Author Topic: Seeking the original research for Clarkson Mormon pioneers  (Read 1494 times)

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Seeking the original research for Clarkson Mormon pioneers
« on: Wednesday 25 June 14 23:55 BST (UK) »
I am hoping that a family historian can help me to find the original research done by members of Thomas Clarkson's family. Thomas was born in 1800, in Hull, Yorkshire. He married Catherine (Kitty) McCoy in 1821 and they were Mormon pioneers, along with their daughters. There is very well researched information about their extended families and at some stage there has been careful research into Thomas' Yorkshire roots. I am seeking information on how the earlier research evolved, because it is obvious that some family information was used. FamilySearch genealogies have Thomas born the last child of Joseph Clarkson (1761 - 1819) and Elizabeth Paxton. Joseph was also the son of Joseph (1725 -?) (married to Elizabeth Spark). Past researchers knew enough about the family to state that Joseph(1761 - 1819) was born in Dover, and that his father was a Gunner. The family appear to have then come back to Kingston Upon Hull.

The reason I am looking for this is to untangle MY Joseph Clarkson, (1837 - 1815). They are quite different people, Joseph the father of Thomas was a Joiner, and master builder (from secondary sources, newspaper accounts of his death) and my Joseph was a Dock Man (also from secondary sources). It is possible these people were related - in fact there are a lot of Clarksons in the area. Can anyone help?

Joyce & Black in Armagh/Down; Clarkson in Hull, East Riding; Paxton in Hull, Yorkshire; Lodge in Huddersfield and Liverpool; Shaw in Caistor, Lincolnshire; Noncon and Pope in London.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking the original research for Clarkson Mormon pioneers
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 June 14 00:33 BST (UK) »
When was the original research done do you know? The Victorians were keen genealogists and liked to try to link their families back to royalty (not that this happened in this instance). Hence many inaccuracies. So finding the original research (if that is possible) may not necessarily mean it is correct. Also, family stories can get muddled as they are passed down the generations - and that must have been the case centuries ago just as it is today.

What leads you to believe that there is a single source for this family history and in fact, that it still exists? You mention 'past researchers', but could the research have been more recent? Unless the research is written up indicating relationships (eg if someone wrote "my grandmother who died in 1885") or unless the research is dated, how would you ever know who provided the information?  :-\ 

If there are trees on Ancestry & Familysearch, have you contacted the tree's owners to see if they can help you?

Presumably you have traced both Clarkson families yourself? Am I correct in thinking it is the link between the two Josephs that you are trying to find? Or are you having problems tracing the line of your Joseph Clarkson?

If you post all of the information you have about your Joseph and where you are stuck, then someone might be able to help.

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 June 14 06:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for replying, Ruskie. I don't know when the original research was done, but I think it was fairly recent - possibly 1950 onwards. There are some family history websites on ancestry including one on the Nuttall family and Thomas Clarkson and his family appear to have been high-profile members of the LDS church. It was thomas' daughter elizabeth who married William Nuttall. I have been in touch with a few people who have contributed to current trees, and they do not have any knowledge of the research done in kingston upon Hull.

Again, I do not know if there is a single source, but I have seen references to an Author called Mavis Moore Smith who wrote a couple of small books and here is what the website http://www.nuttall.us/about.html   has to say about her:
Mavis descends from William Nuttall through Leonard John Nuttall via
   Leonard John Nuttall, Jr. She has been active in genealogical research
   for more than 40 years having first travelled to England in search of
   Nuttall family genealogy in 1960. She has served in family history
   services and has actively taught genealogy classes. She works as a
   genealogical consultant at the Utah Valley Family History Library at
   Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah.

The website also says that the familysearch genealogy was researched by Mavis Moore Smith. Unfortunately, the Nuttall website does not have a contact point for her, and it concentrates on the Nuttall family.

For a while - and there are still some trees out there with a connection - I believed that my ancestors were descended from Thomas' father Joseph. Now that i have more information on my Joseph, i know they are not the same people. But I am pretty sure the families intersect at some point, just because of the place and time and naming patterns. I am interested in finding more about the original Clarkson research because i think it will help me place my Joseph, the father of samuel who is my.... 5 x? great grandfather. at present, I have samuel's baptism as a child of joseph only, nothing about his mother and no marriage that fits. Samuel lived quite close to the Joseph who is Thomas' father in Kingston upon Hull.

I am hoping that someone can point me towards that interesting research on the other clarkson family!
Joyce & Black in Armagh/Down; Clarkson in Hull, East Riding; Paxton in Hull, Yorkshire; Lodge in Huddersfield and Liverpool; Shaw in Caistor, Lincolnshire; Noncon and Pope in London.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 June 14 07:00 BST (UK) »
I wonder when that information was put on the Nuttall website. It implies that she is still alive at that stage.

It seems pretty obvious that you need to contact Mavis or perhaps one of her descendants if she is no longer living. I think there are people with the resources to track down US residents via address and possibly phone number. Perhaps a new thread on the USA forum specifically requesting help to trace a possibly living person. As you know we are not allowed to give names of the living or possibly living so all correspondence will need to be via PM.

You also have her work address there - why not try contacting them to see if they know her whereabouts.

Sadly a lot of the trees out there have just been copied from others which is presumably why none of the tree owners can help you.  :-\

I did find mention of a Clarkson from Hull (with a question mark) in The Pedigree Register Vol 3 but I didn't mention it as he appears to have gone off to Scotland, so probably no connection with your line. Unsure of the reliability anyway.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 June 14 07:54 BST (UK) »
Presumably you have seen this but you may be able to order it to view at your local LDS:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/016iu/ 

more:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/016iv/ 

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 June 14 07:59 BST (UK) »

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 June 14 08:11 BST (UK) »
If you are stuck with your Joseph and Samuel probably the best thing to do is concentrate on them in the hope that you eventually find a connection with the Utah Clarksons. Ask for help with them on the ERY board.

I understand what it is like to have a surname which is common in an area when you think there must be a connection between families, but proving it is very difficult. It doesn't help when they all give their children the same names either. It often comes down to viewing the original parish records in the hope that abode or occupation is given so you can distinguish between the families.  :-\

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 June 14 08:51 BST (UK) »
thanks everyone - I'll go over your advice later today!
My goal is not to find a connection particularly, but to eliminate loose ends so that i can find other clarksons that don't belong to the 'Utah' family - if that makes sense. A sort of 'negative' family history!

I have a great deal on samuel, including his apprenticeship entry, and newspaper references, poll book entries and I am researching a move to York as well..... incidentally, Samuel named  his first child, a son, 'Joseph' - and this was my relative who immigrated to NZ late in life. from Samuel onwards, i have a lot of information! Its the father Joseph the dock man that I would like to get past - especially to find who Samuel's mother was....!

Offline Deborah C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 17:18 GMT (UK) »
I also have Clarksons from Beverley, Hull who were Mormon Pioneers,emigrating to Utah 1855/56:

Robert Clarkson b1834 m Ann Clegg
Mary Clarkson b1824 m William Lark
Henry Clarkson b1812 (Henry was outcast by the church!!)
Parents of the above were Matthew Clarkson and Elizabeth Lealand who originated from Sherburn, East Yorkshire.

I dont think our families are connected, however I thought you might be interested to know that I did find a lot of information from Robert Clarksons journal which I found online, I also found a Facebook site dedicated to  which provided me with even more information and photo's.