Author Topic: Rennison Carter  (Read 1767 times)

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
Rennison Carter
« on: Tuesday 08 April 14 17:53 BST (UK) »
I wonder if any one can help sort a mystery out please
Two sisters Elizabeth Ellen Bray and Emma Bray both married a Rennison CARTER
Elizabeth Ellen in Gateshead in 1905 she died March qtr 1918
Emma in Gateshead in Dec qtr 1918

I had thought there was only one Rennison BUT I now know there were two cousins
Rennison  son of John Carter and his wife Margaret b 1878 this matches the 1911 census for Elizabeth Ellen's husband
and Rennison son of Joseph Carter and his wife Barbara b 1896

The fathers John and Joseph were brothers sons of a John Carter and Isabella nee RENNISON

The question is is there anyway I can sort out if it is one or two Rennisons that marry into my Bray family with out getting the marriage certificates? They are not on our direct tree but as their uncle another Rennison died in a colliery accident I am interested in their story
The father of the Bray girls was a brother of my husband's great grandfather.Is it possible that anyone can check the parish marriage records for me please?
I think the marriage of Rennison Carter and Elizabeth Ellen would be in 1905 Heworth
Rennison Carter and Emma Bray would be in 1918 inHeworth
I also think Elizabeth Ellen married in a double wedding with her brother William to Hannah Mary Robson.
Hope you can help
Trees
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline glenclare

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rennison Carter
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 18:10 BST (UK) »
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NNNC-R47

I have been trying to make out the details on the younger Rennison Carter's military service papers but they are very worn and blotchy.
I am not sure if he was in Durham in 1918 to get married.

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 22:31 BST (UK) »
Many thanks this marriage confirms what I have for Elizabeth and ejust wish I could find the same fir the marriage of Emma and her Rennison
Elizabeth and Wmma were daughters of Richard Bray and Emma nee CARTER   is it possible their mother and husband  or husbands  also relate?
Rennison b 1886 was son of John and Margaret Carter  did he or his cousin son of Joseph marry Emma?

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 April 14 00:36 BST (UK) »
There are some Rennison Carter names on Durham Records Online. The 1921 birth may be in Gateshead - mother's previous name Dixon. I hate to say mother's maiden name just after the slaughter of WW1 as Dixon could be a widow. Notice the 1905 marriage is more accurately placed in "High" Heworth.

http://www.durhamrecordsonline.com/SearchResults.php 

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 April 14 11:00 BST (UK) »
Now that Rennison died in 1942 I have been looking for a suitable birth registration . I seem to be missing him and a Rennison born 1911 ...he was with his parents Rennison and Elizabeth Ellen on the 1911 census but I haven't found a birth for him.
It is a pity the military papers for Rennison b 1897 are so badly worn (I think part of the burnt collection) I can only really make his age, height  and address out no next of kin etc.
His  probate was granted to his sister and brother in law. Surely if he had children or a widow they would have had probate before a sister?
I have found 9 carter births after 1919 mother Bray in Gateshead the first being an Emma. If these are Rennison and Emma's children it is interesting that the last one I can find so far is Douglas Q3 1933 and then a Rennison death  Q1 1934  CARTER Rennison Gateshead 4710a 1020
So this looks to me that it was Elizabeth Ellen's Rennison who went on to marry her sister Emma

Now who was Mrs Carter nee Dixon? Was she married to a Rennison will chase that today
Many thanks for the help.

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 April 14 12:35 BST (UK) »
Oh dear more problems
The Durham Mining Museum site http://www.dmm.org.uk/individ1/i17002.htm
shows a grave for a Joseph CARTER born 1885 who died in a mining accident in 1932 with a wife Margaret A and sons Joseph b 1815 died 1932 and RENNISON 1821 who died 1942
BUT Joseph m Margaret ARMSTRONG in 1914 and Joseph born 1915 mother ARMSTRONG is on Free BMD But the Rennison birth is registered mother DIXON
Can anyone suggest what is happening here please?
I think Joseph Snr was likely to be the son of John and Margaret brother of the Rennison who married the Bray sisters
(I have now found the registration of the Rennison 1910 son of Rennison and Elizabeth Ellen)
 ???

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 April 14 14:22 BST (UK) »
Oh dear in a way I wish I hadn't found the wonderful Durham mines Museum site
I have now found that John Carter the one who married Isabella Rennison and started the trail of all the chaps named Rennison Carter also died in a mining accident
With three members from the same family dying in mining accidents i really must include their stories on my tree even though they are side shoots
so this is a brief look at the family
John CARTER born 1822 m Issabella RENNISON died in Silkworth mine in 1886 age 64

DurhamMining Museum http://www.dmm.org.uk/colliery/s001.htm#i07337
"Carter, John, 11 Oct 1886, aged 64, Stoneman, fall of stone from roof while renewing timber"
His son Rennison born 1852  died in 1885 in Elizabeth mine Newbottle frrom Gas and water.
Joseph born 1854 (son of John b 1853 brother of Rennison) died in Heworth colliery in 1931 from injuries recieved when he fell against a tub at the colliery.

What a sad story this is turning into.
 :'(

Oh no another two John b 1891 and Joseph b1887 son sof Joseph 1854-1931 above were both killed in an explosion in 1909 West Stanley Colliery
I am greiving for poor Barbara wife and mother

mcmullin.me.uk