Author Topic: Teapot Query  (Read 5220 times)

Offline Felin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Teapot Query
« on: Wednesday 04 February 09 10:58 GMT (UK) »
I have a photo of a family teapot with "John and Mary Coats 1780"

My Grandmother used to say they had missed an "e" off Coats making it Coates.

This teapot is supposed to have come down the female side of our family but I am back to 14th Centuary without finding "Coates" from Durham

Family details are
Mother                          Alice Begent b 19 Jul 1904 Bucks
Gmother                       Alice Scrafton b 13 Dec 1878 Norton
GGmother                     Alice Hodgson b 18 Aug 18848 Langleydale
GGGmother                   Anne Hodgson b15 Aug 1820 Softley
GGGGmother                 Alice Parkin      b 1793 Lynesack
GGGGGmother               Elizabeth Mayor b 1737 Hamsterley

I would like to fit the John & Mary Coat(e)s into my family tree if possible and any leads would be most helpful.

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Teapot Query
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Felin,

How lovely to have such a family heirloom, but as you probably realise, if it came down through the generations the origins could have been almost anywhere, from any female branch or even on one of the male branches, family stories are a little unreliable (in mine anyway)

I suppose the best thing to do would be to trace a John Coat(e)s/Mary marriage in 1780 as it was probably a wedding gift.

Have you checked for a marriage on familysearchlabs?
http://www.rootschat.com/links/05bf/

Barbara  :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 11:25 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage of a John COATS to Mary PARKIN 6 Dec 1777 on the Hamsterley marriage transcriptions site:
http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/Transcriptions/DUR/HAM.html

I expect that on the same page, the marriage 10 Jan 1811 - Edward Hodgson to Alice Parkin was for your GGGGparents mentioned below, so possibly that's the link

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Felin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Barbara
Thanks a million - that ties in perfectly with my tree - what a great site with all those marriages in Hamsterely where most of my family came from. I will be looking at it for some time
Do you know of an Isabel(la) Hird marrying a George Scrafton on 4 Sep 1780 in Kirky Ravensworth as your surname list includes Hird
Ralph

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Glad to help, all you have to do now is find the link between Alice and Mary  :D

My husband's Hird family are from Arkengarthdale, have to go offline now but will have a look later to see if there are any links, I saw your other posting about them and will get back to it.

Kind regards,
Barbara
 :)

Online alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Felin,

Have you missed out a link between Elizabeth Mayor born 1737 and Alice Parkin born 1793 namely Mary Parkin born 1760-ish?  Otherwise Elizabeth was 56 when Alice was born!!!!
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline mim

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Re Alice Hodgson bn 1820 Softley - on the 1851 census there is a Jonathan Coates/16/Servant/bn Cockfield with the Hodgson family at Softley.

Can send full census details if needed.

mim

Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Felin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Alpine cottage - thanks I will look into this discrepancy further.

Mim - Thanks for the offer but I think Barbara has found the missing link, it appears that Christopher Parkin m Elizabeth Mayor on the same day and same church as his sister Mary Parkin m John Coates  ie 6 Dec 1777 - the teapot may have celebrated a birth of a child, or some other joint event.

Ralph

Offline mim

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Sorry I got the wrong name (Alice instead of Anne) for the person born in 1820 a Softley but it is your Hodgson family in 1851. They have a son named Christopher Parkin Hodgson but you probably know all of this already!  :)

mim