Author Topic: Michael Lynch and Margaret Brady m1876 Mullingar  (Read 18978 times)

Offline AirtinHame

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Lynch and Margaret Brady m1876 Mullingar
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 17 April 14 12:38 BST (UK) »
A most interesting discussion and there is certainly a mystery but I cannot work out exactly where. The RC marriage entry clearly gives Maria (Latin for Mary) Pentland's parents as Henry and Julia and the parent's address as Athboy. There were Pentlands at or near Athboy all the way through the eighteenth, nineteenth and into the twentieth century but there is no record of Henry or Julia in 1901. The marriage entry does not say they were alive at the time of the marriage so they may have died when Mary was young or, indeed, it is possible that they died or emigrated between 1899 and 1901.

There are two death records for Henry Pentland; one in Lurgan in 1893 and one in Drogheda in 1884 neither of whom I can currently connect to a known family. there is one Julia Pentland death in Dublin in 1902 but she was the spinster daughter of William Patrick Pentland and Julia O'Toole.

In the 1901 census John Lynch's wife's age is recorded as 23 and in 1911 as 33. It is, as we all know, unusual for a woman's age to be recorded as higher than her correct age. John Lynch and Mary Pentland's marriage is also recorded in the civil registers but there her name is recorded as Mary Bridget. There is a birth record for Mary Bridget Pentland in 1881 and Family search records her parents as Matthew Pentland and Bridget Dougherty Pentland. In 1958 Bridget M. Pentland's death was recorded in Dublin at the age of 69, therefore, born in 1888/9. The nearest match I can find for her is a daughter of Matthew Pentland and Bridget Dougherty, Bridget Catherine who was born in 1888 but there is no trace of her in 1901 or 1911.

Jimmie, in your tree on Ancestry you give John Lynch's death as 1934 and details of his birth but again do not indicate the sources; , may we ask what they are?

In 1883 Matthew Pentland, widower of Nassau Street, Dublin married Charlotte Carr. When their son John Joseph was baptised the following year his sponsor was named Kate Pentland, likely his aunt which confirms that Charlotte Carr's husband was also the hisband of Bridget Dougherty.

Perhaps I am being extremely thick here but I cannot see how John Lynch can be the husband of Mary Pentland, parents Henry Pentland and Julia and also be the husband of Mary Bridget, daughter of Matthew Pentland and Bridget Dougherty.

There are a couple of other pieces of evidence which add to the picture but don't appear to solve the mystery. Two of Matthew  Pentland's and Bridget Dougherty's children were enumerated in the Glassnevan orphanage in 1901 and a third was living with her aunt in Liverpool. The aunt was Julia Pentland which would suggest she was a sister of Hanry and Julia's daughter Mary but then Matthew Pentland also had two sisters called Julia; one died age two in 1865 and the second was born in 1869 which feasibly makes her Henry's wife but no proof of that has been found.

If you are now as confused as me I apologise but it does appear to be an awful mess.

Offline jimmiedalch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 20 April 14 08:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Airtin. Am away on holiday and will respond on my return.
regards
Jimmie

Offline jimmiedalch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 08:55 BST (UK) »
Hi AirtHame

Thank you for your interest in my request but I am still no further forward and rather confused. This is what I know; Mary and Mary Bridget Pentland are the same person. Her biological parents were Bridget M Dougherty and Mathew Pentland who married on 7 November 1880 at St Andrews church, Dublin. Mary was born in Dublin  on 5 February 1881. Soon after the birth, her mother Bridget Dougherty emigrated to USA and I am unsure if her husband, Mathew accompanied her. Meanwhile  Baby Mary was sent to Athboy, Co Meath to be raised by her fathers family who I presume were Henry and Julia Pentland. Mary returned to Dublin possibly when she was sixteen to work as a Nanny for a family who resided on the South side of the City and from where she married John Lynch on 24 September 1899. Bridget Dougherty had more children in the USA and of this I am certain as a cousin of mine visited her descendant's and also her grave. Without a doubt my cousin could resolve the mystery but she is unwilling to communicate with me. Anyway this proves that the Pentland children enumerated at the Glasnevin orphanage are of a different family as they are also the wrong religion.

The detail regarding the death of  John Lynch(1934) was word of mouth from a family member so it's accuracy is not guaranteed.

I am unable to explain as to why Mary Pentland Lynch's age is recorded as 23 & 33 in the 1901 & 1911 Censuses but can confirm it's incorrect.

Once again AirtinHame I thank you for your interest and would love to hear from you should you have further comment.

Kind regards

Jimmie

Offline AirtinHame

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 30 April 14 06:04 BST (UK) »
Roman Catholic Church records for St. Andrew's parish show the marriage of Matthew Pentland of 16 Crompton Court; father John Pentland, mother Bridget of 16 Crampton Road and Bridget Dougherty of 21 Anglesea St; father Christopher Dougherty, mother Mary on 7 November 1880.
church of Ireland.

The marriage of Matthew Pentland Full age, House Painter Widower of 23 Nassau Street Dublin; father John Pentland, House Painter and Charlotte Kerr Full age, Spinster, father Isaac Kerr, Steward of 24 Upper Fitzwilliam Street Dublin took place on 10 November 1883 in Dublin at St. Anne's Church of Ireland.

