Author Topic: Robert Warnecke -Crimean Conflict  (Read 2164 times)

Offline Casey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Robert Warnecke -Crimean Conflict
« on: Wednesday 07 October 09 11:19 BST (UK) »
Seeking any Military connection for Robert William Warnecke, born 27 May 1838 Dublin, Ireland, prior to 1871 when he was a tent maker in Liverpool, England.
AIF Australian records suggest/state he fought in the Crimean, but not proven.
His father Henry Warnecke born Hammeln, Hanover, was in the 85th Foot Regiment, 2nd Dragoons 1816-1843 Discharged at 46 yrs.
His brother Henry Warnecke was a Sergeant, 14th Foot 2nd Battalion, Buckinghamshire Regiment, he stayed in Melbourne, Australia after the Battalion left in 1870.
Robert Warnecke's son, Thomas W McKnight Warnecke was killed in WW1 AIF  France 2 May, 1917, 3rd Pioneer Batt.
Many thanks
Kay
Northern Territory
Australia

Dempsey Hogarth Clark Raftery Emery

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Warnecke -Crimean Conflict
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Kay

Was he living at 10 Kirkdale Road in 1871? If so, I think the occupation is time keeper.

Unfortunately to research men discharged 1855 to 1872 in Kew, you need to know if they were in the cavalry, infantry, artillery or about 4-5 other series. Findmypast will be putting surviving records online by 2011 - maybe sooner for these early records. Then you should be able to do a name search.

If his papers have not survived you only have the muster books. And for these there are about 200 per year, as each unit had it's own. If you haven't got his marriage certificate or the birth certificates for all his children (while he served) it may be worth considering, as one of them might have his regiment.

You could also check FindMyPast for overseas/regimental BMDs as these will also give his regiment.

Ken

Offline Casey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 21:01 BST (UK) »
Ken, Thanks  for all your information, it has been very helpful.
Robert Warnecke only known marriage/childrens births was not until post 1870 so that excludes those possibilities. Will keep trying.
Cheers Kay
Dempsey Hogarth Clark Raftery Emery

Offline mbrookes

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 March 10 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Kay,   have I been in contact with you before?
    Anyway Robert Warnecke lived in Melbourne in Green Street Richmond in the 1870's and 1880's.   This was a stone's throw from where his brother Henry lived in White Street Richmond.   Robert married twice and there are many descendants of both brothers living in Melbourne.

As you probably know Henry at least was a musician, not to sure about Robert.  However their father was also and he  ended up as a Band master for the Royal Scots Greys in Edinburgh.  A few years ago I contacted a descendant of Robert who was a traditional Jazz musician and had a group "Willie Warnecke's Warblers".  This man seemed to be in his eighties when I spoke to him and was still playing cornet in small groups.  He lived up in the hills and did not seem to welcome a visit so I never got any further. 

Henry Warnecke was a soloist at very many functions such as Royal visits, the cricket, the Melbourne Cup etc.    He also was conductor of his own band as well as many others which all played at his funural in 1896.

regards,  margaret