arabella are my great grandparents.

When growing up George and Joseph lived at 17 Howards Row, Chapman Street, Hull.

If you need any more info just drop me a line and if I can help I will.

Offline Ombler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 18 September 09 23:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks. If you want the family any further back I have the direct line back to 1500, possibilities further back, but don't want to spoil the fun  of the hunt!

Ombler
Cremer,English,Howman,Langley,Doy,Nelson,Meck,Bailey,Winter (all Norfolk);Evill,Whitaker,Ledyard (Somerset/Wiltshire);West(Gloucestershire);Fenn (Buckinghamshire);Martin,Birkett,Haines (South London);Whiting,Ombler,Harper,Jordan,Harland (East Yorkshire);Bowlby,Haw,Farmery (N Yorkshire);Hayes,Garner,Allen,Gibbons,Dod,Warburton,Royle (Cheshire)

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 20 September 09 12:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Rheme and Ombler
Well I said some time back this thread would grow and grow. So fascinating how folk moved around and all the other bits of info as well makes the folk "come alive". Keep this thread growing you two.  ;D
Bendywendy
HALL     REEPHAM, HACKFORD, GUESTWICK, NFK
HALL     YORK, HOLME ON SPALDING MOOR, E. YKS
HALL     BELBY, Nr HOWDEN, E. YKS
HOUFE   YORK, RICCALL, THIRSK, DURHAM, LANCASHIRE
FEATHERSTONE     KNEDLINGTON, GILBERDYKE, E. YKS
CLAYTON   PATRINGTON, KEYINGHAM, STADDLETHORPE, E. YKS
CAWOOD   RAWCLIFFE, STADDLETHORPE
WALKER     HADDELSEY, EASTRINGTON, SHIPTONTHORPE, E. YKS
BEAN         STILLINGFLEET, ULLESKELF, KIRKBY WHARFE, YKS
TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline crete

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Migration Workers 1860's from Norfolk to Yorkshire HALL & HOWMAN
« Reply #33 on: Friday 13 November 09 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi There

I am a decendant of George Ainger Howman of Hull he was my grandfather, my mother and family still live in Hull, he was born George Ainger Howman 1908 and died 1942 of what I believe my mother said was TB, he married my grandmother, Mary Ann Veronica Armstrong in October 1929 they were both married from the same address, which at the time was 42 Sherburn Street Holderness Road this would have been  unusual in them days and times. Any way they had four children Barbra Terry John and Carol. My grandmother always said my Uncle John was a twin, but died when she was 2 years old, this cannot be confirmed. Will hopefully fined something on this in the near future. My Grandfather had a brother I think called John and my grandmother had two sisters Elizabeth and Francis, don;t remember Elizabeth but remembered Francis when she came to visit from Australia, she was one of those who went over in the 50's and 60's she loved it never came back.  My grandparents birthdays are George Ainger Howman 1908-1942 and Mary Ann Veronica Howman 1908-1982. Hope to be in touch soon with more information, I shall be visiting my family in January so will see what I can dig up then.  Regards Crete

Offline crete

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 13 November 09 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi there again forgot to mention there was  another daughter her name was Honor, and if you look back through all the information so far the names do repeat over the years, I myself in my family have members called Lydia, Francis and of course Honor, one of my sisters middle name is Mary. I have a cousin who called her son Russell Ainger. Regards.

Offline rheme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Your George A. Howman (1908) is a descendant of George J. Howman (1875) born in Hull and who married Louisa Brook (1877).

I have George A. Howman (your grandad) as having three sisters Louisa, Charlotte and Leah.

George J. Howman (1875) - your great grandad - was brother to Joseph Howman (1877) (my great grandad).  Both were born in Hull, however, their brother Robert James Howman (1866), sisters Charlotte Mary Ann Howman (1870) and Leah Howman (1872) along with their parents Robert Ainger Howman (1836) and Caroline Tungate (1841) are all from the Great Ryburgh area of Norfolk along with all their ancestors.

Regards
Rheme