Author Topic: roberts family from bethesda  (Read 9349 times)

Offline kassejayne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
roberts family from bethesda
« on: Sunday 21 September 08 15:37 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have been researching my roberts side of the family in bethesda north wales and have come a bit unstuck
I found john roberts slate quarryman born 1864 with his wife elizabeth and three sons robert, thomas and henry
the problem  I have is that when I then tried for the 1881 family search census there is only one john roberts born in bethesda...with a mother ann and a stepfather thomas owen but the date is  not right.
there are other john roberts born ...within the area of Llanllechid  which I believe bethesda is a hamlet off. so I am not sure which way to go as I don't have any parent names to go off.
the family left bethesda in approx 1892 and moved to st helens merseyside...and according to the 1891 census none of them spoke english
If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it.
thank you
kassejayne
Riley Smith Dillon Roberts Smart Ryder Lancaster Wilson Deane Garton  Lay Mather Mercer Jump Blyth

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: roberts family from bethesda
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 September 08 15:39 BST (UK) »
If you start with the census that you do have in FULL then we can try searching for you.

Pauline

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 September 08 16:40 BST (UK) »
Hi
Welcome to rootschat.  As Pauline said it is helpful if you can give a census reference then we are sure we have the right family before doing too much research.  I am assuming they are at RG12 4669 F33 p 27  in 1891.   In that case it is interesting that they are living next door to a Robert Roberts age 60 - possible relative??   Worth keeping in mind anyway.
Andrea

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 September 08 16:57 BST (UK) »
This might be a difficult one as there are two possible John Roberts, both with father Robert, in 1871.    The one I favour is RG10 5733 F29 p19 and that is because father Robert is a quarryman - as is the one next door in 1891and the age fits better too.
Robert Roberts 49
Margaret 44
John 7 all b Llanllechid
It looks as if Margaret dies and Robert remarries before 1891.
When searching the 1881 you need to widen the birth dates a bit and you get several Johns born Bethesda and area.   
You really need to get a birth certificate for one of their children so that you know Elizabeth's maiden name and then a marriage certificate to confirm John's father's name.   A bit of an outlay but essential with such a common name in Wales.
Andrea

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 September 08 16:59 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome to rootschat,

I have tried to back track through the censuses looking for Elizabeth. 1891 and 1901 she gives same place of birth and both are 1863 but then trying 1881 and further back is not so reliable.
I would say that a birth certificate for one of the children is essential for Elizabeth's surname and then try to find a marriage which would give you both their fathers' names and maybe even addresses.
best wishes
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 September 08 17:00 BST (UK) »
apologies for repeated info. ::)

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 September 08 17:08 BST (UK) »
At least we are both agreed on a way forward - or should it be back!  In 1901 their youngest child Elizabeth is age 8 months.  As the census was taken late March that makes her probable birth date around July 1900.   Looking for a birth registration then might work.  I am not sure which district St Helen's comes under but it might be worth writing direct to the local office and asking for a certificate at about that time with parents John and Elizabeth.
Andrea

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 September 08 17:51 BST (UK) »
I think it's Prescot.

Offline kassejayne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 September 08 07:50 BST (UK) »
Hi
thanks to you all...I never expected to receive any replies let alone so many and so quickly so thanks for your time and interest
I will definately go and get a certifcate for one of the children as you say it is the only way to backtrack
I have only been doing family research for a short time and it has been wonderful for bringing family together as everyone knows a little bit of something even if it is only a rumour that sometimes turns out to be right and interesting
I am going to bethesda today....just got to see it....
thanks

kassejayne
Riley Smith Dillon Roberts Smart Ryder Lancaster Wilson Deane Garton  Lay Mather Mercer Jump Blyth