Author Topic: The Weaver family of Bromyard in 1700s  (Read 3340 times)

Offline tullox

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Weaver family of Bromyard in 1700s
« on: Monday 14 July 14 08:29 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any information about the Weaver family specifically Samuel Weaver and wife Hannah who had the following children (IGI)
Richard, Samuel, Hannah, William, Allen , Thomas.

They were all baptized in a Non Conformist church in Bromyard.  Does anyone know which Independent churches were in Bromyard from c 1757 to 1778? A Samuel Weaver married a Hannah Edwards in Bromyard in 1756 but I do not know in what church.

I am interested in finding out about the family as in 1782 Hannah b 1759 married Martin Barr ( part owner of the Royal Worcester Factory).I believe from what I have read that Martin was a draper before becoming part owner of the Worcester factory therefore I believe the Weavers must have been in trade of some sort.

Any suggestions about how to trace the Weavers would be most appreciated.

Thanking you
Sue

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Weaver family of Bromyard in 1700s
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 July 14 09:12 BST (UK) »
I think the records should be available at the Bromyard Local & Family History Centre.  I can check later this week when they are open http://bromyardhistorysociety.org.uk/archive1

The societies book "Bromyard a Local History" does say that the Congregationalists built a church in Bromyard in 1702 and a Register of Baptisms was begun in 1696 

Kay

Offline tullox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 July 14 09:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for offering to check up in the local records. It's a long way from Adelaide to Bromyard!!

Looking forward to hearing from you later.

Sue

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 July 14 09:19 BST (UK) »
No problem  ;D - I live only a few miles away.  Fingers crossed there is something of use.

Kay

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 July 14 16:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue

Went to the History Centre this morning and both Samuel and Hannah Weaver were married by Banns at St Peters Church in Bromyardin 1756.  Both were listed as of the parish and Samuel signed his name. Witnesses were John Deveraux and W?  Stephens.  No occupation was given for Samuel at the time of his marriage or on any of the christening of his  children.  The christenings were at the Congregational Church on Sherford St, Bromyard(on the north east side) .  There are no records at the time of any marriages at the Church.  You may be interested to know that whilst the church has been empty for many years and used to look like this.   http://www.rootschat.com/links/018od/
It has recently been converted to housing and now  looks like this http://www.rootschat.com/links/018oe/

The marriage of Martin Barr and Hannah Weaver in 1882 was by licence at St Peters and lists him as of the parish of St Michael, Worcester (no occupation given) and Hannah Weaver as of the parish.  Both signed their names and there were 4 witnesses - difficult to read but I think three may have been Mary, James and Richard Atkins

I also found the burial at St Peters of a Hannah Weaver(of Norton) age 63 on 6 Jan 1799  and a Samuel Weaver (of Norton) on 7 March 1793.   If this was your Samuel and he was living in the rural parish of Norton to the north of Bromyard including Bromyard Downs then if is more likely was involved in agriculture.

Hope this is of use and sorry not to find anything more useful re their occupations

Kay

May be completely unrelated but the Law Advertiser on 1831 does refer to a William Weaver the elder and William Weaver the younger - late of Bromyard - who were drapers  http://www.rootschat.com/links/018oi/