Author Topic: James & Agnes Diamond  (Read 36413 times)

Offline marriedwithkids

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
James & Agnes Diamond
« on: Friday 24 November 06 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi all...
Looking fro info on James & Agnes(neeSmith) Diamond ....they were in Kirkmaiden about 1800 where 1 of their children was born...John Diamond.....it is said they had 7 children but am unsure of where...could some body please check for me.....could you also check to see if they were married in Scotland or it is said they were Irish immigrants.....i am in Australia and it is almost impossible for me to check myself.....i don't have a credit card to use the pay-per-view sites...
thanks all
Vickie
Muddle\Sussex
Shears \Cornwall\ northumberland
Lee\Hertfordshire
Matthews\Essex
Plumb\Cambridge

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: James & Agnes Diamond
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 November 06 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Vickie

These are the children showing for James and Agnes Smith, from IGI:

1. ANNE DIAMOND  Christening: 09 SEP 1802 Kirkmaiden By Drummore, Wigtown, Scotland
2. HUGH DIAMOND Christening: 17 JUN 1786 Kirkmaiden By Drummore, Wigtown, Scotland
3. JAMES DIAMOND Christening: 08 MAR 1793 Kirkmaiden By Drummore, Wigtown, Scotland
4. MARY DIAMOND Christening: 03 MAY 1806 Kirkmaiden By Drummore, Wigtown, Scotland
5. JEAN DIAMOND Christening: 16 OCT 1795 Kirkmaiden By Drummore, Wigtown, Scotland
6. WILLIAM DIAMOND Christening: 14 MAY 1797 Kirkmaiden By Drummore, Wigtown, Scotland
7. JOHN DIAMOND Christening: 17 OCT 1784 Kirkmaiden By Drummore, Wigtown, Scotland
8. JOHN DIAMOND Christening: 14 JUN 1800 Kirkmaiden By Drummore, Wigtown, Scotland

In respect of the two John entries (7/8), likely the first died and they used the name again.

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 November 06 21:34 GMT (UK) »
The earliest birth showing here is 1784 with the first John. Given their birth years,(c. 1750s?) they do not show in the first census that is relevant for genealogical purposes, the 1841 Census.

There is no marriage showing for them on Scotlands People. There is a submitted entry for what looks like their marriage perhaps in Ireland:

ANN SMYTH     Marriages:Spouse: JAMES DYMON    
Marriage:  29 DEC 1787  Donaghadee, Down, Ireland

Agnes & Ann are variants. The dates are slightly out if they are the same couple given they were already having children in Scotland by 1784. But if the right couple, at least you have some indication as to where they may have come from in Ireland to follow up on.

Monica

Offline marriedwithkids

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 November 06 23:43 GMT (UK) »
thanks for the info and the quick response...looks very like my family and apparently both were born in Ireland and migrated to Scotland so that sort of fits as well....
Vickie
Muddle\Sussex
Shears \Cornwall\ northumberland
Lee\Hertfordshire
Matthews\Essex
Plumb\Cambridge

Offline dolphin53

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 October 10 12:54 BST (UK) »
Hi marriedwithkids,  I am a direct descendant of James and Agnes Diamond and I still live in the Kirkmaiden area of Dumfries and Galloway. I have been researching my family tree, and I came across your post quite by accident, I hope you read this, I dont know how else I can get in touch with you. My maiden name is Diamond.

Offline kitty92

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 March 11 02:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I am a descendant of John Diamond b.c. 1800 and Margaret McGaw b.c. 1804 their son William is my 2xggrandfather would love to hear from you and what you have discovered re their family
look forward to hearing from you ...kitty 92

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 March 11 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dolphin and Kitty

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Vickie (marriedwithkids) has not been online here since March 2009 so may not be receiving these messages unfortunately.

Monica

Offline kitty92

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 March 11 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi MOnica,
Thasnks for your response it is good to see someone is looking, I see your helpful information in previous messages and thank you for them, are you connected and if so where do you fit in?please keep in touch I do want to contact Dolphin too as she is a direct desc and lives in the area so I hope she responds sooooon
kind regards
Kitty

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 March 11 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kitty

No, I am not connected to the families, just helped out earlier with some info. Hopefully you will get a response  :)

Monica