Author Topic: Margaret MacGregor Mackintosh  (Read 2450 times)

Offline ibbotson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Margaret MacGregor Mackintosh
« on: Saturday 01 February 14 00:18 GMT (UK) »
Looking for a death for Margaret Macgregor mackintosh, nee Speedie. She married George Mackintosh about 1904 in Edinburgh. Her husband George Mackintosh went to Canada along with his children James & David around about 1909/10. I have found them on the Winnipeg 1916 census and it shows George as a widower. I can find no reference for Margaret in Canada so am assuming she may have died prior to the family moving to Canada. Any help appreciated.
Ibbotson, de Woolfson, Haynes, Chapman, Shoveler

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret MacGregor Mackintosh
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 February 14 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi

You will need to use Scotlands People for that type of info.  It's a pay per view website but there is free index

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 February 14 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ibbotson,
     Found this McIntosh family, Manitoba, Canada. 1911. (Please note different spelling of name)
This is a split Census. George is last name on Page 16. Margaret & family on Page 17. Found the family first using son David's name & age.
                    Census Year: 1911.
                    Surname: McIntosh.   (Try: *intosh)
                    Given Name: David.
                    Province: Manitoba.
                    District Name: Provencher.
                    Sub-District Name: St Vital.
                    Sub-District No: 47.
                    Page: 17.

Margaret Mcintosh, age 26 born Sept 1885.
          James Mcintosh, son, age 7 born March 1904.
          David Mcintosh, son, age 5 born Oct? 1906.
          George Mcintosh, son? age 3 born Dec 1908.
          Mary? Mcintosh, dau, age 1 born Dec 1910.
     All born Scotland & immigrated (looks like) 1911. (Writing is dreadful)

Again for George I used *intosh with Province, District etc. as above but Page: 16.
(Try leaving his given name out if this draws a blank)
          George Mcintosh, Head, age 26 born July 1885, Scotland. His immigration date looks like 1909. Perhaps he went ahead of the family to find work etc? Occupation is not clear. Might be Watchman. Code 6/6/72 or 79.
     Hope you can access this Census and that it is the right family. That would explain why you can,t find Margaret's death in Scotland.
                                     Regards, Dod.

"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline ibbotson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 February 14 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dod

That's a great find, I had not seen it!!! Then Margaret died between 1911-16 in Winnipeg so it narrows down my search.

Regards
David

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 February 14 04:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Ibbotson,
     I've had another look at daughter Mary's birth date on 1911 Canadian Census. I said Dec,1910 because it looked like a ditto mark under Dec, (1908) for George's birth on the line above. It's not ditto, it's just a dot. If her birth had been Dec,1910 her age would have been given in months not 1yr. (More on that later) Also, I think George's occupation is Watchmaker, not Watchman. The numbers 6/6/72 (or is it 79?) in section 18, is a code relevant to his occupation but I've never come across double digits in the third part of the number before.
     I was curious about the different years given for George Snr. and the rest of the family arriving in Canada so had a look at Outgoing Passenger Lists on Ancestry. This I think is definitely the same family as the 1911 Census. Departure Glasgow, 13th May 1911. Bound for Quebec & Montreal  aboard 'Hesperian'. Allan Line. Official No: 124266. Ticket No: 0785. Margt. McIntosh 26 Howife (Housewife). James McIntosh 7. David McIntosh 5. George McIntosh 3. Mary McIntosh 1. All Scottish. Final destination Winnipeg. Mary's age is given as 1yr. Had she been under 1yr she would have been classified as an infant, so certainly not Dec 1910 birth. This was a 21 day voyage so would have arrived in Canada abt 3rd June. The 1911 Canadian Census started 1st June but I believe, because of the widespread population & number of questions asked, it took enumerators until end of June to complete it. (Did they personally visit each household?) Anyway, lucky they arrived in time to be included. (Margaret & children should also be on 1911 Scottish Census 1st-2nd April) There is a George McIntosh on board the 'Hesperian' but a different Ticket No. & final destination to Margaret. I did find a George Mackintosh 24 Watchmaker possibly travelling with Wm Mackintosh 27 Warehouseman (brother perhaps?) both Scottish & both final destination Winnipeg, aboard SS 'Ionian', Allan Line, Official No: 113989. Departure 6th March, 1909 bound for Halifax & Portland. Not sure if timescale fits in with Mary's birth but then how accurate are birth years on Census Returns? Hope some of this information is helpful & not spoiling your 'joy of the hunt'. 
                                          Regards,    Dod.

Offline ibbotson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 February 14 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dod

I have also found them aboard the Hesperian and noticed the George further down the passenger list so not sure on that one as yet? not seen the SS Ionian so will check it out. George is on the 1916 as a widower and brother-in-law to Thos H Oliphant.

I will try and check on the 1911 Scottish census to see if the family are still there.

After Margaret's death, George married a Winifred Kennedy about 1924. I am still looking for both Margaret's death and the marriage details to Winifred, so if you come across either I would be very grateful.

Many thanks for your interest in my post and don't apologise in spoiling the joy of hunt!!!every extra information opens another door.

Kind regards
David

Offline ibbotson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 February 14 14:33 GMT (UK) »
This is a big ask!!! but if there is anyone who has a subscription to the Scottish People website would they be willing to do a look up for the Mackintosh family as above on the 1911 census. I do have a family photo of them all together.....but there are 5 children on the photo? and I can only find proof of 4 on all the documents I now have. I would like to find the last one if that's possible.

Regards
David

Offline Midlad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 February 14 18:31 GMT (UK) »

Unfortunately Scotlands People is a pay as you view site £ 7 for 30 credits a lot cheaper than a

many  sites. 1 Credit to search and 5 to download see the census or certificate .

Midlad

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 11 February 14 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ibbotson,
     Thought I might as well finish what I started so here's info from 1911 Census.
     Margaret McIntosh 26, Head, Married. James 7, George 3 & Mary age 1 are living at North Richmond St, Newington, Edinburgh. (2 rooms with widows) All born Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland. Although David, (who is on Passenger List) is not listed on Census, it does say that Margaret has been married 7yrs and has 4 out of 4 children living. (This should mean only Margaret's children from present relationship ie. marriage to George, not any children that either George or Margaret may have had to an earlier marriage/relationship.)
     Mary is the only daughter & youngest child, both on this Census & on Passenger List, so on your photograph showing 5 children, is there only one girl? If the youngest 2 are both girls, would it be safe to say Mary is the elder & any child younger than Mary, male or female, must have been born in Canada?
     Another puzzle to ponder on. Hope you find the answer.
               Regards,     Dod.