Author Topic: Sergeant Walter James Radwell Service Records  (Read 7861 times)

Offline nadine a

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sergeant Walter James Radwell Service Records
« on: Friday 30 November 12 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi

My Grandfather Uncle was a Walter James Radwell Born 1898 Northamptonshire England and found that he was killed in action,

Walter James Radwell
Born Northampton
Death Date 2nd October 1918
France and Flanders
Rank Sergeant
Northamptonshire Regiment  2nd Battalion
Number 14591

l am unable to find any service Records for Walter, l do know from a site that he was buried in France, DOUAI British Cemetery Nord France but the site for me is a little confusing, l am Very unsure in searching Military Records and any help or any information would be greatly appreciated, l have just also found a picture of Walter in his uniform and would be lovely to find out more about him to pass on to my grandfather.

Kind Regards

Nadine
ward, Harris, Bevan, Evans, Allen, Taylor, Radwell, Blackwell, Cherry, Bradshaw

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Sergeant Walter James Radwell Service Records
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 November 12 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nadine,

There is a Medal Card for him but around 70% of WW1 service records were lost in the bombing in WW2.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 November 12 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Unfortunately - over 60% of WW1 service records were burnt during the WW2 blitz

There is an entry for him on the Medal Roll Index which shows he was awarded the Victory and the British medals and also noted is 15 Star

Theatre of War was France and he entered there 26.7.1915

Death Date 2nd October 1918

The MRI and the cwgc entry are noted that he was Killed in Action on 12th Oct 1918 - not 2nd
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Stebie9173

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 November 12 15:28 GMT (UK) »
The 26th July 1915 is a date I associate with the 6th Battalion rather than the 2nd Battalion, so he may have switched battalions.

The name is ringing a bell, so I may have come across him before, possibly as a picture/obituary article in the local papers.

The date of death seems to be before Douai was retaken by the British, so he may have died as a POW or at least killed in action and then buried by the Germans.

I shall have a look at what extra I have on him later.

Steve.

Edit: Incidentally his grave has been photographed by the war graves photograpic project:

http://twgpp.org/information.php?id=2334029
Researching : Beeby (Titchmarsh / Peterborough), Brooksbank (Peterborough), Northamptonshire Regiment 1914-1918

Offline Stebie9173

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 November 12 19:19 GMT (UK) »
I remember him now. He was indeed with the 6th Battalion and then switched to the 2nd Battalion.  I have entered several notifications of woundings against his name in my records. I will try and narrow them down to the right battalion and time so that we can estimate when he switched battalions.

In the meantime here is his obituary from the Northampton Independent of 26-10-1918:

Researching : Beeby (Titchmarsh / Peterborough), Brooksbank (Peterborough), Northamptonshire Regiment 1914-1918

Offline nadine a

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 November 12 19:36 GMT (UK) »

Hi
Thank you Very Very Much you don't understand how much even the information you have given is very much appreciated and must be honest brought a tear on seeing the article, l am very excited to tell my grandfather as l do not believe my grandfather even knew of his uncle, you are a very generous person with you time and thank you again

Kind Regards

Nadine
ward, Harris, Bevan, Evans, Allen, Taylor, Radwell, Blackwell, Cherry, Bradshaw

Offline Stebie9173

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 November 12 19:58 GMT (UK) »
And as long as people thank me I will happily help them out.

As I said, I am currently narrowing down the date when he likely switched battalions.

I mentioned earlier that he may have been buried by the Germans, but having looked a little closer at exactly where the battalion was (pushing rapidly forward from the railway line at Henin-Beaumont to the area between Auby and Flers-en-Escrebieux), it looks like the cemetery at Cuincy would have probably been just within the British lines at that time.

I will be back with more information soon I hope.

Steve.

Offline Stebie9173

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 November 12 20:03 GMT (UK) »
At the moment I think he may have still been with the 6th Battalion in mid-1917. The link below is to a large picture of the 6th battalion Sergeants in April/May 1917 - can you spot him on there?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/northampton_museum/2994860620/sizes/o/in/set-72157608579921230/

Steve.