Author Topic: James Thompson - Leith  (Read 781 times)

Offline Maxn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
James Thompson - Leith
« on: Sunday 09 February 14 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Endeavouring to obtain details of James family. James it is believed was born 12th June 1799 in Leith and was married and died in Tasmania. I have been unable to find out when James came to Australia and whilst details of him are sketchy to say the least any assistance on his Scottish history would be greatly appreciated.
Maxn.

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Thompson - Leith
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 February 14 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi maxn,

Had a look at the public trees on Ancxxxry, and found lots of trees mention him, his BMD complete, but no mention of parents. As Scotland Peoples website is a pay site, but free when using the index only, you get a few James Thom*sons when using a wild card, but it has hard to pin down the correct one.
Sometime the Scottish Naming Convention can help,

1st son named after father's father

2nd son named after mother's father

3rd son named after father

1st daughter named after mother's mother

2nd daughter named after father's mother

3rd daughter named after mother

Hope this helps.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline Maxn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: James Thompson - Leith
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 February 14 02:08 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Tom. I wouldn't be surprised if those on Ancestry didn't get the info from me as I have quite an extensive Family Tree. How James came to Tasmania is a bit of a mystery. I believe he came fairly early in the Colony's history (married in Hobart in 1830) and it is possible that he may have been  part of an "organised" immigrant transaction - not a convict. I have run out of credits on "Scotland's People" and will need to bite the bullet again to see if I can find him. As it is I have a couple of Scots in the tree  ( McKenzie/Junor) and I am finding it difficult to go back further than my GGGrandfather John McKenzie c 1820.  He was a Mariner and possibly died at sea. The Junor/Junner connection is quite large.
Kind regards, Max