Author Topic: Reilly's - Templetogher Galway  (Read 9600 times)

Offline Whitwickuser

• RootsChat Extra
  • Burns, Grimley, Robinson, Reilly, Gould, Jayes
    • View Profile
Reilly's - Templetogher Galway
« on: Monday 25 February 13 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I'm looking for any birth details for a Patrick Reilly born around 1827 believed to be in Galway. He married a Mary Tarmey & had 7 sons - 5 emigrated, finally settling in Leicestershire (James,John,Thomas,Patrick & Martin) one (Edward) we believe emigrated to America and another, Luke, remained on the farm around Williamstown, Galway. Any information on Patrick senior, Mary or any of their boys would be most appreciated

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Reilly's - Templetogher Galway
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 February 13 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

It is best if you state what information you already have to avoid unnecessary searching and work by Rootschatters.

For example do you have any of your family in censuses - Irish or UK?

Family Search has some births/baptisms here . Do you have those details or birth certificates?

What kind of information do you want re the boys?

For Patrick and Mary it may be difficult because civil registration did not begin generally until 1864 so you would be looking at Parish Records. Do you have an approximate date for marriage?

Apologies that it is all questions but it would be helpful knowing what you have already.

regards
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Whitwickuser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 February 13 17:38 GMT (UK) »
You're right sorry.. Believe Patrick was born around 1827 & his mother may have been called Honoria. Mary Tarmey we believe was born around 1841, fathers name John. Using the children's ages as a basic guide- Patrick & Mary may have married around 1857. We think Patrick was alive in 1890 as he is not named as deceased on his son's marriage certificate. With reference to Patrick's son's we are particularly interested in Edward (born around 1873) who we believe emigrated to America though he was boarding with brother in Whitwick, Leicestershire in the 1911 census

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 February 13 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,

is this your family in the Irish censuses?

1901  Reilly   Templetogher

1911  Reilly  Templetogher

heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Whitwickuser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 February 13 18:01 GMT (UK) »
 They are the ones!  :) - thank you so much for your help.

Offline Coolcam1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 February 13 00:35 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother was from the parish, I know of this family. They lived in an area of the townland known as Polnagat. Local tradition has Patrick Reilly married to Mary Tarmey. Their son Luke married Bridget Quinn, whose daughter Mary Kate married a distant cousin of mine, too distant to prove. Also, Patrick had a sister, Bridget Reilly, she married Patrick Murphy in 1866, her father Luke was deceased.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FG8X-LFB
I believe that a gentleman from Whitwick, Albert used to visit these families years ago. You may be connected to him.

Offline Whitwickuser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 February 13 13:04 GMT (UK) »
I'm almost certain the Albert from Whitwick is my father..he did visit & used to be in contact with a gentleman..I dont have his name handy but McDermott rings a bell I'll confirm later. Unfortunately my father passed away a few years ago so I can no longer check these things with him. I know he always thoroughly enjoyed his visits & meeting up with distant relatives..again though these links have gone with him. I didnt realise that Patrick snr had a sister so many thanks for that snippet and for their fathers name. There are still a number of O'Reillys living around Whitwick & Coalville (the ones that moved to Whitwick added the O on the insistance of the local parish priest - called O'Reilly)..why they moved to Whitwick is still a mystery, possibly to work in the coal mines, though that must have been a shock after living & working on a farm. Does anyone remember what happened to Patrick's snr son Edward? Thanks again for the info, & I'm chuffed that my dad made an impression!

Offline Coolcam1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 February 13 16:45 GMT (UK) »
I never met your dad but we knew of each other, believe he wrote a book. Once went to a Historical Group event but was told your father had just gone. Will try to awaken his 3rd cousin in Lancashire (they used to be in touch, she is also related to me) and send you a PM. Cannot help with Edward/Edmond after 1911.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F5FS-V8Y
Best regards.

Offline Whitwickuser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 February 13 18:21 GMT (UK) »
That's right he was heavily into the Whitwick Historical Group & wrote a couple of books. Its a shame you missed him I'm sure he would have loved a chat. I know now that he visited Mary Kate, who must have been his cousin, with my sister on one visit. I'll try and get hold of my aunt, the last of dad's brother's & sisters, to see if she has some more information.
I'm new to all of this, I haven't really grasped the private message concept but would be happy to receive one..just give me a bit of time to work out how to open it! If you can awaken a third cousin that would be good..