Author Topic: Missing 4xg grandfather  (Read 13297 times)

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
Re: Missing 4xg grandfather
« Reply #27 on: Monday 12 August 13 23:14 BST (UK) »
Well now I'm confused as this cert gives him dying in the Union Poorhouse same date March 18th 1890. This is definately him. Father given as John McLaughlan and Daniel registered as McLaughlan even though on every census he uses his mother's surname, Clifford. widower of Mary McLean, correct. Grandson-in-law James McBride, correct, my great great grandfather, married to Daniel's granddaughter, Mary Ann Clifford. ???

SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 13 August 13 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Seoras,

Could there be a poorhouse in near Russells Row, Bathgate? The registrar may have written Linlithgow instead of Bathgate then. It is unusual though.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 13 August 13 11:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom, Bathgate was one of eight parishes covered by the Linlithgow Poorhouse. I had a chat with Terry (big nanook) and his trusty guidedog Usher via email last night and his thoughts are that though Daniel died in the poorhouse, he was brought home for burial and for that Russell Street Bathgate was given for his address. He had been living there with one of his daughter's. Several other relatives lived on the same street.

My puzzle now is just who was John McLaughlan and why did Daniel use Clifford as a surname his whole life yet someone knew to put McClaughlan on this death cert. Was there even a John McLaughlan or was this name given because of the stigma of the poorhouse.
On his son's (my 3xG grandfather) death cert his father is registered as Clifford and he is Clifford on every census from 1841 to 1881.

I have yet to find a marriage for a John McLaughlan to Helen Clifford but I think it will be in Ireland as that is where Daniel was born according to every census. That could be anytime between 1805 and 1815 according to the various ages given. In 1881 he is 75 and by his death 9 years later had only aged 5 years.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth