Author Topic: Great Scot! (Thomas Telford)  (Read 18115 times)

Offline Gemker

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Great Scot! (Thomas Telford)
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 09 August 14 00:20 BST (UK) »
Hi...did you ever get to the bottom of this???

iv been on ancestry.co.uk and have also traced my family back to Telford in the Dumfiesshire area in the late 1770's.
I believe the Ann Telford (1859) that you speak of is my great aunt. The Ann that i can trace has a brother named Thomas P Telford. Thomas P Telford has a daughter (Ann's neice) named Edith May Pritchard NEE Telford (married a sydney pritchard) who is my grandadmother(great)....All the Pritchards from there are all my direct and immediate family.
Annnyway, from what i can see, Anne & Thomas P (along with 4 other sisters) belong to Samuel Telford 1834-1871. Samuel and 16..(.yup 16!) other siblings belong to William Telford 1793-1869 and he is the son of David Telford 1770-........All these Telfords are from Dumfiesshire, Scotland. Thats as far as i could get. At the birth of the final David Telford, Thomas would have been 13 years old. He cant be a younger brother as Thomas' father died shortly after his birth and so i am wondering if David may be a cousin perhaps? Or maybe its a big coincidence that another large family of Telfords in the same area.
hmmmm.
If anyone could maybe add to the tree or shed some light on any possible connections i would greatly appreciate it.

Kind Regards

Gemma Kershaw Nee Pritchard