Author Topic: Mackenzie / Chisholm  (Read 6702 times)

Offline amh155

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mackenzie / Chisholm
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 09 July 13 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hello again GMac,

I have just found a very comprehensive tree on Ancestry for Christina Chisholm & Kenneth Urquhart, proving she is another daughter to Roderick Chisholm & Christy McGregor. The owner is knightgk, and the children agree with what I found from the records of BDM, and shipping, there are even photos of Christina & Kenneth, really fantastic info.

Happy hunting, so many families go in circles if we dig sideways!!

cheers,

Ann

Offline Tillymannoch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 25 February 17 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have Murdo MacKenzie, aged 48, and his wife Elisabeth, aged 44, at Ormiscaig in the 1861 census.  They had a son Hector, so I wonder if  my Murdo was a brother of your Hector?

Elisabeth died at Balnaluib in 1910. (She is named Eliza on her death cert) predeceased by her husband.  Murdo also appears elsewhere as Murdoch.  According to her death cert her parents were Murdo MacLeod and Mary MacKenzie.

Best,

Alison

Offline GMac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 06:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alison, 
Thank you for the Post

Offline Tillymannoch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 08:54 GMT (UK) »
I am really struggling with Murdoch / Murdo MacKenzie.  The family were at Ormiscaig in both 1861 and 1871.   He is described as "Murdo MacKenzie,  48,  Crofter of 4 ½ acres,  born Gairloch"  in 1861 and as  "Murdoch McKenzie,  60,  Crofter,  born Mellon Charles" in 1871.

His wife (Elisabeth, aged 44, in 1861 and Elizabeth, aged 50, in 1871) is more straightforward - she was baptised Elispet on 18 July 1821, parents Murdo McLeod and Mary MacKenzie, Mellon Udrigle.  She died (name given as Eliza) 16 June 1910, aged 88, at Balnaluib, widow of Murdo MacKenzie, crofter, parents Murdo McLeod, crofter and Mary MacKenzie. 

Murdo / Murdoch MacKenzie and Elispet/ Elisabeth / Elizabeth / Eliza McLeod had seven children,  all born in the parish of Gairloch.  Two, Hector and Isabella (Bella)  went to Glasgow, married and raised families there.  A third, Murdo / Murdoch was the informant on his mother's death certificate.

I cannot find them on the 1841 or 1851 census returns, under any combination of names, and I would be very grateful to know if anyone else researching MacKenzies in this area  had come across this family. 

Offline GMac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alison,
              I will try again, there was more to the last post that I sent you but it didn't go through, i'm not very good at this but will try again.
My family of McKenzie all seem to have been born in the Mellon Udrigle and Opinan (Obinen) area  Great Grandfather Hector looks to have been the eldest, born around 1795 his parents were Louis and Annabella M.S McKenzie, there was a son Murdo but he was born about 1825, my connection to Ormiscaig is Hectors wife Catherine Chisholm.
Sorry I can't be more help Alison, but don't give up keep posting the people on Roots Chat are great I would not have got anywhere without their help.      All the best GMac

Offline Tillymannoch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you!  One fact I missed out from my previous post was that, according to their son William's birth certificate in 1863, Murdo / Murdoch  and Elizabeth were married in Feb 1849, in Poolewe.  Murdo was illiterate, he signed the birth certificate with a cross.

William's birthplace looks like New Ormiscaig, but might also be Near Ormiscaig.

Offline Tillymannoch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 10:50 GMT (UK) »
I've just rechecked and have their marriage:

Jan 6 1849 - Murdo McKenzie in Mellon Udrigill and Eliza McLeod in Altantarsin.