Author Topic: MacKenzie's of Fodderty and Ullapool  (Read 65648 times)

Offline Fransmoi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: MacKenzie's of Fodderty and Ullapool
« Reply #18 on: Monday 01 October 07 02:14 BST (UK) »
Daryl , You have just completed the search for me finding Janet and her brother's baptisms and I've just found my old notes on her descendants.
Thank you very much indeed.

I knew not to take the gravestones as gospel but I had not extended the search far enough.They were well out.
I do not recognse the Robertson farm name of Bettern/Beltern though but will have a look on http://www.old-maps.co.uk.

Janet's grandson Sandy" Kinkell" Mackenzie said she was descended from the Provost of Dingwall and was related to prime minister William Ewart Gladstone. He had a great portrait of him in his room and when I checked Gladstone's gradfather was indeed Andrew Robertson of Park House,Dingwall the local Provost and I think he married twice ! Another trail to follow on another day - It is 2a.m. here in Scotland.

Enough excitement for one evening.....!
Fransmoi
Aird,Anderson,
Babington,
Bothwell,
Clark,
Dunford,
Errington,
Fleming,Forrest,
Gerrard,
Kinghorn,
Leslie,Loudon,Lumsden,
Mackenzie ,MacLeod,McLeod,Milne,Montgomery,
Ramsay,Ross ,Rust
Shields,Sim,Sowden, Stoddart,
Turnbull,
Wallace,Woodman

Offline dmackenzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 01 October 07 02:43 BST (UK) »
No problems. I've emailed my father to ask what he knows of my Grandmother's Robertson line. He may know more else he may be able to ask her before he heads back to NZ; she still lives in Cromarty on the Black Isle. Whereabouts are you in Scotland? Dad may be interested in comparing notes before he comes back if it looks like a possible link (either with MacKenzies or Robertsons).

Cheers
Darryl
MacKenzie, Stewart, McKay, Baxter

Offline Fransmoi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 01 October 07 03:04 BST (UK) »
I will send a p m with my address, Daryl.
Aird,Anderson,
Babington,
Bothwell,
Clark,
Dunford,
Errington,
Fleming,Forrest,
Gerrard,
Kinghorn,
Leslie,Loudon,Lumsden,
Mackenzie ,MacLeod,McLeod,Milne,Montgomery,
Ramsay,Ross ,Rust
Shields,Sim,Sowden, Stoddart,
Turnbull,
Wallace,Woodman

Offline chrislb

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 20 February 08 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

My husband is descended from an Elizabeth McKenzie who was supposedly (according to England census records) from the Cromarty region of Scotland.  Also according to census records she was born around 1815 - 1818 although according to her death certificate she was born c1808.  Her father, as is noted on her marriage certificate, was a James McKenzie, occupation Stoneman (stonemason?). I have been unable, so far, to find either her baptism record or any record of James.  There are a couple of candidates but none  I can really say for certain are definitely likely.

I would be grateful if anyone can help.  Thanks!!

Regards, Christine in Australia.

Offline dmackenzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 20 February 08 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christine,
From familysearch.org, a search on the info you provided for the date range 1803-1823, turns up 2 possibilities in Ross and Cromarty:
Eliza MacKenzie, b 10 May 1807, to James MacKenzie and Margaret Bain. Cromarty parish
Elizabeth McKenzie, c 12 June 1804, to James and Majory McIntosh, Urquhart and Logie Wester parish (a couple of parishes over from Cromarty).

These might be a bit too early to be your Elizabeth?

Cheers
Darryl

Offline chrislb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 21 February 08 01:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Darryl, I have seen the second one of those which I feel is definitely too early :D also the first is a possibility but may be too early as well....  any idea what that James' occupation might have been?  Is there anyone else who has him in their tree who can help maybe?  I had thought that maybe they had a daughter Eliza as well as Elizabeth....... or her name was Eliza Elizabeth....... does that make sense?

Thanks again!! :)

Offline dmackenzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 21 February 08 01:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris,
Eliza may have just recorded a a shortened version of Elizabeth in the parish registers. Sorry, but there's no info on fathers occupation online, although there might be on the original records if you can find someone with a copy of them. You may want to post your request under a new thread. What is the earliest census in which you've tracked down Elizabeth? Was she still with her parents? Do you know anything more about James (approx birth or death dates; after 1855 the death should have been recorded), his wife or other childrens names?

Cheers
Darryl

Offline chrislb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 21 February 08 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Darryl,

The earliest census with 'my' Elizabeth is the 1851 England census where she is in London with her husband, James Harris of Essex, and daughter Martha who was 6 yrs old.  I have since obtained her marriage certificate as well as her death certificate.  She and James were married in 1844 in Middlesex.  I have not been able to possitively identify her in the 1841 England census, although there are a couple of possibles.  As I mentioned, the census records mentioned either Scotland or Cromarty Scotland as being her place of birth.  Also, as I mentioned, all I know about her father is what is on her marriage certificate, ie, James McKenzie, Stoneman.

I haven't been able to possitively place him in London in any census so far...... must have another go as I think I only tried the 1841 England/1841 Scotland census and as we are well aware there are lots of James McKenzies (as well as lots of Elizabeth McKenzies) in Scotland..... and a few scattered through England as well. 

I have no idea of whether or not she had siblings and what their names may have been, ditto her mum.

You may be right about the Eliza being short for Elizabeth.  Any idea where I may be able to find (or ask someone to find) the parish registers and have a look-see??

I did in fact have another thread for this family...... but it has been a while and I felt that this thread, since it is about McKenzies, may provide a clue or 2 more...... :D

Thanks again Darryl

Offline chrislb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 21 February 08 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Ok,

I have had another look at  Elizabeth in 1851. She and family are in Westminster, Golden Square (58 Poland St, at least that is what I think the name of it is).  I rechecked the 1841 England census for dear Lizzie and of course there were several BUT I did find one (which I had seen before but had misgivings about it) Elizabeth McKenzie aged 30 (!! she is 36 in 1851) in a household in Argyle street as a female servant from Scotland.  1851 definitely states Scotland Cromarty.  So can I assume that this 1841 Elizabeth is indeed 'my' Elizabeth??  Perhaps not but she is the most likely candidate.....  I do know that James Harris her hubby was in London in 1841 can't recall just now exactly where....

Chris :)