Author Topic: Looking for Barrett Relatives in the New York/CONN/MASS areas  (Read 5301 times)

Offline Bikerchick64

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Barrett Relatives in the New York/CONN/MASS areas
« on: Sunday 17 June 12 01:01 BST (UK) »
Hello, I am looking for relatives to my father's aunts.  My father was born in New York City to John and Catherine Barrett, 10 Feb 1914.  His parents had recently immigrated to the US from County Tipperary, Ireland.  The various brothers and sisters to each immigrated as well, but at different times from 1890 to 1912, if I recall correctly. 

Looking for McNamara (Mary Hyland married Thomas McNamara) and offspring
Looking for Quinn (Bridget Barrett married John Quinn) and offspring
Looking for the name to Mary Barrett's husband, as I cannot find it - might be Muller or Miller?
Looking for Thomas Hyland, who worked at the Shipyards in Brooklyn
Looking for James Hyland and John Hyland as well. 

If you are a relative, you can tell me the birth dates/years to my father's siblings, named Catherine, Michael and Eileen.  You of course know who is still living as well.

Thank you,

-Robin Hastings
Ostrowski, Sokol, Worochta, Lukowicz, Ternopil, Zverbki Skalat, Ukraine, Poland, Galacia, Carpathian Mountains, River Bug, Barrett, County Tipperary, Scully, Hyland, Cotter, McNamara, Quinn, Clonmel, Cahir, Knockskaugh, Knocknaboha, Catholic

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Barrett Relatives in the New York/CONN/MASS areas
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 June 12 09:28 BST (UK) »
HI Robin,

Welcome to Rootschat

Perhaps if you could give the names and birth dates of your fathers Aunts it might help in the search. There was a John Francis Barrett born 10 Feb 1914 in New York who died in Sacramento. California 31 st March 1986 (Mothers Maiden Name given as Highland)

Have you checked the Ellis Island site to see if there are any relatives on passenger lists ?  Just need to sign up and the site is free.

http://www.ellisisland.org/default.asp?SID=2188&gclid=CJjLxpzs1LACFUIOfAod0k3U1A

Another good source www.familysearch.org have a good selection of census and other records available where you might strike lucky.

https://familysearch.org/

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 June 12 10:13 BST (UK) »
Ok, think I hit the right one. Can see the find the grave entries for John and Catherine, so born 1879 and 1878 and daughter Eileen. (John and Lillian also have entries)

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0not/

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0nou/

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0nov/

Plenty of passenger lists for Hyland so birth years would be handy ?

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Bikerchick64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 June 12 23:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Sandra,
I didn't include the birth dates/years as I saw another post about the moderator deleting that information for fear of identity theft.

John Barrett and Catherine Hyland married in 1908 and I am good to go with most of my father's siblings.  Once all of the 1940 Census gets transcribed, I can find my father's brother, my Uncle Michael.  But it is one of my grandfather's siblings that I cannot seem to find.  Her name is Mary Barrett (no middle name known) born 31 Aug 1872, County Tipperary (Clonmel I guess would be the closest town).  I am not sure when she came over, and I want to say I recall my Dad saying she married a Muller, or possibly Miller.  I've found possibilities, but when I search in the previous Census, she is not there.  No idea when she got married, either, or if she procreated. 

I would like to find the cousins to my father as well, which would be my second cousins:
     Bridget Barrett born 01 Jan 1871 married John Quinn in 1900-1901.  Her first marriage, I understand, and his second.  (Rumour has it the first wife left him and went back to the West Coast, and the first son left ASAP to be with the natural mother, but like I said, it is a rumor).  Children are John P Quinn (1904-?)  Mary (1913 - ?) and Edward W (1918 - ?).  These three are her children.  Her two step-children are Elizabeth Quinn (1893 - ?) and Edward T (1895-?).  Edward T Quinn married an Elizabeth and they had a son named (*) (1926).  I do not know if his older sister Elizabeth married.  John P Quinn married a Teresa (in Albany, NY) and had two children (*) (1938?) and (*)(1939?) in Albany.  Quinns are pretty much Schenectady and Albany until about 1940, when I believe BRidget and John moved back to NYC to be closer to her family.  Unsure if elder Quinn is Irish or Scottish.
     Margaret Barrett born 25 Oct 1874 and married Patrick Burke (1871 - ?).  Est. marriage year=1894 in NYC.  Children are: thomas (1897) Margaret (1899) James (1899 - are they twins?) and Helen(1902).

