Author Topic: Grocer?  (Read 1571 times)

Offline scots lass

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Grocer?
« on: Wednesday 12 April 06 22:28 BST (UK) »
My g/grandfather ran a wine merchants shop in roxburgh his name was James Wood, has anyone any ideas how I could trace where? Thanks
Dewar, Simpson, Wood, Pickering, Kennedy, Duff,Craig,Kidd, Martin, Moor,Reid, Pringle,McWatt.Taylor,McKillop.Paton,Porter,Prop,Ramsey,Stewart,Watson.
Perthshire. Midlothian ,Glasgow, Fife, Perthshire, Roxbugh, Middlesex.

Offline runner

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Grocer?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 April 06 23:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Scots Lass

Was it in the town of Roxburgh or the shire?
When did he run his shop?
There may be local Directories available but probably not on line - which you could refer to. They would most likely be in the main library or genealogical archive in Kelso or Hawick.
These were trades directories. Like a telephone directory before the 'phone arrived. They list by trade or occupation and some give the home address of the proprietor of a business too.
The dates available vary from place to place so you might be in luck!

I used those for Ayr and traced a relative  with a shoemaker business from the late 1800's into the 1900's

Russell
1941-2016
Oman in Caithness, Reside in Renfrewshire,
Roan or Rowan Kirkcudbrightshire/Ayrshire
Watsons in Kilrenny and Mortons in Edinburgh.

Offline scots lass

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grocer?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 April 06 15:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Russell,Thanks he ran his shop in the late 80s and in the 1871 his son William is listed as the grocer in Berwick, my mum who was born 1923 seems to remember talk of them owning a shop,will have to look into that one a bit more. Helen
Dewar, Simpson, Wood, Pickering, Kennedy, Duff,Craig,Kidd, Martin, Moor,Reid, Pringle,McWatt.Taylor,McKillop.Paton,Porter,Prop,Ramsey,Stewart,Watson.
Perthshire. Midlothian ,Glasgow, Fife, Perthshire, Roxbugh, Middlesex.