Author Topic: Clark's in Paisley  (Read 2421 times)

Offline Rah1980

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Clark's in Paisley
« on: Tuesday 01 June 10 11:25 BST (UK) »
Hello all, I am hoping somebody might be able to help or have more info on this branch of my family. Basically I can only get as far back on my Clark line to a John born about 1820 Paisley. I have been unable to find his birth/baptism record on Scotlands people and I can not find him on the 1841 census either (have seen a possible living with two Charlotte Clark's but they don't tie in 100% unless they are an aunt and cousin). The first record I have of John is that he married Jane Mary Mccaffery in Dundee in 1842 and he was a weaver (later a cloth tapper). I have him in every census he was alive other than the 1841 and he lived the rest of his life in the Dundee area. He had 7 children that I know of William, Robert, John, Catharine, Henry Mitchell, Alexander and Cecila.

John died in 1891 and his death was registered by his eldest son William, however William was not very enlightened about his family history and did not know what his fathers father was called but he did put down that he was a solider, for his grandmother he named her as Elizabeth with the maiden name of Clark. I can't find any other evidence to support that.

As explained I have found a possible in 1841 living with two Charlottes, I have traced the youngest one as far as I could and she married a Daniel McWalter but died not long after. On her death record her father was a John Clark Soldier and Charlotte whose maiden surname was Maines (I know from 1841 that Charlotte senior was born in Ireland). I just can't seem to get any further and would appreciate any help or suggestions as to where to go now. Is there any way of accessing old miltary records for Scotland?

Thanks for reading

Sarah  ;D 
Flintshire Parry, Price, Lloyd, Jones, Williams, Roberts, Ellis, Holland and Davies. Mostly from Brynford area.
Denbighshire Hannam, Evans
Scotland Clark, Duff, Ferrier, Cruikshanks, Robertson, Anderson, Mciver, Finlayson, Hodge, Galloway and Barrie
Midlands Shaw, Davenport, Skidmore, Ball
Ireland Mccaffery

Offline Steph75

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Clark's in Paisley
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 October 14 01:55 BST (UK) »
Hi - I am researching this family also. I am from John Clark and Charlotte (Maines) son Robert Clark who married Susan Guthrie.
I've just found Charlotte McWalter, Roberts sister, would love to hear from you!Robert and Susan had quite a number of children and is be happy to share with you.
Hope to hear from you
Thanks
Steph