Then, there are the siblings to my Grandmother Catherine (Hyland) Barrett.  My Aunt Eileen said they misspelled her name at Ellis island, but unsure if it was the first or last, or both! 
   Mary Hyland (22 May 1867 - ?) married a Thomas McNamara (31 Oct 1876 -good going Auntie on the younger man!!).  Unsure if he is a tailor or a policeman.  Completely no idea on the children's names.
   Thomas Hyland (5 Feb 1872 - ?) married a Margaret ? and no idea on her birth date.  No idea on number of children.  Thomas supposedly worked in the Brooklyn shipyards.
   John James Hyland (01 Jun 1874 - ?) married Margaret ? and have no idea on her birthdate.  Children appear to be James (1898 - ?) Gerald (1906 -?), Mary (1905-?) and John F (1909-?).
   John F Hyland (1879 - ?) married Kathryn (1882 - ?) and had possibly 6 children.  I have found two margarets, a mary, eileen, william, John and Catherine. 

ALL CHILDREN are born in the USA.  All SIBLINGS are born in County Tipperary.  Confident 100% that the name of the siblings in Ireland are correct as am working with another genealogist whose specialty is Ireland, and she has given me all their birth dates and baptisms. 

Not sure where Thomas McNamara is from as well as the other wives.  I presume all are from Ireland, county unknown.  Nationality of the wives to the children are probably USA. 

I have tried FamilySearch.org and even the newest version released by the Mormans (my cousin is a Morman and heathens like me cannot get access to the latest version yet!  (joke)).  I have not yet gone to the local Morman church that has a genealogist on site Wednesdays.  Have found stuff on Ellis Island and a lot of stuff for the family in Ireland on rootsireland.ie.  The Irish genealogist I am working with has given me a lot of informaton and answers for the Old Country.  I have 100% confidence in the birth dates for each sibling born in Ireland.

I would say the information on Mary Barrett and Mary Hyland is my highest priority right now. 

I have searched the family trees that are public on Ancestry.com and so far have come up empty.

Regards,

-Robin Hastings nee Barrett

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Ostrowski, Sokol, Worochta, Lukowicz, Ternopil, Zverbki Skalat, Ukraine, Poland, Galacia, Carpathian Mountains, River Bug, Barrett, County Tipperary, Scully, Hyland, Cotter, McNamara, Quinn, Clonmel, Cahir, Knockskaugh, Knocknaboha, Catholic

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 June 12 01:35 BST (UK) »
I didn't include the birth dates/years as I saw another post about the moderator deleting that information for fear of identity theft.

That's only an issue if the people are living or may still be living.  Most of the folks you mentioned couldn't be alive today.  Do you know if the people that you mentioned who were born in the 1920's or 1930's are deceased?

Offline Bikerchick64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 June 12 04:56 BST (UK) »
That is a good question and I have no idea.  For my father's side of the family the males appear to die early from lung issues and the women live longer, but die from heart disease.  But as the years progressed in the 20th Century, medicine made leaps and bounds, and the population ate better (?) and exercised more (?) so they could have lived longer, too.  But I would hazard to guess that they are all dead now. 

I have been calling some east coast cemeteries when I have a chance to see if so-and-so is buried there, but so far have come up empty.  I have a 74 year old cousin who was being helpful, but seems to ignoring my requests for any help. 

