Author Topic: William & John Limmer, Tuddenham Saint Mary  (Read 2817 times)

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
William & John Limmer, Tuddenham Saint Mary
« on: Sunday 30 March 14 22:19 BST (UK) »
Does any one know of John Limmer, miller, from Tuddenham St. Mary, but also may be listed as coming from Little Barton (Barton Parva)?

I have a William Limmer, who appears to have died in 1801, and a John Limmer who was sued testator fieri facias.  My understanding is that this was to do with a debt that the executor of a Will (william's Will) was liable for and having failed to meet the committment John Limmer was forced to settle.  Is that a correct assumption?

Any help would be great,
as always, thanks in advance,
Windy
windmills, watermills, steam-mills, bark-mills, cotton mills, &c. millwrights & millers

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William & John Limmer, Tuddenham Saint Mary
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 March 14 09:33 BST (UK) »
historical newspapers:

TUDDENHAM, SUFEOLK. TO BE SOLD BY AUCTION, By JOHN WHISTLER, On the Premises, (By Order of the Sheriff Suffolk) On Saturday, the 21st day of August instant, ALL the Houshold Goods and Furniture,  of Mr. JOHN LIMMER, Miller ; comprising . featherbeds, bureau, clock, chairs, tables, and various : other articles of houshold furniture. Particulars of which will be expressed in catalogues, to be had at the principal Inns in the neighbourhood ; at the place of sale; and of John Whistler, of Worlington. At the same rime will be Sold by Auction, and by tbe Order aforesaid, subject to such conditions as will be then and there produced, A new-erected SMOCK WINDMILL, in complete repair, with the gears and appurtenances thereto belonging, situate in the parish of Barton Mills, near Tuddenham, late in the occupation of the said John Limmer. 'The sale to begin at Eleven o'clock, and the Mill to be sold precisely at Two o'clock. — Particulars to be had of J. Whistler, as above.
Bury and Norwich Post - Wednesday 18 August 1802

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 March 14 09:41 BST (UK) »
and:

NOTICE to DEBTORS and CREDITORS: ALL Persons who have any Claim or Demands on the Estate and Effects of Mr. WM. LIMMER, late of Tuddenham, in the county -of Suffolk, Miller, deceased, are requested to send an account thereof to his executors, Mr. John Limmer and Mr. John Branwhite, or to Mr. John Turner, of « Little Barton, otherwise Barton Mills, in the said county-, and all persons who stood indebted to the said William Limmer, at the time of his decent, are desired to pay the same to the executors aforesaid. Tuddenham, July -17, 1801
Bury and Norwich Post - Wednesday 05 August 1801

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 March 14 09:51 BST (UK) »
lots of Limmer burials Tuddenham but these might fit:

William Limmer, miller  20/7/1801  aged 68
Diana Limmer w/o William 7/12/1797 aged 58

George Limmer s/o William & Diana 14/4/1791
Francis Limmer        "                     2/7/1793 aged 27
William Limmer       "                     19/2/1771
Susan Limmer  d/o   "                    21/9/1780

John Limmer  snr  10/7/1791
John Limmer  15/4/1812

Diddy

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 March 14 19:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help Diddy.  I think the mill here was freehold and as she was described as "new-erected" probably only about 20 years old, so maybe William was the original owner.

Windy
windmills, watermills, steam-mills, bark-mills, cotton mills, &c. millwrights & millers

Offline maudarby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 April 14 22:28 BST (UK) »
HI Windy
The Limmers at Tuddenham were my ancestors. John Limmer was the son of William & John Branwhite was William's son in law.
Excerpt from William's will dated 1801 ' All that my windmill now erecting and building, situate, standing & being in the parish of Little Barton otherwise Barton Mills in the county of Suffolk with all the hereditaments & appurtenances to the same appertaining or belonging as (this is underlined) when complete and finished.'
The mill along with all William's other properties were to be sold & monies divided up between William's 4 surviving children.
My cousin has written a book about our Limmer family & he has made several references to the mills at Tuddenham.
Maudarby

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 April 14 11:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Maudarby,

How interesting...what is the book called and where might one get a copy from (I've got a b/day coming up).

I have seem William and John at a mill described as" in Tuddenham" and "in Little Barton" at the same time.  The two parishes are adjacent parishes so I'm thinking that they had one mill sited very close to the boundary leading to the confusion.  Any ideas?

