Author Topic: LOOKING FOR ANY TODD FROM DURHAM UK.  (Read 6646 times)

Offline Peter Hayes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LOOKING FOR ANY TODD FROM DURHAM UK.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 01 January 12 20:07 GMT (UK) »
The Mary Ellen Todd I referenced above seems to go by the name Ellen Todd in the registries...she was born in or about 1887 and married into the Messenger family in 1909.  She and her husband lived for a time at 4 Seymour Terrace, Bishop Auckland.  Hope that helps.

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 01 January 12 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter yes thats great. I can check the census and attach to her family.

As she may have come from the Bishop Auckland area it should be quite easy to find her parents I have most of the census's for that area.

Back soon

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline Peter Hayes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 02 January 12 01:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, that would be very helpful.  Several of the graves are in Bishop's Aukland, I have visited them when in the UK. 

Offline enzoward

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 11 February 13 23:16 GMT (UK) »
I have just come across this thread while updating my family tree - I discovered that a Todd married into my maternal grandmothers family, the Messengers! Was great to see the information re Mary Ellen Todd & Frederick Messenger. My Great Grandmother was Fredericks sister, Lucy Messenger. I have family information on this line of Messengers if anyone would like it! The confectionary business must have still been around in 1970 as my Mum remembers one of her Messenger relatives (a Confectioner) made her wedding cake!!!

Would love some information on other members of the Messenger family if anyone has it! 

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 11 February 13 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Enzoward ;D

Nice to see this connection is working and someone is getting feedback of some use. If you post what info you have perhaps Peter will come back online, you are related in some fashion ::)

Cheers

Neil

Offline Peter Hayes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 12 February 13 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Enzoward and Neil, hope everyone is well.  It was fun to read this latest post.

Yes, my grandfather did have a sister Lucy (my mother's aunt).  This is what our family knows about Lucy (Enzoward, feel free to course correct on anything we may have wrong):

Lucy married into the Vale family and was based in Coventry.  Her husband was involved in the motor trade in some way (car dealership?).

Lucy had two daughters, Charlotte and Betty.  Betty married a fruit grower and moved to Kenya, but my mother remembers her coming back to England later in life.  Charlotte (whom my mother remembers fondly), married an architect and settled near Birmingham.  She remembers Charlotte having two sons and a daughter. 

In terms of the confectionery, apparently it was still going in 1970.  My grandmother ran the business until she retired.  She closed the business (1950s?).  However a cousin of my mother's (Norman Messenger?) opened a similar business and ran it for a number of years afterward.  I would bet it was Norman's business that made your mother's wedding cake.

Hope this helps.  Needless to say, I am interested in any information you may have on this side of the family.  Also, my mother (Marion Messenger, now Marion Hayes) may be able to fill in some information if you have any questions related to the Messengers, she will be 90 this year but is still as sharp as a razor.

Peter

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 12 February 13 17:37 GMT (UK) »
One year on and Bang a connection, at least a Messenger one. Thats great, interesting about the tie between your families and the Todd line.

I haven't put this in before to save confusion, but, I too have a Messenger connection. My Grandmother was Ellen Messenger. ::) Not on the Todd side however, my mum's mum. She was born 1865 in Melbourne. The full family has yet to be established as some of the connections are a bit cloudy. But it would be interesting to see if there is a connection.

Neil :D

Offline enzoward

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 12 February 13 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Lucy Messenger was my Great Grandmother, not sure where you go the Coventry bit from??? My Grandmother, Charlotte Miriam Vale was born in Bishop Auckland, my Grandfather was Philip Clive Newcombe, 3rd Generation architect from Newcastle upon Tyne. Lucy died at the age of 89 in a nursing home in Malvern. My Grandparents moved from Jesmond in Newcastle in the 1950's to Worcester where they lived till the 1980's when they moved to Ormskirk in Lancashire. Philip died in 1989 and Charlotte in 1990. They had 3 children, Michael (who is married with 2 sons, & 2 granddaughters) - they all live in the USA), my mother (Susan - 3 daughters, 3 granddaughters & 2 grandsons) and Richard (2 daughters & 1 Grandson). Lucy married Herbert Vale, a car engineer. There other daughter was called Betty and she married Richard Carne. They had 2 sons, both of whom are married and have 2 daughters a piece. Betty & Richard did move back to the UK, I met them on many an occasion when they visited my grandparents who lived next door to us (funnily enough my middle sister now lives in waht was my grandparents house, next door to my parents).

It was indeed Norman that my Mum mentioned!!!!!! Its amazing how all these "relatives" pop up!!! Peter if you would like names/dates/places for my little bit of the Messenger story please e-mail me at (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Peter Hayes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 01:25 GMT (UK) »
Herbert Vale, who married Lucy Messenger, was from Coventry originally (according to my mother).  I think that is the connection.  I also sent by email a more complete overview of our end of the family.