I find it rather strange that some in the family are willing to discuss history, while most want to ignore it.  I have found some ghosts in the closet... but I am not holding a grudge or judging anyone for their actions...

-R

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 June 12 09:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,

You used the expression in the posts above "Have found stuff on Ellis Island"  so presume you have found some passenger lists which match your families ?

Might have been better to do one family at a time and being a little more specific about what you know, sounds as if you may already have information which we will probably duplicate here.  ???  This one is one that you perhaps have further information on :-   John F Hyland (1879 - ?) married Kathryn (1882 - ?) and had possibly 6 children.  I have found two margarets, a mary, eileen, william, John and Catherine. 

Quite a shopping list you have - this possibility comes from Connecticut and seems to have most of the names with the dates you described but again you may already have the info - Connecticut was also part of the heading in your original post, so perhaps you already have this information ?  John James Hyland (01 Jun 1874 - ?) married Margaret ? and have no idea on her birthdate.  Children appear to be James (1898 - ?) Gerald (1906 -?), Mary (1905-?) and John F (1909-?).

Bristol, Hartford, Connecticut in 1910

James Hyland 37 Born Ire. Immigrated 1890. Labour. Sheet Work.
Margaret Hyland 32 Born Ire. Marriage 1 for 6 years. Had 3 children and 3 survive. Immigrated 1897. NA.
Mary H Hyland 5 Born Conn
Gerald J Hyland 4 Born Conn
John F Hyland 1 year and 9 months. Born Conn
Joseph Kennedy 26 Born Ire. Boarder. Immigrated 1909. AL. Labour

Bristol, Hartford, Connecticut 1930

James Hyland 60 First married at 34 years. Immigrated 1895. NA
Margaret Hyland 60 First Married at 34 years. Immigrated 1895. NA
Anna Hyland 11 Born Conn.
John Hyland 21 Born Conn. Machine Operator. Bearing Factory.

Probably son John -

John F Hyland. Born about 1908 and aged 50 years. Single (Never Married)
Death Date: 15 Dec 1958 -  Bristol, Hartford, Connecticut

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 June 12 09:48 BST (UK) »
Following through on Gerald J Hyland above - married in 1930 Hartford, Hartford, Connecticut

Gerald J Hyland 23 Born Conn. Both parents born Ire. Married at 21 years. Chauufeur. Truck.
Helen V Hyland 23 Born Irish F State. Married at 21 years. Immigrated 1923. AL>
Namesake Son Hyland 1 year and 11 months. Could still be living.
Son Hyland 0 Could still be living.

Many US City Directory Entries for Gerald - these are just a few just to illustrate some dates.

1931/34 - 182 Homestead Ave. Chauffeur

Gerald and Helen appear in Hartford, Connecticut, City Directory, 1942.

Gerald Hyland (Helen) Elev Opr.  h 23 Harrison Pi

1945/49/51/52/53  -  23 Harrison Pi -

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 June 12 10:11 BST (UK) »
Anne Hyland - Birth 28 September 1919 in Bristol Hartford, Connecticut.
and died 22 August 1962 in Waterbury, New Haven. Married Joseph Cronkhite
Birth 3 March 1916 in Ashford Maine and died 23 Jan 1992 in Bristol Hartford, Connecticut . This couple had 3 daughters.

Ann H Cronkhite. Born about 1919 and died aged 43 years. Married. Spouse Jose
Death Date: 22 Aug 1962 -  Waterbury, New Haven, Connecticut.

Burial: Saint Marys Cemetery  Terryville Litchfield County Connecticut.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0nqm/

Joseph A Cronkhite - 3 March 1916 Ashford. Maine. Widowed. Aged 75 years.
Father's Surname: Cronkhite  - Died 23 Jan 1992-  Bristol, Hartford, Connecticut
Spouse: Anne  - Occupation: Cutter Grinder.

Burial: Saint Marys Cemetery  Terryville Litchfield County Connecticut.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0nql/

Sandra