Author Topic: Police constable-Galway  (Read 27952 times)

Offline Jax49

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Police constable-Galway
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 16 October 07 13:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply brian.

Since I last posted I have found who I believe to be my G Grandfather on the Ancestry site ,where they list police officers in Ireland. I had viewed the 1911 census at my local LDS church and on it was his age and I could link it to the age of a Charles on ancestsry. If indeed it is him he joined in Galway and seemed to go everywhere. He married a Jane  Adam from Londonderry, married in Enniskillen, had children in Cork, Kerry, Galway and Clare. He certainly travelled! He ended up in Cornamona retired and having a new career as a Postmaster and farmer. Wow! I am at present awaiting the film from the LDS relevant to my grandfathers police career, if indeed it is him.

Will update as and when.

Jacqui.
Bradshaw Tyldesley/Worsley Lancs. RIMMER Liverpool/Birkenhead/Eccles Lancs. Dale Congleton.
Storey Kendal/Eccles. Ryan County Galway Ireland.
O'SULLIVAN Oughterard/ Cornamona County Galway, Ireland. Butler and Burke, Count Galway.  Cowburn Atherton, Manley Worsley. Durban (various spelling) Chilvers Coton Warwickshire. Phidiam/Fidium Worsley.

Offline Brian1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 16 October 07 15:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Jacqui,
I am pleased that you have managed to get much further with tracing your G. Grandfather. I didn't know that Ancestry has a site for police officers, which will be a big help for future research. I had to go to Dublin to the records office for details of my ancestor's police records. He joined in 1851.
Strange that he ended up in Cornamona. I spent a weeks holiday there about 10 years ago. It has a saw mill on the outskirts but little else in the way of employment ( except for tourism ).
Best of luck
Brian
Arnold ( Lancs ). Gordon ( Lancs, Scotland ). Dowling. ( Ireland, England, Massachusetts, Australia, Buenos Aires ) Pugh ( Pew) ( Cheshire & Lancs). Cordial ( Ireland )

Offline Jax49

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 17 October 07 17:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian,

Ancestry gives the film and page only. I just typed in Charles O'sullivan and there he was. I then went to the local LDS FHC and ordered the film for £2.70. cheaper than a flight to Dublin!! If it isnt the correct one then its back to the drawing board.
What kind of information did you find by the way? I am not sure what to expect.

All the best

Jacqui.

Bradshaw Tyldesley/Worsley Lancs. RIMMER Liverpool/Birkenhead/Eccles Lancs. Dale Congleton.
O'SULLIVAN Oughterard/ Cornamona County Galway, Ireland. Butler and Burke, Count Galway.  Cowburn Atherton, Manley Worsley. Durban (various spelling) Chilvers Coton Warwickshire. Phidiam/Fidium Worsley.

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 17 October 07 17:33 BST (UK) »
Hi , it should tell you where they lived what they worked as and who owned the house/land . who was in that house. If R.C. or C-of-I , if the could read and write.
Migky ;)

Offline Brian1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 17 October 07 23:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Jacqui,
The documents on Irish Police are in the form of a ledger. It gives the name of the constable, age on joining, former profession e.g. farmer. place of joining and county, the person who introduced the contable to the police force and other marks of distinction e.g. height etc. It also gives the place he trained and the County to which he was appointed. It also gives any misdemeaners and the reason for resigning, as well as any promotions.
Sadly it did not tell me where he lived prior to his joining the force, just the place he joined.
Brian
Arnold ( Lancs ). Gordon ( Lancs, Scotland ). Dowling. ( Ireland, England, Massachusetts, Australia, Buenos Aires ) Pugh ( Pew) ( Cheshire & Lancs). Cordial ( Ireland )

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 17 October 07 23:44 BST (UK) »
Hi , it should tell you where they lived what they worked as and who owned the house/land . who was in that house. If R.C. or C-of-I , if the could read and write.
Think this refers to details on census record not what is in police records?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Jax49

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 18 October 07 16:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks Brian,

It would be fun it there was a misdemeanor, but I doubt it! I think Charles served for quite a long while and just retired. What I am hoping for is his whereabouts in 1901 seeing as none of his children were born conveniently around that time! They seemed to go from county to county so it hard to pinpoint a place.

Thanks again, I hope I get lucky

Good luck with your search,

Jacqui.

Offline Jax49

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 27 October 07 16:29 BST (UK) »
Just to update. I have viewed the microfilm, and sure enough it was my G Grandad.

The text was very difficult to understand lots of numbers that make no sense to me at all. Charles O'Sullivan went through the ranks to become Head Constable. Interestingly in 1873 he was fined the sum of £2, a lot of money in 1873!
He served in Clare, Kerry and Limerrick.
On his county of origin it says Galway then underneath Mayo! In 1911 he was in Cornamona which is on the border of Mayo, so perhaps he was born in Mayo but lived in Galway. Perhaps he returned to his roots.

If anyone has knowledge of the meaning of all these numbers I would be glad to hear from you.

Jax

Offline Brian1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 31 October 07 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jacqui,
If you can let me know the numbers you recorded from the microfiche then I will see if they have any correlation to those I recorded.
Brian