What a good surname for someone associated with milling- "Branwhite"!

Do you know if John continued in the milling business after the sale of the mill?

Cheers,
Windy

Offline maudarby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 April 14 17:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Windy
My cousin had just a few copies of his book printed for the family.
Quotes from his book.
'There were three mills in Tuddenham, two windmills and a water mill. The Marquis of Bristol owned the land that the watermill stood on ,although the Limmers owned the mill and leased the land. The second mill was a smock mill marked on Hodskinson's map (1783) about two miles from the watermill on the main road just outside Little Barton. The third, a wooden clad post mill about half a mile from the watermill on the Barton Mills road.'

'William Limmer insured "the goods in trade at the watermill" and "his windmill built and boarded"
for £100 on 9th April 1776. (Royal Exchange insurance records)'

We then have a Thomas  Limmer (we don't know how he is related) insuring the windmill in Tuddenham in 1788 & again on 4th Nov 1795.(Royal Exchange insurance records)

An article from the Bury & Norwich Post 12th/13th October (my cousin has omitted to put in the year but it follows on from the 1795 note about insurance) 'a certain sailcloth belonging to William Limmer was stolen. William Limmer offers two guineas for information leading to conviction of these villainous fellons'

A few other bits which could be followed up.
Thomas Limmer still involved with the watermill in 1801.
The lease ran out on the watermill in 1801 which maybe why William Limmer was building a new mill at Little Barton.
My cousin thinks that the watermill was later bought or re leased from the Marquis of Bristol by a Thomas Steel (died 1838) who passed it on to his son Thomas Steel who converted the mill to steam in 1844.
Hope some of this helps.
Maudarby

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 April 14 22:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Maudarby,

In my massive database I have a few of these, and a few more, that perhaps your cousin might want to add to the revised edition! :)

REFI Index Vol. 2 No.67422 (1776)
"Wm. Limmer of Tuddenham in the County of Suffolk, Miller.  On Goods in Trade in his Water Millhouse & Granary Adjoing. timber & plaister built & thatch'd situate in Tuddenham aforesaid, £100.  On his Windmill timber built & boarded situate in Tuddenham aforesd., £100.  On a House timber & plaister & thatch'd situate in Ferry Street in Brandon in the County aforesaid, Tenant Robt. Jackson, a Glover, £100."
REFI Index Vol. 5 No.77881 (1780)
"Wm. Limmer of Tuddenham in the County of Suffolk, Miller.  On a House, Tent., Jno. Dobson, a Labourer, £50.  On a Barn belonging, £10.  On a House & Stable adjoining, Tent., Rob. Turner, Labourer, £40.  On a Building xxxx Tenements & a Maltchamber, in the Occuptn. of himself & Mefsrs. Turner, Cobbin, Haselwood & Capon, £90.  On a Barn in the Pightle near, in his own Occuptn., £10.  The said Buildings being timbr., plaiste & Mud built & thatchd & sit. in Tuddenham aforesd."
REFI Index Vol. 7 No.86277 (1783)
"Willm. Limmer of Tuddenham in the County of Suffolk, Miller.  On a Building being a Tenement and Malt Chamber in the Occupation of himself and others, £90.  On a Barn in the Pightle near, £10.  On Utensils and Stock in Trade in a Water Millhouse and Granaries adjoining, £100.  On a House, Tenant, John Limmer, Senr., £50.  On a Barn belonging, £10.  On a House and Stable adjoining, Tenant, Mr. Middle ditch, £40.  The said Buildings being situate in Tuddenham aforesd.  On a House situate in Ferry Street in Brandon in the County aforesaid, Tenant, Robert Jackson, £100.  The said Building being timber or timber & plaister and mud built and thatch'd.  On a Windmill timber built & cover'd with boards situate in Tuddenham aforesaid, £100.  On a House lath and plaister built and tiled situate in Mildenhall in the County aforesaid, Tenant, Wm. Hingsby, £50."
The entry I have for 1788 still mentions William and a John junr, but no Thomas? No 106482 dated 1788/05/02?
I do have Thomas Steel picking up the lease for the watermill in 1801, but he seems to have also acquired the smock mill in 1808 from a Jeffey Dobito.
The entry about the theft of sail cloth is very interesting, I've already added it to my db.
I have no Thomas Limmers associated with Suffolk windmills?

Thanks for your help, and I hope my bits add something to your cousin's research,
Windy