There then follow five children#s baptisms between 1885 and 1891. The younger died first, in 1893 followed by her mother in 1899. The two girls, Matilda and Isabella were recorded as CoI in the orphanage in 1901 but with their father marrying first in the RC then CoI church I do not see what you mean by "wrong religion". No further trace has ben found of them. Matthew jnr. was resident on the cripples' home in Bray in 1901 and died there a few years later. Of John Joseph, the eldest son no trace has been found beyond his baptism. Bridget Catherine died in Dublin, a spinster, in 1958.

It is usual logical that the daughter of the first marriage would be brought up by her grandparents. This was common practice in both Scotland and Ireland well into the twentieth century. I do not see, however, where Athboy comes into the picture. As I mentioned before there were Pentlands there well into the nineteenth century but Matthew Pentland was son of John Pentland and Bridget Smith who lived in Dublin. They also had a daughter Julia who married Ernest Wilson in Surrey in 1890 and appears with him in the following three censuses. In the 1901 and 1911 censuses their niece Mary Pentland is living with them; she died a spinster in 1935 in Liverpool.

Unless Matthew Pentland lied about his marital status in 1883 the Bridget Dougherty who emigrated to the USA cannot have been his wife. All I have found for MAry Pentland's birth is the civil record but not all Dublin church records surive and even fewer have been indexed on-line.

Roman Catholic Church records for St. Mary, Haddington Road, Dublin show the marriage of Joannes Lynch, 1 Malachy Place, Father Michaelis Lynch, Mother Margarita to Maria Pentland, 1 St Mary's Rd, Father  Henricus Pentland, Mother Julia, residence Athboy on 24 September 1899; Priest Hen J Lube; Witnesses Elizabetha Greene & Gulielmus Walker.

This could be where the Athboy connection comes from. It is perfectly reasonable for John Lynch's wife to have been raised in Athboy since her parent's lived there and to have gone into service in her teens, perhaps long before she was sixteen but it is very doubtful that a child in her early to mid teens would have been given the responsibility of a nursery nurse or nanny, they were usually older. It would be most interesting to know the original source of this information.

From this analysis it appears there were two Mary Pentlands in Dublin during the relevant period. One never married and her age was correctly recorded in the 19-1 and 1911 censuses as 23 and 33. The second Mary did not marry and her age was also recorded correctly as 19 and 29 in the 1901 and 1911 censuses.

The Bridget Dougherty found in the USA no doubt existed although I have insufficient information to track her in censuses. What seems clear is that she was not the first wife of Matthew Pentland nor was she the mother of John Lynch's wife.

I hope this information helps you to sort out your mystery and thank you for helping concentrate my mind as it this review has sorted out two families who were giving me problems. All I have to do now is work out who Henry Penltand of Athboy was!

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 30 April 14 08:35 BST (UK) »
There is a Mathew Pentland (one T) buried Glasnevin 1892 age 38. comes up for address of Abbey St.

Offline jimmiedalch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 01 May 14 00:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Dathi, interesting as that's the way he spells it on the marriage record.

Offline jimmiedalch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 01 May 14 09:11 BST (UK) »
My thanks to everyone who helped but I've reached the conclusion that my Mary Pentland was the daughter of Bridget Dougherty and Mathew Pentland and the wife of John Lynch. A senior family member informed me that Mary died in 1959 aged 77 and the Glasnevin cemetery records would seem to support this. Therefore her age recorded in the 1901/1911 Irish census are incorrect. Looking at the original form it's apparent that her husband John wrote them and for whatever reason thought she was older. Also I was unable to find a birth record for a Mary Pentland for years 1878/9.

I also believe that Bridget Dougherty was the first wife of Mathew Pentland and that the marriage failed soon after Mary was born in 1881. Mathew then married Charlotte Carr or Kerr in 1883 and they went on to have five children. Although Mathew married Bridget in a Roman catholic church, I note that the marriage to Charlotte was CoI. I also note that the five children from the marriage to Charlotte were baptised in the Roman catholic fate. I therefore assumed that because Mathew was either separated or divorced from Bridget he was barred from remarrying in a catholic church.

I believe the reason why Henry and Julia Pentland are recorded as Mary's parents in her marriage record is because they were really the only parents she ever knew as she must have been a very young baby when she was sent to Athboy to live with them. Her biological mother emigrated to USA where she remarried and had a family. Mary and Bridget were never reunited,

Offline AirtinHame

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 01 May 14 11:30 BST (UK) »
There are three problems with that conclusion:

1. At the time these events occurred divorce was not available in Ireland. If Matthew Pentland remarried while his first wife was alive he had either obtained a papal annulment, most unlikely since there as a child of the marriage, or he committed bigamy.

2. When Matthew married Charlotte Carr his marital condition was clearly stated as widowed.

3. There is clear evidence from the 1901 and 1911 censuses that Matthew Pentland's and Bridget Dougherty's daughter Mary was in Wales, then England with her aunt. Her aunt then dealt with her estate and the probate records confirm's Mary's death in 1935.

I am quite prepared to provide you with copies of any of the documents which you cannot access if that would help.

The Bridget Dougherty found in the USA is clearly someone completely unconnected with this family and if it would be of assistance I am quite prepared to look at the evidence from the USA and try to identify her connection to Ireland.

Offline jimmiedalch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 01 May 14 14:03 BST (UK) »
OK I am wrong and I agree with everything you say. I was being far too optimistic. I shall now delete all before Mary
Pentland and try once again to establish who her parents were!