Author Topic: Joseph ELLIS, blacksmith and wheelwright of Port Adelaide  (Read 4991 times)

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph ELLIS, blacksmith and wheelwright of Port Adelaide
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 16:43 GMT (UK) »
The family seems to have disappeared in 1851. I can find a Joseph correct birth year living with an Aunt in Doncaster aged 16 and a student. (Unusual for a blacksmith) Another is John correct year of birth living with a Grandparent along with a brother George b1841. None of the daughters, but that is not unusual as they possibly married. Parents could have passed away, I have not checked deaths.

I think you are left with trying to find a shipping record ::)

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 16:47 GMT (UK) »
A Joseph ELLIS died 2nd quarter 1845 in Doncaster.
A Mary ELLIS married 1848 in Doncaster

Neil

Offline grantleydawn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My collateral ancestors
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all your help. I do appreciate it.

As per the BD&M indexes. Joseph ELLIS ;
married 15 Oct 1857 at Adelaide,
first child born 4 Aug 1858 at Adelaide
next child born 23 Jun 1859 at Port Adelaide,
the rest, another 9 children were born at Port Adelaide, Portland Estate or Queenstown.

His headstone (including wife & 1st child) in the Cheltenham Cemetery, doesn’t give any hint to his origins.

As per the papers ;
"The Friends of the late Mr. Joseph ELLIS (formerly of Port Adelaide) are respectfully informed that his Remains will be removed from his late residence, Oxford-terrace, New Parkside, on Saturday, at 2 o'clock, for interment in the Woodville Cemetery. W.M. JARVIS, Undertaker, Telephone 1,332. King William-road, Unley."

"Mr. Joseph ELLIS died at his residence, New Parkside, on Thursday. He was in business as a blacksmith and wheelwright for about 35 years at Port Adelaide, and he retired about nine years ago. He had resided at New Parkside for the past six years. He was highly esteemed for his sterling character. He left a widow, five sons (Messrs. J. W. ELLIS, Port Adelaide; A. ELLIS, Gawler; W. ELLIS, Queenstown; E. A. ELLIS, New Parkside; and F. ELLIS, Fremantle), three daughters (Mrs. C. J FLETCHER, Enfield; Mrs. E. S. SQUIRE, Findon; and Miss ELLIS), and twelve grand-children."

Their children ;
Mary Lowther
Joseph William
Martha Eliza
Maria Victoria
James Thomas
Charles
Albert Ernest
Edith Selina
Walter
Edwin Arthur
Frederick Herbert

The “Lowther” is from his wife’s side.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Oops :-[  Apologies Dawn I only found the two funeral notices. I only searched the Death and Funeral notices.
Just found this one though
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01e4h/
The Advertiser  Mon 8 Dec 1902
Death Notices
ELLIS  On the 4th December, at Oxford terrace, New Parkside, Joseph, beloved husband of Maria Rachael Ellis aged 68 years. "Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth, yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labors, and their works do follow them."

Joseph ELLIS of New Parkside named a defendant with others just prior to his death.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01e4i/

There are a couple of Joseph ELLIS's arriving on coastal vessels from Western Australia but not way of identifying if either of them is your man.

Possibly arrived in another Colony before settling in SA.

Have you searched passenger arrivals in WA, Victoria and NSW? 

Cando

Edit added two links and notice
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline grantleydawn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 21:16 GMT (UK) »
I definitely haven't looked at Victoria or NSW.

I tried for Western Australia but I am struggling for online indexes. Web sites have changed since I last researched in Western Australia.

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 21:29 GMT (UK) »
I wasn't referring to the younger Joseph Ellis in Australia, but to his possible parents and siblings in Doncaster UK.

If you can find a shipping record with him from Yorkshire then the previous Joseph and Mary may have been the parents. {Sounds a bit new testament} ;D

Neil

Offline grantleydawn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Because I haven't subscribed to Census web sites, I must do that at the local library.

Therefore I will be a lot slower at researching that option.

I can see on the ancestry index for the 1851 Census, residing at Yorkshire a father & son Joseph ELLIS, son born about 1834. Is this the "Doncaster" family? Obviously, I can't see the occupations.

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 22:55 GMT (UK) »
As to the census, I discounted a few of the father son options of Joseph as the sons vocation was not Blacksmith. The two Joseph Ellis's I can find in England with occupation Blacksmith are wrong age.

Looking for Ellis in Yorkshire (the most common county) is like looking for Jones in Wales.  ::)

They could however have come from any English County

Neil

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 23:17 GMT (UK) »
There are quite a few Mr J Ellis's arrived Victorian ports on Unassisted Passages. See Resources section for NSW which has them, as still part of NSW then.

http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/searchform.aspx?id=43

You would need to follow up with the ships names and get full details of passengers, If you are lucky then you could get right record and be able to order it.

Neil

Modified to question? If you are on Ancestry you should have the ability to look up Census unless you have just Australian records? My thoughts then Ancestry with only Oz records is a waste of money, most Australian records are free to search ???