Author Topic: Rabbi moses in Sydney  (Read 2664 times)

Offline pwh

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rabbi moses in Sydney
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 18 November 14 00:00 GMT (UK) »
Majm
          Your point  about whether  the  Mr Rintel  who  arrived on the Lloyds  in  1844 in  Sydney
           is Rabbi Moses  Rintel  is  a valid one.  But I think  on the  balance  of  what I  know
           I am  correct  in assuming  that  they are one and the  same.
           I will  explain  why  I think so.  I have a copy of the  obituary  of him  in  the  Star
            of Melbourne  of  31/5/1880  .It says that he  arrived  in  Sydney  in 1844.
           While it not an official document  I would  ask the   question    why would  anyone
            want to make up a story  about  such a prominent  and well respected  figure.
            I have  looked up  websites  of  Australian  Jewish  organizations  such as the  Board
           of Jewish  Education  in  Sydney.  They tell the same story.  So I think I am on fairly
           solid  ground  here.  The fact  there was a Mr and Mrs  Hart  I find interesting.  This is
             This is one of those times I wish the captain of  the ship  had given us a  little  more
             information. 
                                                                                           regards
                                                                                                      Pwh 

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Rabbi Moses RINTEL in Sydney 1844-1849
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 November 14 01:16 GMT (UK) »
  To that end  I am trying to  discover  details of his life  in
Sydney  between  1844 and 1849.......

http://www.nla.gov.au/ferg/ 
http://www.nla.gov.au/ferg/browselist.html
http://www.nla.gov.au/ferg/search.html

I have not gone back over the many threads re Rabbi Moses RINTEL, so I may be duplicating information previously given.   

The above links are for the National Library of Australia's online newspapers project that predates TROVE newspapers .... The Ferguson project particularly covers the 1840's.

I think that you will now need to contact our Global Moderator to seek to have your thread topic changed to better reflect the person and the location and the timeframe that this particular thread is addressing. (I think the first 24 hours after a post is made allows the poster time to adjust for oversights in a post).     It may help you to advance this specific quest about the Rabbi.   You can simply use the "Report to Moderator" button to make contact. 

Peter, perhaps you could modify your topic heading to read Rabbi Moses RINTEL in Sydney 1844-1849.

Cheers,   JM 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline FennerAustralia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rabbi moses in Sydney
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 11 December 16 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
My family Israel Glance and wife Rebecca (nee Abecassis) emigrated from Leeds to Melbourne in the 1860s. Rebecca was the daughter of Jacob Abecassis born in Mogador, (Essouirra) Morocco. His wife was Elizabeth Levi born in Hamburg. I am wondering if Henry Cohen Pirani who was the son of Benetto Cohen/Cohen Pirani and Reyna Abecassis was related to my ggrandmother Rebecca Glance (nee Abecassis) from London / Morocco ? With thanks for any information you can provide, Tim McCabe, Perth, Western Australia