Author Topic: Norfolk parishes 1700's (& Presbyterian baptisms)  (Read 4919 times)

Offline estiman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Norfolk parishes 1700's (& Presbyterian baptisms)
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 18:02 BST (UK) »
Our posts crossed - thanks lizdb.  I am completely lost in the niceties of non-conformist churches/ movements.  Does the fact that this is a Unitarian record shed any light on my problem (which is mainly one of distance - Walsoken/Wisbech to Norwich)?

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 18:05 BST (UK) »
No idea!

Only that if someone is of a particular denomination or religion and is determined to worship in a Church of that denomination or religion , and there isnt one locally, they may travel some distance to the nearest one.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline estiman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 23:17 BST (UK) »
I've started following up some of the leads:

Alwina, thanks for the suggestions.  I think the Burgh St Mary would be too far away from Walsoken.  However, the Norfolk archives show that there was a St Margaret's Chapel in King's Lynn.  Unfortunately, the dates given for their microfilms are a century too late, which probably means that it didn't exist in 1704.  As for the other chapels listed, I have no idea where the differentvillages/ towns are located.  Tried checking the ones within a reasonable distance, according to Google maps, but no joy.  Google maps does show a St Margaret's some 7 miles from Walsoken but it doesn't seem to exist.  As for the Ancestry search, it seems to refer to the LDS FamilySearch from what I can see.

Have I covered all your links?
Cheers
Ray

Offline estiman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 23:42 BST (UK) »
Lizdb, also thanks for the inputs.  From what I can see, the Octagon Chapel was completed in 1756, 52 years after the record I have! ???  And also, if it is now Unitarian, the BBC religions site seems to say that the Unitarian religion didn't reach England till 1774.  (double  ???).  No wonder I can't get my head round this.

I have found that Walsoken was part of the Freebridge Marshland Hundred.  Following up on this I came across "A General History of the County of Norfolk..." edited by John Chambers (free ebook).  On page 485, under Clenchwarton, Freebridge Marshland Hundred, it says "42 miles.  St Margaret.  P456"  Not sure what the 42 miles refer to? St Margaret might be its church? Page 456 doesn't seem to reveal much... Ah well! 

Google maps seems to think there is a St Margaret's some 7 miles from Walsoken but all I can see is green fields!

Isn't family history fun!.  Good job I like 'detective' work  :)

Cheers,
Ray

Offline Alwina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Kemp. Bloom. Reynolds. Saul. Norfolk
Cathie Durham.Ireland.London
Walker. London
Cutts. Rawlinson. Suffolk
Langmead. London Dorset. Cornwall

census information Crown Copyright.
from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 12:18 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I’m assuming the names of Elizabeth’s parents correspond with your research - Robert and Margaret?

This couple had several other children baptised at the Chapel -

Peter, 17 April 1702 (Robert is shown as a Grocer and Schoolmaster, parish of St Swithins)
another Peter,  16 July 1706, Robert is Schoolmaster of St Swithins
James, 7 May  1709 Robert is Schoolmaster of St Margarets
and Abigail, 10 February 1711, again Schoolmaster, this time St Martin of Oak

Strangely, some of these children were also baptised in the parish in which they lived at the time - James and Abigail at St Margarets, Norwich, and Peter at St Swithin.

It looks as though this family did live in Norwich, and moved around a bit.

Yorkslass

Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Smowton, Yarmouth/Norwich 1770
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 15:39 BST (UK) »
Do you have Robert/Margarets Marriage estiman?

2 Entries on FreeREG for possible Marriage;
05 October 1698, St Margaret, Ormesby St Margaret, Norfolk
Robert COOK, Single Man, to Margaret MOLLETT, Single Woman
2nd Entry has them as Robertus and Margaretta

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline estiman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 16:17 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

I was trying to establish whether this was the person I was looking for.  She got married in January 1738, in Walsoken, as a 'spinster of Walsoken'.  I was hoping to find an older brother, William Cook, of same parents, but no luck so far.  He was married in Wisbech in December 1726. Thanks for your info Yorklass - so this Elizabeth does not look promising.  An additional complication in trying to identify these 2 births is that there are three counties coming together at this point!

Incidently, the Ancestry reference for the baptism was "Norwich, the Octagon Chapel (Presbyterian or Unitarian)".  Source citation: National Archives, Kew; Source information: Provo, UT, USA (aka LDS).  On checking with FamilySearch, I found the record in question but they give the 'Christening place' as 'St George's, Norwich'.

I think I'll put this one on the back burner... :(

Offline estiman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 16:25 BST (UK) »
Just seen your post Trish.  I would say that's definitely (...rash?  :) ) them, given the St Margaret reference, some 70 miles from Walsoken.  This seems to confirm that this is not my Elizabeth Cook, which in itself is a positive result, so, thanks all for your efforts.

If ever you come across an Elizabeth Cook who seems to match the profile, I'm very open to suggestions... (cheeky  :) )

Ray