Author Topic: Jane Cowie b.1886  (Read 5510 times)

Offline Gregyboy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jane Cowie b.1886
« on: Saturday 28 April 12 20:24 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find a distant relative of mine, Jane Cowie, she is a mystery.

Jane Cowie was born on 4th April 1886 at 45 Yardie, Buckie to Alexander Cowie and Margaret Thomson. She was the oldest of six siblings. (I can't find her sister Georgina either - b.1899 and married James Wilson)

I have no idea what happened to her.

She married her cousin George Cowie on 15th March 1945 at Strathlene House Hotel, Portessie, Buckie.

Her husband and cousin George Cowie died on 6th February 1967 at 10 Titness Street, Buckie, and on his death certificate it says he is a widower.

I have searched right up to the present day for her death at the Records House in Edinburgh, but I cannot find anything. I have tried variations of her name, but there may be other variations I don't know of that I haven't found yet.

I have considered the fact that she may have emigrated or left Scotland. I'm not too sure. I do know that her sister Georgina Cowie married James Wilson, had six children and they definitely left Scotland, I just don't know where.

I would appreciate it if someone would be able to help me track down this Jane Cowie. (Finding Georgina would be a bonus)

Thanks,

Greg

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Cowie b.1886
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 April 12 23:34 BST (UK) »
Can you locate George's grave? If Jane predeceased him she may be in the same lair or at least it might mention when she died!
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Gregyboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 April 12 20:19 BST (UK) »
I don't think she is to be honest.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that George was previously married to Agnes Thain, and on the Moray Heritage website it says that George and Agnes are buried together.

If Jane was buried in Scotland it would probably mention her on the Moray Heritage website.

If she had gotten married and had children I would have been able to conclude that they may have emigrated as that's what I have done for her sister Georgina.

I'm assuming she emigrated, I was just wondering if anyone would actually be able to help me track her down or where she ended up after her marriage to George Cowie in 1945.

Offline rhodamackenzie1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 May 13 16:02 BST (UK) »
Hi - if you have not already found her I think your Jane is on ancestry now in a public tree - looks like she died in Aberdeen 26th April 1962
1962 COWIE JANE     F 76 ABERDEEN NORTHERN DISTRICT ABERDEEN CITY/ABERDEEN 168/01 0725
I have not actually opened it in SP to check though!
Rhoda

Offline Gregyboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 May 13 13:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Rhoda,

That is the correct Jane Cowie, I actually ended up finding her a couple of months after I put this post up. I thought she'd died in Buckie but she died in Aberdeen. Normally if they die in Aberdeen there is still a way it can be registered in Banffshire but I don't think hers was which was quite strange. I have it in my ancestry tree as 26th April 1962 at Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, her husband died a couple of years later at the age of 88. I still find it bizarre that they were 1st cousins!

Thanks,

Greg

Offline rhodamackenzie1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 May 13 13:22 BST (UK) »
I've found a few 1st cousins in my lot in Rathven (mostly catholics!) I think we've all turned out alright though  ;D

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 May 13 13:33 BST (UK) »
I see from ancestry tree that Georgina and family moved to Lancashire.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gregyboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 May 13 18:28 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Since there aren't any other trees on ancestry about the Wilson's the tree you were looking at was probably mine. Just when I thought that family disappeared off the face of the earth they remained in Britain. Out of curiosity I found a marriage for Alexina Wilson as she married someone with the surname Thain (common in Buckie) and then I found a death for this person with the same birth date as the Alexina Wilson I'd found in Buckie. I actually found that James and Georgina had a daughter down in Fleetwood who is still living, and two of their daughters married two brothers from Buckie.

Thanks,

Greg

Offline agrt

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 October 21 09:37 BST (UK) »
Georgina Wilson (née Cowie) was my grandmother. She and my grandad James Wilson moved to Fleetwood Lancashire England when my mother, Alexina, was 10. My mum had 5 sister & 1 brother. My dad was also from Buckie. He & his family moved from Buckie to Grimsby when my dad was young. My dad’s brother married one of my mum’s sisters.
My grandmother died in the late 50’s & my grandad died 1960. My mum & all her sisters have died. My uncle, Jimmy Wilson, is the only surviving. He carried on my grandad’s fishing business, but sold the trawlers in the 80’s, when the fishing industry was crumbling in the 80’s. He moved to Dorset.
Mum & her sisters would have been very helpful to you, concerning their aunt. I am not sure how much interest my uncle took in the family tree